Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Pressure Washers

Originally posted by laundrydude View Post
    I just got the 3000psi model by ridgid. This is my first gas powered pressure washer. I used it over the weekend, and worked well. But, now that I'm reading these posts I'm not sure anymore.
    As I said,do not buy the axial cam pump model, they do not last and unlless you install a gauge to see the actual pressure you will not notice the decrease over time, until it is too late.
    Buy the 3300psi model if you want a good machine,and a Ridgid brand, or just wait till HD decides that they do not want to sell them anymore after a promo intro price from the manufacturer, and they go on clearance. I think they do this so they do not have to deal with exchanges because the model is now gone. They constantly do this in all dept. of the store.

Comment

Originally posted by Snomad89 View Post
      I purchased the 3000psi new unit on 3/3/08 and it's a defective product. I'm on my 2nd one and the pump on this one is leaking plus another defect / problem. The first one had a crack in the face plate that was next to the wand holder when it is dis-assembled.(I thought it had happened during shipping). I got the second one and check it throughly for the face plate crack and it was perfect.... that is before I started the engine. During it's first use with it sitting an a flat surface I literally watched the face plate vibrate and crack in the same exact place as the 1st unit. Needless to say I am very disappointed with ridgid and this unit. I wrote ridgid 9 days ago about this issue and have gotten no response from them. When I called they told me to return the unit. I did and I'm back to square one with the same issue all over again plus a leaking pump. I really don't like companies that don't respond to emails or don't listen to customers about possible defects in there products. I like the subaru engine and the pump (first units) it ran great and was really powerful. Just good luck on getting a unit without the faceplate defect and a pump that leaks. Hopefully this gets Ridgids attention.........
      This is an update to my last post. After emailing Ridgid with the prior post they responded by email and called me the same day and offered to replace the faceplate and the leaking pump with an explanation of why this is happening. They stated that there were others with the metal cracking on the faceplate. The issue is these units were on the bottom of the pallet and the way the unit was packaged caused the faceplate to bend just enough that when you go to use the unit it tries to flex back to it's original state and cracks the metal instead. I opted to return the 3000psi unit and go with the 3300psi unit with the Cat pump. I would have kept the first unit if I got the the faceplate offer in the beginning. It's just that I know the quality of the CAT pumps and this way I hope not to have any other issues down the road especially after all I already have. If your just going to use it around the house then the 3000psi unit is fine. FYI ...All HD and Lowes pressure washers up to 3000psi do not use CAT pumps, so if your are willing to pay the extra 214.00 more then by the Ridgid 3300psi unit it's the best price with the CAT pump that I have seen. Ridgid also stated that this is the first year Ridgid has sold pressure washers. If you have any issues they want to here about them so they can correct the issue. Even though I was not happy before.... there customer service response on my problems and there explanation to me about the issue were excellent. Hopefully this update helps.........

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
        The 3000 psi. model does not have a CAT pump. I said in a prior reply NOT to buy an axial cam(usu. on Karcher's too) pump. You want a ceramic PISTON pump with a camshaft like the CAT design, AR, general, comet also make them too. CAT is the best, made in the USA usually[the 2 I have are] The axial cam is like a rotary engine design and the triplex is like overhead camshaft engine, the standard for the commercial pumps. The wobble plate design in cheaper pumps is the weakest pump design, used on most electric under $300 ones.

from the Ridgid page;
        "Direct drive 3-piston axial cam, with brass head".
        on the 3300psi commercial model;
        "Pump Type:CAT® Triplex Plunger 3DNX27GSI

I would return it and buy the RD80763 / RD80964 model if you want a Ridgid brand.
        I got lucky last year at HD and bought a DW3100 for $300 on a HD clearance, CAT w. 6.5hp commercial honda. HD has that same model for $700 as a clearance now. Also found for $570 a Sam's club display CAT/13hp Honda DW3750. They might be 2 of the best deals I ever have found.

Hey, don't be so hard on axial cam pumps. I did own a Karcher gas unit from way back in 1999. It was 2200 psi/2.3 gpm with an axial pump and that thing worked year after year without question. The ole reliable B&S engine always started right up and away it went. I'm sure it lost some pressure over the years, but still works well to this day with absolutely no maintenance whatsoever, except for the usual oil change in the engine, fresh gas, etc. I recently found out about the pumpsaver stuff and I'm sure if I had that years ago it would've helped the pump a bit more.

I was recently in the market for a bigger pressure washer because of the property we bought 3 years ago, including the 375 feet long/10-16 ft. wide concrete driveway we had poured. I was considering something like the John Deere unit I had seen at Lowe's. 3000 psi/2.8gpm for $700 was OK until I found what I ended up buying from Sears. It was their flagship model last year (3400psi/2.8gpm) and they had it on sale a few months ago for $560. It is well built, has a 250cc engine (8-8.5 HP B&S) and a really beefy AR Heavy Duty axial cam pump. I do know it's made by B&S and marketed under Sears. I have used it a few times and it does rock. And I'm sure the axial cam pump on it will last as long and crank out the pressure/flow as well as any other. Now I do agree that you're probably getting lousy pumps when you go with one of the $200-300 machines, but if you have a quality axial cam pump like those from AR I don't think you can beat what they have to offer for the money.

I was recently on Karcher's site and noticed that their high end direct drive machines all have axial cam pumps and they are driven by 13 horse Hondas. So much for axial designs being useless.......

Another thing I'd like to add to that. Most people think you must use Honda?Kohler engines to get a great piece of outdoor equipment. Honestly I've been around B&S engines all my life and have never had any serious issues with any of them. I think anything like that will last and give reliabe service if you maintain it.

Just like the morons that think USA made is the only way to go. Now I don't buy Chinese crap, but some of the best ideas and craftsmanship comes from other countries. One of my passions is espresso and who do you think dominates that market? Italy........ I also love to use baitcasting reels (fishing) and will only use Daiwa or Shimano. Where are they made? Japan....... There are several countries that are superior to the USA in several fields. Just stating my opinion.....

One last thought. Regarding Robin engines, I knew very little about them until a year or two ago. My dad bought a Sears Brushwacker (brushcutter/trimmer) back in the early 90's. It's really beefy amd has a 38cc powerhouse. That thing has been used for hundreds of hours, sometimes 3-4 hours straight only stopping to refuel and I've never done any maintenance (neither has my dad) except for the usual plug change, filter cleaning, gear greasing, etc. and it still runs like a champ. Once he was too old to lug it around he gave it to me. I have used the blades that came with it to cut trees up to 6" and have cleared tons of brush just the same. I just recently found out the engine is a Robin of true commercial quality and that impressed me to know any engine could last in what it's been through. If I could buy another I'd do it in a minute.

Anyway, I know I'll catch some crap for some of my statements, but forums would be dull without a little controversy. Later!

Comment

Hey,

Home depot has just dropped there price again on there dewalt 3750 13 hp pressure washer from $849.00 to $629.00 WHAT A DEAL!!!!!! I just picked up a new one in the box. There are 2 left (not in boxes) at the home depot in countryside il.

GET EM WHILE YOU CAN THERE GOING FAST!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Comment

That is a great deal. When places are moving older stock to make room for the new stuff you can find killer deals. If you don't mind me asking, what pump/engine combo does it have? I saw one at my local HD. Had been $999, but must've been used and returned and was marked down to $700. Had a few scratches and was dirty, but a great deal. It didn't have the popular CAT pump though and was equipped with a generic looking triplex pump, but hey at that price who cares!!! I had already bought what I have now, but sure would've considered it. Later!

Comment

The DW3750 has a Honda commercial engine and a General brand pump (not general as in "generic", but General the actual company ).

While General is a good pump brand, I always thought CAT was better. Never could figure out why a model at $999 had a pump not necessarily as good as a model that was $699. For $629 though, Id buy it anyway!

-Chris

Comment

Dewalt uses 3 name brand pumps , cat, ar ,general,

These are all very good pumps, the 3750 13hp unit I purshased has the AR pump witch is made in italy and in my opion is the best of the 3, although cat, and general are excellent pumps that will last a long time as long as you check the oil and never let your pressure washer run while not in use , it wears out the seals in the pump.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!

Comment

Hi everyone!

For those interested in more info and specs on these Ridgid Pressure Washers, please check out this link:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=16833&page=2

I purchased the middle unit last week and have been really impressed with it.

Now the test is how will it hold up with the test of time and usage....

I think it will do just fine!

Freddy
                  Don't squabble with the chickens
                  Instead, soar
                  with the eagles

Comment

Some interesting facts about the new Ridgid Pressure Washer

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share some thoughts I had on the new Ridgid pressure washer...

I recently purchased the 3300 PSI Ridgid pressure washer. The model number is RD-80964. So far, I am deeply impressed and to be honest with you, it takes a lot to impress a person like me.

I have owned/used the following pressure washers:

Karcher
                    Ryobi
                    Husky
                    Dewalt
                    Kelly Moore

Here is what I have discovered so far about this Ridgid RD-80964 unit:

Totally awesome engineering [this unit is much stronger and has superior engineering by far compared to any other pressure washer unit I have ever used].

Easy start [after initial warm up, it has been one pull start each and every time!].
                    Special Note: No pressure washer I have ever used has ever been this easy to start. I just hope it stays this way!

Much quieter than my other pressure washer models [I am not sure how they did it, but I think it is possible they designed and implemented a much more advanced muffler system].

Super Heavy Duty Tires [never need to worry about pumping these babies up or patching nail holes because these tires are airless and tougher than nails].

Portability [the top half of this unit easily swivels and doubles over with a one button push mechanism that makes it half the size, thus saving storage/transportation space big time].

Pump Reliability [if you do your homework, you will discover that the CAT pump is the preferred preference among professionals when it comes to a water pump. Consider this fact: many commercial companies will not even consider purchasing pressure washers that do not use CAT].

Much cooler operating temperatures [to be honest with you, I have no clue how they managed to do this].

Warranty [3 years. Many companies will not even come close to this].
                    Special Note: Home Depo will add another two years for an extra $100.

Soap Option [this unit has the ability to add soap to your water sending unit so you can pressure wash with soap if you so desire].

Price [the price was substantially lower than what I paid for other units of equal or similar PSI ratings].

Hope this helps and beware of the "left over" Home Depo Dewalt pressure washers...the majority of these pressure washers no longer used the CAT pump, but a much cheaper Italian pump covered with a black "heat shield" that hides the fact they are no longer using CAT.

Freddy
                    Don't squabble with the chickens
                    Instead, soar
                    with the eagles

Comment

Re: Some interesting facts about the new Ridgid Pressure Washer

Originally posted by soarwitheagles View Post
                      Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share some thoughts I had on the new Ridgid pressure washer...
                      Haven't you already posted this lengthy post/review somewhere else on the forum? Like in your "Totally Awesome 3300 Pressure Washer!" thread?? I do believe I've seen this almost verbatim before on there. Please don't repeat/duplicate posts, it's just a waste of space. If you have more to add, then fine, but don't repeat what you've already said before - that's a huge post to be copying & pasting. Please. Thanks.
                      Last edited by canucksartech; 04-04-2008, 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I just got a Ridgid 3300 PSI, I wonder why it claims 3300 PSI when the pump is rated only at 2500 PSI ?

Comment

Same reason my DeWalt 3100 PSI is actually 2850 PSI when you read the labels closely.

The 3300 psi on the Ridgid is "max", under ideal conditions, water flow, etc. It may also be measured at a different point in the water stream.

-Chris

Comment

Yeah that is right. Even though a pump might be rated at say 2500psi, the pressure can be boosted by using a slightly smaller high pressure hose (output), by using tips with smaller orifices, etc. You can alter the pressure or flow by changing things like this. Having a larger engine can also boost the pressure and flow somewhat if the pump can handle it. I'd never use more HP than is recommended by the manufacturer though. Later!

Comment

Mmmmmmm, let me see: DW claim 3100 PSI, delivers 2850. Ridgid claims 3300 PSI, delivers 2500. I think you only can get what the pump max pressure can deliver. It's fishy for me .

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                                Yeah that is right. Even though a pump might be rated at say 2500psi, the pressure can be boosted by using a slightly smaller high pressure hose (output), by using tips with smaller orifices, etc. You can alter the pressure or flow by changing things like this. Having a larger engine can also boost the pressure and flow somewhat if the pump can handle it. I'd never use more HP than is recommended by the manufacturer though. Later!
                                Wouldn't you void the pump warranty IF you boost the output by 32 % (that's what Ridgid is doing)? I'm sure the warranty on my car will be voided IF I boost the engine to get an extra 10 % !!!!!
                                Last edited by lhp_1; 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM. Reason: mispeling

Comment

Working...
                                X