X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between the two 18 v drill

Does anyone know what are the differences between the regular 18 V drill run on Ni-Cad and the new 18 V lithium battery powered drill? I was told that both drill could use either Ni-Cad or lithium. Currently there is a deal going on with the 18 v ni-cad (with 2 batteries and charger) drill (99cdn$) whereas the new 18 V lithium powered drill is going for 129 with only one battery. The Ni-Cad drill seemed to be a better deal - provided the 2 drills are the same. Any comments will be appreciated.

Re: Difference between the two 18 v drill

The $129 is the compact drill with the compact lithium battery - nice and light for lighter jobs, tight spots, electrical stuff, etc.

The $99 special is a heavier duty drill with heavy NiCad batteries. Ridgid is clearing out some old stuff. Of course, you get a bag and two batteries for less money than the $129(only one battery, no bag).

If money is no object, get 'em both. Otherwise, you gotta figure what you're use level/job type will be and whether you want/need the lithium option.

Both are good deals, I'm surprised you can still get the $99 special - my local store sold out in a day. Maybe your store got more in.........
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

The 18V NiCad drill had lots of issues with trigger control switch failure. I don't know if they got it fixed or not. there were a number of posts on this forum regarding that problem.
      I have been using the 18 V LI compact drill on the job daily for the last six months and believe it might be the best drill I've ever used with great power, light weight , super trigger control, and surprising run time for the small 1.5 batts, and the light is a great feature also.
      Last edited by roadrashray; 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
        The $129 is the compact drill with the compact lithium battery - nice and light for lighter jobs, tight spots, electrical stuff, etc.

The $99 special is a heavier duty drill with heavy NiCad batteries. Ridgid is clearing out some old stuff. Of course, you get a bag and two batteries for less money than the $129(only one battery, no bag).

If money is no object, get 'em both. Otherwise, you gotta figure what you're use level/job type will be and whether you want/need the lithium option.

Both are good deals, I'm surprised you can still get the $99 special - my local store sold out in a day. Maybe your store got more in.........
        Local store in Chatham has some still, or did last week, they may stick around now, people are jumping on that 14.4V deal now... although I love my 18V, I wish I had waited for the 14.4V...

Comment

Sorry to jump in with a question........ but whats the difference on the 18v lith with the 1.5 and the 3.0??? I live in nevada and just bought the 18v lith 3.0 w/ 2 batts, charger and bag for about $140 w/ tax. i've seen on here people talking about the 1.5 thats why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by korte View Post
            Sorry to jump in with a question........ but whats the difference on the 18v lith with the 1.5 and the 3.0??? I live in nevada and just bought the 18v lith 3.0 w/ 2 batts, charger and bag for about $140 w/ tax. i've seen on here people talking about the 1.5 thats why I ask.
            I have not seen that kit yet. Do you have a sku or part number?

UPDATE
            I think that was a price error. That kit is $224 in the store tonight, I was going to buy that at the $140 w. tax and then saw the price. Could you post the receipt and say what store was this?
            How could 2 ,3aH batts, drill chgr bag be less than the compact kit at $168? 3aH, 18V, batteries are $99 each
            Last edited by Andrew M.; 03-07-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by korte View Post
              First off, that's a great deal on the drill with the 2 x 3.0 lithium batteries @ $140. The compact drill comes with the 1.5 Ah batteries and would be considered for medium duty work. It has no hammer function, smaller and lighter weight than the larger, more robust hammer drill that is currently packaged with the 3.0 Ah kit. The Ridgid batteries, as long as they are of the same voltage, are interchangable in the tools whether they are NiCad or Lithium and whether they have an ampere hour rating of 1.5 Ah on up to the 3.0 Ah. The variable to that is that the Max Select tools handle dual voltage - 18 v or 24 v power sources.

Comment

Working...
              X