24 volt xli MAJOR PROBLEMS need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 volt xli MAJOR PROBLEMS need help

Hello i purchased a 24xli kit recently drill, circular saw,sawzall,light. Every time the drill is under heavy load it stops. This happens with a freshly charged battery. If i put it back in the charger for 5 seconds it will work again. Sometimes it will die out with just changing the bits. The circular saw will only work with one of the batteries but the other tools work with both. This problem is much worse when its cold but it is very aggravating.

Re: 24 volt xli MAJOR PROBLEMS need help

JImbob......Welcome to the forum. If it's still in the 90 day period, take it back and exchange it. I've had that set and work it very hard on a regular basis. I think your having some issues with the batteries.
    My experience has been that leaving the batteries outside on a cold night does not make them happy....good luck ..Ray

Comment

for me i replace 7 chuck from 3 drill from drill cement block dewalt has a better design i own 2 24 hammer dill 1 18 volt hammer drill my time to take them for service is get old i blow a 24 volt moter too im ready to switch to dewalt every time in for sevice 2 week or more here i come dewalt screw llc i just like them to work i talk to dewalt rep told me there design has a hole to let the dust out
      free not go if you cant use them

Comment

Originally posted by pressureman0 View Post
        for me i replace 7 chuck from 3 drill from drill cement block dewalt has a better design i own 2 24 hammer dill 1 18 volt hammer drill my time to take them for service is get old i blow a 24 volt moter too im ready to switch to dewalt every time in for sevice 2 week or more here i come dewalt screw llc i just like them to work i talk to dewalt rep told me there design has a hole to let the dust out
        huh?

Comment

Yo, pressureman.....English, buddy. Watch your spelling and grammar - it's hard to make out what in the heck you're saying.

Comment

Jimbob,

What is the date code of the tools and the batteries? Are they an older set (ie G0638 date code), or a bit newer (G0729)? There were issues with the earlier batches of these 24 volt XLi batteries.

I have a newer set myself (G0720) and have not noticed any major issues. Now, I haven't really given them a good work through, but I've run some basic tests, and they seem to be fine.

But I do know there were others here on the forum with some of the first sets released, and they had some run time and reset issues like what you state.

The production date code of your batteries are going to help us in determining that.

Comment

I don't know about the motor issue, however if you are talking about a DeWalt cordless I believe they all use either the Jacob's model 500 or 700 chuck. the ridgid 24 Hammer uses the Jacobs 700, therefor I wouldn't think switching to DeWalt would help for that. Maybe the kind of hammer drilling you do is to demanding for a keyless chuck. Next time it fails ask the repair shop what they suggest? We just don't use cordless for concrete drilling unless its fairly light duty. The hammer rate is to slow. We have an older Porter Cable hammer drill and a fairly new Bosch Roto hammer. If I remember correctly both have keyed chucks...Ray
              Last edited by roadrashray; 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I have had the same issue with the batteries since I got my set. Have you found an answer to the problem yet?

Comment

wow this sucks, anyone else with 24volt tools have good or bad luck?

Comment

this is out of control...

if yu cant reed or right let alone spelll and canned make a sentance !.......

what makes you think I'd hire you to fix anything of mine?
                    what makes you think you can operate any power tool as you probably can't read the operating manual!

You need to "proof read" your comments before submitting a reply!
                    You need to use "spell checker" before submitting your reply!
                    spell checker..abc/check on your toolbar, try it.

You should avoid those stupid text message abbreviations and use real words!

Jargon is cute and makes some people think you're intelligent. The reality is, jargon is often used as a secret language to keep those not in the club from understanding what you're saying! Use proper words, proper english, proper spelling, and people will understand you!

As far as grammar goes! yikes "they are" is "they're!" "not there or their"
                    "now" is not "know or no!"

Come on folks I hope you all went beyond fifth grade!
                    Simple sentences and using words correctly and even the correct tense should not be such an issue!

I won't ask you to avoid using a double negative or to establish proper punctuation or paragraph structure....That's asking you to do something too difficult!!
                    Notice, TO means a function word to indicate direction, TWO the number after one, TOO an adverb meaning also or very and finally TU meaning you.

You should be embarrassed putting such poor writing on the Internet for everyone to see your lack of education! finally I could care less if you're ...you're means YOU ARE....
                    twenty or eighty years old !!!! You should still be able to write a complete thought properly!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
                      wow this sucks, anyone else with 24volt tools have good or bad luck?
                      Good luck with mine so far. I haven't yet had much time to really put them through the ringer and test them out with a full, heavy, and lengthy stress load on them. But so far, my batteries (and tools, too) seem to be operating fine. Man, they have some meat to them - yes, some heft, but wow, do they ever seem to be fairly comparable to a corded tool; strength, runtime, speed, torque, etc. (yes, I know corded runtime is obviously better, before anyone says it, ).

Others on this forum have had similar problems in the past with the 24 volt XLi batteries, but I do believe that it was only really on earlier production runs. Check your date codes, and return/exchange them if you're still within the 90 day timeline, like Roadrashray said earlier.

Comment

I think Its the batteries, I think RIDGID is testing new waters with the L ION I have had to return 2 L ION drills a total of 7 times before I got 2 that have no Battery / Charger issues. 1 time because the drill gears slipped under normal load.

I say If you are in the 90 day window take it back and wait till they get it right. I only bought it and stayed with RIDGID for the exchange waranty and I lost the reciept and home depot would only offer exchange. If I have any other probs Im going back to Dewalt

Comment

The 24 volt li-ion batteries have a micro-circuit that shuts the battery down if it senses that it is overheating, which would be the case under extremely heavy loads. Putting it in the charger resets the "circuit breaker". This safety shut-off is probably happening too early on your battery, so it would need to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                          X