Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need a Use for My Compressor... QUICK!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Need a Use for My Compressor... QUICK!

Or, buy two more to hook them up in a little series, if you will, to better handle some HVLP spraying!

Comment

You mean you can buy just one of something? I thought everything comes in bulk Rick, you have been lying to me all these years
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        You mean you can buy just one of something? I thought everything comes in bulk Rick, you have been lying to me all these years
        that's the difference between shopping at home depot and costco

you're lucky that costco doesn't sell bidet toilet seats

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          that's the difference between shopping at home depo and costco

you're lucky that costco doesn't sell bidet toilet seats

rick.
          Maybe you should invest in a dictionary, tough guy
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            Oh, snap - busted!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              As far as the HVLP spraying, the short answer is yes, it will work.

There are plenty of low cost HVLP guns that don't have such high air requirements like the Husky (Made by Campbell Hausfeld) or Porter Cable (also sold as Craftsman) guns. They both leave fantastic results for low cost guns. The compressor will run continuosly but if it's for small projects it's not that big of a deal. I've sprayed 3 doors in one run with a Porter Cable pancake compressor rated at 3.7scfm @ 40psi/ 2.3scfm @ 90psi which is just a bit more than that Ridgid and it was able to keep up. Just make sure to hook up one of those air/particle filters as the pump continuosly running will tend to create a lot of condensation. It won't remove all the water vapor but will do a good job at removing the most damaging large water droplets.

Another option is getting a detail HVLP gun. Basically the same thing but a lot smaller. They only require about 2.5 scfm @40psi and can put out a 5 or 6" wide fan. Drawback is the paint cup is very small so you might need to keep paint handy to refill quickly.

As far as paint thickness the standard nozzles are usually for thin paints and work best with laquers and polyurethanes. Usually thinning about 15% is good enough. Don't overdo the thinning or you'll just end up spraying solvent and get paint shrinkage. You can find guidlines online of average nozzle size recommended for different types of paint.
              Thanks to all that replied .... and to all those that didn't

Painted a radiator yesterday with the detail sprayer CWS and Velosapien mentioned ($42 at Home Depot)

Worked great! Looks like a pro did it Do auto sprayers make a lot of money? because it was EASY

I was amazed at how little paint I used. Only bad thing it spurted big blobs as the can ran out of paint The compressor ran continuously while spraying but was able to keep up. Now my wife wants me to refinish her bedroom furniture and half a dozen other things around the house.

Home Depot said they didn't have any more Ridgid compressors in stock for $49 but could special order me another if I wanted it

Comment

Working...
              X