Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Pressure Washers

[
    By the way, from reading on the Catpump website, the pump used on this middle model is the 3DNX27GSI and is rated at 2850 PSI, not the 2500 PSI noted by another poster above.[/quote]

hey....
    just did our first powerwashing with the same model as yours-my question-is about the pump---what is needed to maintain it? There is absolutely Nothing about the pump in the (English part) of the owner's manual-other than 'seek service every--what? 200 hours or something like that. The window to see the oil inside-has a red dot in the middle-our oil level-straight off the floor at HD(got the assembled one-all boxed were sold out) so---I don't want to see our nifty new toy blow up. My husband would freak! Anything I should know?
    thanks!
    Ridgid Washer virgin

Comment

I think there are some guidelines on CATs website, most arent model specific.

The dot in the middle represents the oil level, at rest, on level ground. Basically the oil should look blue and be in that dot area (my Dewalt PW had the oil level just at the top of the dot). Mine turns a little bubbly after the PW has been in use, Im assuming its normal. I think I read on CATs site that once it starts getting dark, it needs to be changed (not sure what hours they suggested that at).

Most important maintenance you can do for the pump is make sure it doesnt freeze!! At the end of the season run RV antifreeze thru the pump, by unplugging and removing the spark plug, and turning the engine over with the recoil starter while a hose connected to the inlet of the pump is in a bottle of RV antifreeze. Once pure af starts coming out of the gun nozzle, you're done. Do this *after* you run the engine out of fuel for yearly storage.

Funny, as new as they are, I saw a "reconditioned" Ridgid PW at my local HD. Surprised they are recon already.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I just purchased my first PW last night. I have 5 RIDGID tools and 4 of them have been AWESOME! I just bought the 5th one last night, the 3000psi PW… I’ll let you know how it turns out.

After reading these posts about the flaws in the 3000 PW, and assembling mine last night, I have some good information to share.

Mine was missing the metal nozzle and sprayer harness also (the one that comes pre-assembled and is attached to the face plate). After speaking with a RIDGID rep today, I learned that they no longer make that part. The rep told me (to make things worse) that they continue to put the old manual (that illustrates the unit coming with the attachment) in with the units that do not have it, “Because they wanted to use up the manuals.” No more 3000psi models come with that part because that is what is causing the face plate to crack. That makes more sense and sounds closer to the truth, than all of our units being the bottom ones on the skid. LOL Ironically, the display model at my HD has the same crack. : )

Granted, unless it continues to crack all the way down and splits the face plate, it's merely a cosmetic issue... but after spending $400 I understand the frustration. Regardless, it is a design flaw and they quit providing that attachment. You can't even order one, I just tried. Tonight after work I am going to the HD where I bought it and I am taking the attachment off the display (which shouldn't have it anyway if they don't come with it any more) and see if I can brace it or modify it to make it work… then I will fire it up for the first time and see how she works… I’ll keep you posted.

I do like RIDGID tools, and I have had great experiences with them, but it looks like management made the penny wise, pound foolish decision to dodge the issue at the customer’s expense. Irresponsible decisions like that will kill a company's reputation.
        Decision making like that will make my next purchase, which is a table saw, be of another brand… just for the sake of principle. I wasted 30 minutes of my life looking all over the place for a part I THOUGH I MISPLACED. A PART THE DOCUMENTATION SAYS IT COMES WITH. That’s not counting the time I spent calling the customer service department only to find out that there is no such part!

The more disappointing part of all of this is that w/o that attachment there is NO place to store the nozzle and spray gun when the unit is in the down-handle "storage" position. That leaves you with a few options. You can either "rig" your brand new, $400 power washer so you can house your gun with the unit or store it with the handle up and leave it in the cradle… or buy another brand.

You get one shot to make a first impression. My circular saw, compound miter saw, reciprocating saw, and orbital sander is again AWESOME! However, my experience with how they have handled the issue with their NEW pressure washer has been unprofessional.

Pull your head out RIDGID! You have a good thing going. Don’t tarnish this new venture over something so stupid. That's management 101. I would be embarrassed if I was the manager that made the decision to “just go with it.”

Comment

Here, here, simchamp. Well explained, and well put.

Comment

simchamp,
            Can you clarify specifically what part is cracked. I don't know which part is the face plate
            Thank you

Comment

Sure Phils,

The face plate is the main, front piece of molded sheet metal. It is the painted piece that has the RIDGID logo and "3000 psi / 2.6 GPM" on it. It’s is the main fascia piece that screws to the side rails. It also houses the “not in use” nozzle and spray gun attachment.

I'm not an expert but from looking at mine and the HD display model, it looks like the piece is made of a hardened material... not flexible like regular sheet metal, so when you put pressure or weight on the housing, it cracks the face plate right next to that housing bracket. I guess you might say the piece is too "ridgid" (sorry I couldn't resist) or brittle, and cracks instead of bending or flexing. Which is odd, because the spray gun doesn't weigh that much. Again, I am far from an expert, but maybe it also has something to do with the housing bracket being so beefy. It’s a bit over kill for such a light gun. When I got mine off of the HD display, I was surprised how heavy it was… pretty stout bracket. Basically, they mounted a heavy bracket to a piece of sheet metal that is either too thin, too brittle, or both, and cracks under very little weight.

For the record my 3000 psi RIDGID has ZERO defects! The face plate on mine (with out the housing bracket) has not cracked. Not so much as a smudge in the paint. I plan on using the bracket (that I took off of the HD display) by making it lighter, or adding additional support to the back of the face plate. I think the key is to widen the support of the housing bracket by attaching a much bigger, lightweight piece to it so the weight is dispersed over a larger area of the face plate.

Anyway, while I am here, I did get to use the PW briefly. The pressure hose and nozzle connections work really well and never leaked. I merely hand tightened the garden hose to the brass pump and it didn't leak. I liked that the gas tank has a very fine mesh filter on top that can be removed and cleaned – a nice surprise since I don’t think it’s mentioned on the signage at the store. She fired right up on the second pull and never sputtered. The motor runs very smooth. I think the no-air tires on this unit are better than any others I have seen. The downside to air-free tires is that it does cause the gun to bounce out of it's "in use" cradle often. However, my friend's Excell does the same thing even though his has pneumatic tires. The gun also wants to slide out of its cradle when you tilt it back to roll it so I think some way to secure it, like RIDGID's infamous, handy Velcro cord straps (like the one that holds the pressure hose when not in use) is needed. That's how I plan on rigging mine. On a flat surface the thing does roll very smooth. It turns on a dime and is easy to maneuver into the tight storage space I have dedicated to it.

Granted I have barely used it, but so far I have to say that the performance is good. I feel there are a few simple things that could be done to make it truly a “RIDGID” tool… which like all the other RIDGID tools I own, means great bang for the buck. It would be good, and I feel it necessary, that RIDGID offer a free solution once they resolve the face plate/bracket issue. One of the big selling points for me was that the handle breaks down for storage and you have place to stow-away the nozzle and sprayer on the unit. That’s a great feature I think RIDGID should stick with instead of moving away from it because of a flaw in either the face plate or the bracket. Fix the problem and don’t negate that feature.

RIDGID, if you’re listening?

Comment

simchamp,
                Thank you for the follow up reply. I understand more clearly what you are calling the face plate from your further description.
                The current web site and brochure now indicates the same designed faceplate,(without the storage hole) so it appears the new manual is posted on their web site, which shows the same faceplate provided with the unit.
                I am interested in purchasing the 3300psi unit which has a different face plate you described for storage of the trigger handle. Do you know if the face plate on the 3300psi unit is the same face plate you received which is prone to cracking? If it is, I will need to devise a means to strenghen it before I install it.
                Last edited by phils; 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I haven't really looked at the 3300 that closely because it's more than I wanted to spend. I used to use my buddy's 2500psi Excell and it had plenty of power, so I didn't look past the 3000 model. From what I see on the website here, the 3000 and 3300 are designed differently. I can't say wether or not the 3300's face plate is made of the same material and has the same problems. I knew nothing about the 3000's issue until reading what others had written in this forum. I hate buyers remorse so I try to read what I can and share what I can.

Comment

simchamp,
                    Thank you. Please keep us posted on your further experiences with the 3000psi unit, it is very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                      Hey, don't be so hard on axial cam pumps. I did own a Karcher gas unit from way back in 1999. It was 2200 psi/2.3 gpm with an axial pump and that thing worked year after year without question. The ole reliable B&S engine always started right up and away it went. I'm sure it lost some pressure over the years, but still works well to this day with absolutely no maintenance whatsoever, except for the usual oil change in the engine, fresh gas, etc. I recently found out about the pumpsaver stuff and I'm sure if I had that years ago it would've helped the pump a bit more.

I was recently in the market for a bigger pressure washer because of the property we bought 3 years ago, including the 375 feet long/10-16 ft. wide concrete driveway we had poured. I was considering something like the John Deere unit I had seen at Lowe's. 3000 psi/2.8gpm for $700 was OK until I found what I ended up buying from Sears. It was their flagship model last year (3400psi/2.8gpm) and they had it on sale a few months ago for $560. It is well built, has a 250cc engine (8-8.5 HP B&S) and a really beefy AR Heavy Duty axial cam pump. I do know it's made by B&S and marketed under Sears. I have used it a few times and it does rock. And I'm sure the axial cam pump on it will last as long and crank out the pressure/flow as well as any other. Now I do agree that you're probably getting lousy pumps when you go with one of the $200-300 machines, but if you have a quality axial cam pump like those from AR I don't think you can beat what they have to offer for the money.

I was recently on Karcher's site and noticed that their high end direct drive machines all have axial cam pumps and they are driven by 13 horse Hondas. So much for axial designs being useless.......

Another thing I'd like to add to that. Most people think you must use Honda?Kohler engines to get a great piece of outdoor equipment. Honestly I've been around B&S engines all my life and have never had any serious issues with any of them. I think anything like that will last and give reliabe service if you maintain it.

Just like the morons that think USA made is the only way to go. Now I don't buy Chinese crap, but some of the best ideas and craftsmanship comes from other countries. One of my passions is espresso and who do you think dominates that market? Italy........ I also love to use baitcasting reels (fishing) and will only use Daiwa or Shimano. Where are they made? Japan....... There are several countries that are superior to the USA in several fields. Just stating my opinion.....

One last thought. Regarding Robin engines, I knew very little about them until a year or two ago. My dad bought a Sears Brushwacker (brushcutter/trimmer) back in the early 90's. It's really beefy amd has a 38cc powerhouse. That thing has been used for hundreds of hours, sometimes 3-4 hours straight only stopping to refuel and I've never done any maintenance (neither has my dad) except for the usual plug change, filter cleaning, gear greasing, etc. and it still runs like a champ. Once he was too old to lug it around he gave it to me. I have used the blades that came with it to cut trees up to 6" and have cleared tons of brush just the same. I just recently found out the engine is a Robin of true commercial quality and that impressed me to know any engine could last in what it's been through. If I could buy another I'd do it in a minute.

Anyway, I know I'll catch some crap for some of my statements, but forums would be dull without a little controversy. Later!
                      I agree with you Shadow. I have had my push lawn mower (with a B&S engine) for over 5 years now. It's a little 4hp mulcher. I abuse it and it starts on the first pull every time with out fail. I leave the gas in it over the winter and have not drained the oil or so much as changed the spark plug. B&S are great engines. I was actually hoping the new RIDGID models had B&S engines.

Comment

I totally agree with Andrew....please do not even consider the 3000 because it has the axial pump. Stick with CAT....it is the industry standard.

Cheers,

Freddy

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                        CAT is a triplex inline cam pump is blue/brass color. They do not make any axial cam types[that is like a rotary engine design]. Buy the CAT, it is worth the money over the axial cam.
                        Don't squabble with the chickens
                        Instead, soar
                        with the eagles

Comment

The 3000psi machine is a nice unit. I used it the other day and it has plenty of power and worked well. I know its an axial pump, but it also $399 vs $599 for the 3300. I usually over buy everything I use, but in this case I couldn't shell out another $200 for the bigger machine. I know cat pumps are much better, but for the the amount of time I plan to use my pressure washer, I think it the axial pump will hold up fine. I checked a few websites and similiar replacement AR pumps can be purchased for under $200. I don't know how long cat pumps last, but I figure if I get probably the same useage of out two axial cam pumps.

Comment

To clear up the face plate issue...

If you bought a unit that did not have the storage hook on the faceplate, please call customer service at 866 539-1710 and request a new one. Unfortunately some of the agents were not clear on how to respond. Sorry for any inconvenience here. Thanks for all of the posts.

Comment

Den,

I understand the budget situation....I too am on a tight budget. And you are right, you use your PW for more of a home use type of format whereas I use mine commercially. There is a big difference.

Just want to say good luck and hope all turns out good for ya!

Freddy

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post
                              The 3000psi machine is a nice unit. I used it the other day and it has plenty of power and worked well. I know its an axial pump, but it also $399 vs $599 for the 3300. I usually over buy everything I use, but in this case I couldn't shell out another $200 for the bigger machine. I know cat pumps are much better, but for the the amount of time I plan to use my pressure washer, I think it the axial pump will hold up fine. I checked a few websites and similiar replacement AR pumps can be purchased for under $200. I don't know how long cat pumps last, but I figure if I get probably the same useage of out two axial cam pumps.
                              Don't squabble with the chickens
                              Instead, soar
                              with the eagles

Comment

Soarwitheagles,

I didn't realize you were using your pw for commerical use. I don't think I'd want to use the 3000psi for commerical use either. Its perfect for homeowners and seems better built than most other homeowner pw I looked at, however, your right its not commerical grade. I think the 3300 with the cat pump is a great deal for commerical use. good luck with your business.

Comment

Working...
                                X