Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need a Use for My Compressor... QUICK!

I bought this compressor the other day ...now what?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OL25135-...r/EN/index.htm

What can I do with it? I already own a cordless Paslode finish nailer (best invention ever!). I pumped up every old football, soccer ball and bike tire in the neighborhood for free. Blew the dust out of all my electric motors.

Can I paint with it? I was looking at maybe stripping the latex paint off some radiators in my living room and applying a good coat of paint. I have painted radiators before with aeresol cans. What a pain in the butt. I wanted to buy a HVLP (whatever this means?) paint gun and see how well that might work. I see that there are 2 types: gravity and the other? Which is better? What type of paint should I use? What consistancy should the paint be?

I really need some other ideas or my wife won't let me buy the other 3 still on the shelf at Home Depot for $49

Re: I Need a Use for My Compressor... QUICK!

Do like I did, I went back and bought 2 more. One for each of my brother-in-laws, now my wife doesn't care if I sleep with the dang thing!

Comment

You really don't have much in the way of volume with that little thing... I think you should just send it to me!

Well, now that you've made up your mind that I'm NOT getting it... well, what can I say?

The specs don't mention was the volume is at 40 psi, but I'm going to guess it's about 4 scfm at max. An HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gun is simply not going to work for you as they usually require 8 or more scfm @ 40 psi. Likewise, a normal-sized spray gun, won't work either at the volume required is still too high for such a unit. At that low a volume, you could probably do some spraying with a "spotting" gun. They're about $29 at HD and I think Harbor Freight has one for around $18 or so. That's the little gun with the pint cup and the over-finger operated lever. They're generally used for spot touch-ups, and decorative and trim applications. I've owned one of those for years and used to use it with a twin-tank IR compressor I used to have. But the twin tank had considerably more storage capacity than your unit, although it lacked the higher pressure (mine would only do 100 psi). In any case, the spotting gun would be fine for radiators, etc. I've used mine for latex spraying of those vinyl interior window shutters, spraying poly on my furniture re-finish, and enamels and acrylics on the old car, etc.

The problem with such low volume and tiny tanks, is that you can't spray more than about 30 or 40 seconds without the compressor turning on. But for small stuff, and the little spotting gun, that may be all that's necessary.

That type of compressor is great for running your nailer, for it's portability, and of course, all those neighhood kids are going to love you for keeping their balls inflated !

As far as viscosity, I generally keep things thinned down to a good "drip", almost water like consistancy. It all depends on the spray gun's nozzle and it's ability to spray fine or medium viscosity materials. I believe most "spotting" guns will do a medium viscosity. A knozzle that is designed for "fine" finishing will too often clog, especially if the volume is marginal.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        I wanted to buy a HVLP (whatever this means?) paint gun and see how well that might work. I see that there are 2 types: gravity and the other? Which is better? What type of paint should I use? What consistancy should the paint be?
        HVLP - high volume low pressure

Gravity feed or siphon feed - gravity feed is better of the 2 types.

Therefore, best gun you could use is a HVLP gravity feed gun. Now, you are going to pay for this type of gun, but the savings is in material usage of whatever you are painting. HVLP uses less air, and results in less wasted paint due to less overspray/misting. Likewise, a gravity feed works like it's name implies, versus a siphon feed, which requires slightly higher air pressure to pump up the paint material from the canister, resulting in a slightly higher incident of overspray/misting due to the higher air usage.

HVLP gravity feed = very good, best option, but you pay for it.

On the other side of the spectrum, for comparison, is a non-HVLP, standard siphon feed spray gun. Costs less, but will use up more paint, due to about 75% of used paint material being wasted in overspray/misting, compared to about 20-30% for a good HVLP gravity feed gun.

And I'm not sure if you can use one with this compressor. Depends on the volume flow of this compressor, and the necessity of the spray gun being used.

Regarding paint to use and material, that depends on the gun being used, the nozzle being used, and the material being painted.

(CRAP - CWS beat me to the punch!)
        Last edited by canucksartech; 02-05-2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

How about for air testing on new installs?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Good for air testing new installs and inflating test balls...
            When you get into 6, 8 and 10" test balls you don't want to be inflating them with a hand pump...

Comment

PC: that compressor will do just fine for spraying your radiators. Just set the out going pressure at 35# and use either a gravity or siphon gun. I have used both on a compressor with less output than you have. For your radiators, I would use an automotive paint--quick drying and less running etc. You will need to clean them up first, tho.

Comment

PC,

Use it to blow water out of copper piping so you can make repairs.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i know1 you could sell it to me

Comment

Summer time great for blowing up inflatables. Auto uses include blowing dust off air filters and every where dirt gets packed, brakes parts, door jams, radiator fins, seats, weather stripping. Around the house very handy to get packed in dust off the fan and coils of a refridgerator, slant fins on your baseboard heating, wear a mask and you can clean up your boiler too. How about cleaning grass, dirt and dust off your lawn mover/tractor deck and moving parts, packed on saw dust and oil from your chainsaw and other small engines. No chainsaw? Well that's just another tool a man's got to have! I don't care if you don't have a single tree on your property a chainsaw is like a shot gun, you don't need it till you need it. No shot gun? Who's gonna protect your family when those home invaders crash through the front door?
                    You gonna run for the phone or grab that Mossberg, you only have a few seconds pal make'em count!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      No shot gun? Who's gonna protect your family when those home invaders crash through the front door?
                      You gonna run for the phone or grab that Mossberg, you only have a few seconds pal make'em count!
                      Ahhhh, Frankie. You're a man after my own heart. Good call, buddy.

And dammit, I don't care what no SPCA geek says, I call a squirrel a "home invader"! Same with those neighbourhood cats that piss in my garden (that's right, I said MY garden!)

LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                        Ahhhh, Frankie. You're a man after my own heart. Good call, buddy.

And dammit, I don't care what no SPCA geek says, I call a squirrel a "home invader"! Same with those neighbourhood cats that piss in my garden (that's right, I said MY garden!)

LOL.
                        Canuck, to be on the safe side I'd have to add any relative on my wife's side of the family who might be wearing a fur coat. how am I supposed to know it's not an angry bear? My eyes ain't what they use to be and if I'm wrong, well I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Summer time great for blowing up inflatables. Auto uses include blowing dust off air filters and every where dirt gets packed, brakes parts, door jams, radiator fins, seats, weather stripping. Around the house very handy to get packed in dust off the fan and coils of a refridgerator, slant fins on your baseboard heating, wear a mask and you can clean up your boiler too. How about cleaning grass, dirt and dust off your lawn mover/tractor deck and moving parts, packed on saw dust and oil from your chainsaw and other small engines. No chainsaw? Well that's just another tool a man's got to have! I don't care if you don't have a single tree on your property a chainsaw is like a shot gun, you don't need it till you need it. No shot gun? Who's gonna protect your family when those home invaders crash through the front door?
                          Franki that's quite a list there. Looks like I'm going to be busy next summer. I better run out and get those last 2 on the shelf

Comment

As far as the HVLP spraying, the short answer is yes, it will work.

There are plenty of low cost HVLP guns that don't have such high air requirements like the Husky (Made by Campbell Hausfeld) or Porter Cable (also sold as Craftsman) guns. They both leave fantastic results for low cost guns. The compressor will run continuosly but if it's for small projects it's not that big of a deal. I've sprayed 3 doors in one run with a Porter Cable pancake compressor rated at 3.7scfm @ 40psi/ 2.3scfm @ 90psi which is just a bit more than that Ridgid and it was able to keep up. Just make sure to hook up one of those air/particle filters as the pump continuosly running will tend to create a lot of condensation. It won't remove all the water vapor but will do a good job at removing the most damaging large water droplets.

Another option is getting a detail HVLP gun. Basically the same thing but a lot smaller. They only require about 2.5 scfm @40psi and can put out a 5 or 6" wide fan. Drawback is the paint cup is very small so you might need to keep paint handy to refill quickly.

As far as paint thickness the standard nozzles are usually for thin paints and work best with laquers and polyurethanes. Usually thinning about 15% is good enough. Don't overdo the thinning or you'll just end up spraying solvent and get paint shrinkage. You can find guidlines online of average nozzle size recommended for different types of paint.

Comment

The best reason to buy 2 more to sell them on ebay so you can take the wif to the Caucus Room.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X