Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Decker VXP seems to have not been a hit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & Decker VXP seems to have not been a hit.

I was at home depot the other day...happened to notice that the Black and Decker VXP stuff was all maked down to about half price....seemed like a decent tool...the universal bttery and such......the flash light looked a little small as did the inflator....can imagin that much of a need for a cordless basketball inflator...but Im not a marketing guy.

Just my gut feeling...but does not look like the VXP line was a hit....and seems to be on its way out...a short life.

What do u all think???

Re: Black & Decker VXP seems to have not been a hit.

Some of the stuff other than the drill seemed kinda handy - a friend of mine actually remarked last week that he'd buy some if it was half price. We're in Canada though, so it's probably still regular price. Other than that, I think Ryobi has muscled in on Black and Decker's territory. They had a big Ryobi set on before Christmas at an HD Friday sale(8 or 10 piece kit, not sure, probably 8) for $199CAD. Then again, the Black and Decker stuff was everywhere, Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, so maybe anybody looking for it grabbed it. Black and Decker is not the stuff it was 30 years ago, so maybe people moved on well before the latest stuff came out. Probably grabbed the Ryobi stuff as a price point alternative and haven't looked back. Maybe....maybe there's someone out there who has the BandD new stuff and has a different take.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I looked at these when they first came out and thought there was no way they would sell after the versa pack stuff. I even looked further into them and saw some of the earlier designs they thought about using which looked at lot like the 14V Li-Ion drill they have. Much better looking and might have stood a chance. Only issue with the 14v is it's an internal battery, but I have heard good things about it.

What they need to do it get there ducks in a row and release a 14 or 18V Li-Ion set similar to the 18V firestorm at Lowes. Or if possible release a 18V Li-Ion batteyr for that line. They already seem some what commited to the 18V since most everything they offer is using these batteries, but there are still issues such as battery prices all over, too many different 18V batteries released and who they are distributing through. For example you can buy a 18V battery at HD or Walmart for $35-39 that does not have 1 hour charging capabilites, but a quick trip to Lowes and buy a Fire Storm battery that will for a little over $20 or two $40. Also there are not less than 4 different 18V drills plus a hammer drill plus a pivioting drill/screwdriver for 18V. There is to much confusion and too much stuff out there. They really need to stream line it and focus on some quality and they would be a hit.

Comment

I remember when I first saw them. The concept looked interesting but not really practical. Even for a homeowner the drills are small and wimpy considering there's no shortage of competing low cost drills that can easily do the same job better. I can't imagine the tiny cut saw being of much practical use, even for a homeowner. How much demand is there for a ball inflator and yet another small vacuum cleaner?

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          I remember when I first saw them. The concept looked interesting but not really practical. Even for a homeowner the drills are small and wimpy considering there's no shortage of competing low cost drills that can easily do the same job better. I can't imagine the tiny cut saw being of much practical use, even for a homeowner. How much demand is there for a ball inflator and yet another small vacuum cleaner?
          I agree with you and the previous post. For the money you can get a stronger, longer run tool so what did this line have to offer? I'll give them points for unique styling and marketing but it's mostly gimick and no substance. I want strong, well made tools with long run times and guarantees! Ridgid can still make and sell plenty of cordless cutoff tools, 1/2" heavy duty impact guns and other useful real life tools. Come on Ridgid.

Comment

For the money I could buy several Harbor Freight drills and throw them away and they will have just as much power well maybe I actually have one and it's junk. My Northern Tool 14.4V I got for free has more power than the 18V HF drill.

The ball inflator was neat as was the USB power source, but not a strong selling point. As far as the saw apprantly B&D sell there Versa saw pretty well and this was the removable battery option for it, so there must be some uses.

BUt like I was saying before would you rather be using something that looks like this VPX
            http://www.electronicsshowplace.com/...DHVPX1212X.jpg

or this 14.4V SC1400 Li-Ion With the exception of a cheap chuck, variable speed and removeable battery this thing could be the basis for a nice home owner kit.
            http://www.handytoolguide.com/Black-Decker-SC1400.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X