Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8" Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8" Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...Why?

Only available in Canada.

Just wondering why US customers can't buy this particular product?

Re: RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8" Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...W

Hmmmm. Didn't realize this. Usually, it's the other way around - we take about 6 months to a year to get what you guys have, and/or we usually only have about 1/2 the amount of selection (ie - the MaxSelect wet/dry vac isn't available here at all yet).

Maybe get a friend or family member to buy one for you and ship it out to you. However, obviously, stuff here is more expensive than there in the US (even with the dollar the way it is, we're still looking at a 40 to 20% premium on tools here.)

Comment

Re: RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8" Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...W

Here's another interesting fact about these: They do not come with a plastic case! I just got one from Canada (where my wife's family lives), and it came in the usual cardboard box, but without the nice plastic case inside.

Other differences:

No easy-swivel exhaust vent, exhaust is directionally-fixed.

Belt hook doesn't free-swivel either, but it can be removed with an Allen wrench and moved from the left side to the right side.

It also has a different trigger setup than my other Ridgid air nailers. This one has a "primary" and a "secondary" trigger, staggered one after the other. The secondary must be depressed first to allow the primary to move, and each time the primary is pulled it fires. No easy switch to bump mode; in fact, no bump mode at all.

It does have the usual safety glasses, oil, and 1,000 1" headless pins.

I haven't taken it out and played with it yet, I'll post a followup when I do.

I just have to ask Ridgid: Why no case? Will one be offered? A cardboard box won't survive long in my environment!

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by toniok View Post

It also has a different trigger setup than my other Ridgid air nailers. This one has a "primary" and a "secondary" trigger, staggered one after the other. The secondary must be depressed first to allow the primary to move, and each time the primary is pulled it fires. No easy switch to bump mode; in fact, no bump mode at all.
        This is apparently standard with 23g pin nailers in order to keep the head area clear and give better precision.

Comment

Yes, apparently it is the standard. I looked around at others and they do all appear to be set up this way.

The lack of a plastic case is definitely odd though...

Comment

I looked at the Ridgid web page and notice that they use the phrase:

"Powerful – able to drive 5/8 in. to 1 3/8 in. pins (nails over 1 3/16 in. length may not drive flush in dense woods)"

That's the first time I've noticed a company using the words: "nails over 1 3/16 in. length may not drive flush in dense woods"

At least they are honest.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that too. I guess that's where you use your smallest nail set...

I also have no issues since they warned us ahead of time. I'll have to get some 1-3/8" pins and see how it does on maple. If it works ok on that I'll be plenty happy.

Did I mention there's no plastic case? <sorry!>

Give me a couple weeks to play with it and I'll post a quick review.

Comment

Re: RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8&quot; Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...W

Forget about the ridgid pin nailer! I just acquired a CADEX 23 gauge pin nailer. It does 1/2" to 1 3/8"
                It comes with a plastic case, oil, Allen wrenches, but no brads.
                I ordered brads at the same time I ordered the nailer.

Another thing here this nailer can use 23 gauge pin nails -or- 23 gauge pin BRAD nails.
                The nailer even sports a clever dust blower port on the top side of the tool.

CADEX also makes 23 gauge pin nailers that can go up to 2 [two] inches in length!!!!!

A very nice tool !!! The model number I have is: CPB23.35

Do a Google search and you should find various reviews.
                I purchased the nailer and brads from www.floydtool.com
                They had the best price, shipping, and the complete selection of brads.

I DO NOT WORK FOR CADEX or FLOYD TOOLS..This is is for information purposes only.

Also, I too was extremely disappointed that Ridgid/ Home Depot did not offer their pin nailer in the USA and it does not include a plastic molded case!

Oh, The CADEX does provide room [sort of] to allow you to store the nails.

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: RIDGID 23 Gauge 1 3/8&quot; Headless Pinner model #R138HPA not available in the US...W

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  Forget about the ridgid pin nailer! I just acquired a CADEX 23 gauge pin nailer. It does 1/2" to 1 3/8"
                  It comes with a plastic case, oil, Allen wrenches, but no brads.
                  I ordered brads at the same time I ordered the nailer.

Another thing here this nailer can use 23 gauge pin nails -or- 23 gauge pin BRAD nails.
                  The nailer even sports a clever dust blower port on the top side of the tool.

CADEX also makes 23 gauge pin nailers that can go up to 2 [two] inches in length!!!!!

A very nice tool !!! The model number I have is: CPB23.35

Do a Google search and you should find various reviews.
                  I purchased the nailer and brads from www.floydtool.com
                  They had the best price, shipping, and the complete selection of brads.

I DO NOT WORK FOR CADEX or FLOYD TOOLS..This is is for information purposes only.

Also, I too was extremely disappointed that Ridgid/ Home Depot did not offer their pin nailer in the USA and it does not include a plastic molded case!

Oh, The CADEX does provide room [sort of] to allow you to store the nails.

Cactus Man
                  The Cadex has excellent reviews, better than any other pin nailer out there.
                  Pricey $$$ but it seems well worth it, a seller on e-bay with a good reputation is a re-seller for Cadex, he has excellent feedback. Same price as Floyd tools.

Comment

When I was first looking at pin nailers I saw good reviews for the Grex. I almost pulled the trigger on the 1/2" to 1 7/8" model, but it was very pricey as I recall. Anyone used one of these? If I could find a pinner that would set the 1 3/8" plus pins in cherry, maple and oak I would probably convince myself to get it. Using a nail set, even when it barely leaves a mark, is contrary to my principals when it comes to pinners. I gotta stand for something.

Eli
                    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Here's a review of several pin nailers. The Ridgid wasn't released at the time so it's not included.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...sectionID=1491

Comment

Well I got my hands on the RIDGID pinner last week thanks to a friendly Canadian forum member here.

Handled my needs quite nicely - set 1" pins in 1/2" red oak no problem.

Happened to have some scraps of 3/4" red oak laying around & tested the pinner on that with 1" pins. Once I got the pinner's settings right, again, no problem.

Considering that all of RIDGID's other pneumatic nailers come with their own case, it is disappointing that their pinner does not.

Probably the only con I have.

All in all, for the price, the RIDGID is not a bad little pinner...if you can get your hands on one.
                        Last edited by bigscore; 03-10-2008, 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                          Here's a review of several pin nailers. The Ridgid wasn't released at the time so it's not included.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...sectionID=1491
                          Thanks for the link Velosapien. I didn't know I was in the market for a new pinner--until I read about the newer generation. Trouble.

Eli
                          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I just bought one of these today. It's great!

Comment

Originally posted by bigscore View Post
                              Well I got my hands on the RIDGID pinner last week thanks to a friendly Canadian forum member here.

Handled my needs quite nicely - set 1" pins in 1/2" red oak no problem.

Happened to have some scraps of 3/4" red oak laying around & tested the pinner on that with 1" pins. Once I got the pinner's settings right, again, no problem.

Considering that all of RIDGID's other pneumatic nailers come with their own case, it is disappointing that their pinner does not.

Probably the only con I have.

All in all, for the price, the RIDGID is not a bad little pinner...if you can get your hands on one.
                              Glad to hear you found someone able to help you out.

I too was suprised about the lack of a case. I guess due to it's size, they figured no case, but still would have been nice to continue the trend.

Comment

Working...
                              X