Ridgid Pressure Washers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Pressure Washers

Commercial use is limited with even with the 3300 model as you realize it maybe will produce 2800 psi @2.7 gpm. The larger PW is better for commercial use, 3700 psi @ 4gpm, 13hp like my DW3750 with a CAT/Honda.

Comment

My PW 3300 usage

Andrew,

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe I am not completely accurate when I say I am using this unit for commercial purposes....

Here is what I am using this unit for:

• Pressure washing houses before/after I paint the houses [about 2-3 houses per year].
      • Pressure washing concrete patios, driveways, etc. on properties [about 2-3 per year].
      • Washing my truck and van [once a week].
      • Blowing leaves [in the fall twice a week, most months I blow off our very long driveway once every two weeks (I like using the pressure washer because the leaf blower stirs up tooooo much dust)].
      • Teeth cleaning [I daily use my 3300 to clean my teeth. I do not have any gums left, but it sure works well]! (Just joking)

So Andrew, what are your thoughts? Does my usage warrant commercial use and should I start thinking about the Dewalt 3750 or the new Rigid 3800? Or am I OK just sticking with this 3300 and enjoying the heck out of it with the level of usage I am putting on it?

It's me,

Not-So-Fast-Freddy

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
      Commercial use is limited with even with the 3300 model as you realize it maybe will produce 2800 psi @2.7 gpm. The larger PW is better for commercial use, 3700 psi @ 4gpm, 13hp like my DW3750 with a CAT/Honda.
      Last edited by soarwitheagles; 07-21-2008, 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling issues
      Don't squabble with the chickens
      Instead, soar
      with the eagles

Comment

I just bought the 3300 and it seems not to have the pressure I expected.
        I called tech support and they really weren't of any help. I have plenty of water pressure to the machine and have tried different nozzles...
        Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Not sure if this helps, but I found that when my hose is attached to the the hose reel, I don't get the same pressure from my pressure washer than when the hose is attached directly to the faucet. My hose reel has a smaller inlet than the hose itself. My hose is 3/4 inch and the inlet on my hose reel was smaller. So when I used my pw with the hose hitched the hose reel, my pressure was horrible. When I attached the hose directly to the faucet, my pressure was much better.

Comment

Chris,

I looked at the spec sheet on that 3800 and it says the pump is not a CAT.

Can anyone tell me what this other pump is all about?

Spec sheet says the pump on the 3800 is an Italian Annovi Reverberi, Triplex plunger.

It's me,

Inquisitive Freddy

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            Robin/Subaru engines are very good commercial grade engines. Not as well-known as Honda, but good nonetheless. They are used on a good amount of commercial duty lawn equipment, so I cant see them being much worse on a pressure washer!

As with any pressure washer, though, the pump is the big key. When I bought my DeWalt, the display shows the nice blue CAT pump. Apparently DeWalt made a change somewhere along the way, changing to a POS Taiwanese axial "strap" pump (same type of pump on the cheapest Ridgid pressure washer)........and of course without lowering the price. Opened mine up, it had the POS pump, dragged it back to HD and demanded what I paid for. Had to take the display model (all in-box models had the new cheap pump), but I got what I wanted. Just about any small engine will last forever if you take care of it........the pumps will die much sooner (even if you take care of them!)

Looks like the middle line uses CAT, and the high line uses General. I always thought CAT > General, but Ive seen most of the "high line" washers from different companies use the General (including the DeWalt model above mine).

-Chris
            Instead, soar
            with the eagles

Comment

Chuck,

My 3300 is still working like a workhorse after several months of usage.

What exactly are you using your Rigid to do?

Mine works fine for cleaning houses, pressure washing motors, removing stains and mildew from concrete, and washing cars...

Let us know please...

Thanks,

Freddy

Originally posted by chuckh View Post
              I just bought the 3300 and it seems not to have the pressure I expected.
              I called tech support and they really weren't of any help. I have plenty of water pressure to the machine and have tried different nozzles...
              Anyone else having this problem?
              Instead, soar
              with the eagles

Comment

Originally posted by soarwitheagles View Post
                Chuck,

Mine works fine for cleaning houses, pressure washing motors, removing stains and mildew from concrete, and washing cars...

Let us know please...

Thanks,

Freddy

The larger unit can do just about anything because you can reduce the speed and or pressure setting. I use the smaller PW for most things but to clean a deck, concrete, or a house [I use hose and wand extentions which reduce the output]the larger unit is better. I was able to get a display at Sam's for about $560 for the DW3750 which was a unique deal. I paid $325 for the DW2800 at HD on clearance after sales Tx.
                If I had to have 1 , I would buy the larger Ridgid as the Triplex Ceramic AR is a good pump[not the axial cam] too but I prefer the CAT. The parts to rebuild the AR are much cheaper than the CAT but the CAT will go longer before needing a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by soarwitheagles View Post
                  Chuck,

Let us know please...

Thanks,

Freddy
                  We are using it to clean the pool deck...
                  I am playing around with the different nozzles.. all in all... the machine is a breeze to use...
                  It beats anything else I have worked with...

Comment

Andrew,

Thanks for the heads up on the Triplex Ceramic AR used on the Rigid 3800. Thanks also for the info on how to use a higher powered PW by adjusting the pressure. I did not know that was possible.

Andrew, you sure received an awesome deal on that DW3750. I still remember drooling over them when they were $999 at Home Depot. I was not able to afford it at the time.

How heavy is the DW3750 and how do you manage to get it in/out of our vehicle?

Freddy

The larger unit can do just about anything because you can reduce the speed and or pressure setting. I use the smaller PW for most things but to clean a deck, concrete, or a house [I use hose and wand extentions which reduce the output]the larger unit is better. I was able to get a display at Sam's for about $560 for the DW3750 which was a unique deal. I paid $325 for the DW2800 at HD on clearance after sales Tx.
                    If I had to have 1 , I would buy the larger Ridgid as the Triplex Ceramic AR is a good pump[not the axial cam] too but I prefer the CAT. The parts to rebuild the AR are much cheaper than the CAT but the CAT will go longer before needing a rebuild.
                    Instead, soar
                    with the eagles

Comment

I think it is about #125 and I have a F350 4x4 and it is akward to get up in the bed myself. I have no problem moving the 6.5 hp unit.

Comment

Andrew,

Well, it is obvious you are much stronger than I! LOL!

That Dewalt is a great machine and I believe you will get many good years of excellent usage out of it.

Have a great day!

Freddy

I think it is about #125 and I have a F350 4x4 and it is akward to get up in the bed myself. I have no problem moving the 6.5 hp unit.
                        Instead, soar
                        with the eagles

Comment

I think I did not make it clear. I have 2 units, one 6.5hp and one 13hp. The 6.5hp is the one I can move easily, like the Ridgid 3300, the 13hp is kind of a beast and I can barely get it up into the truck bed myself.

Comment

I'm considering the 3000 psi unit from Home Depot. I've read this and several other posts and understand the differences between the axial pump on this unit and the better pump on the 3300 and other higher end units. This power washer is going to replace an old Sears electric unit - I'm probably going to use the new unit less than 20 hours a year, largely to clean vinyl siding a couple times a year on the house, so I'm comfortable with my decision ...

I do have a couple questions for you with a lot more pressure washer experience than I do:

1. What are your thoughts on using warm water for a power washer? The Ridgid site says the maximum water inlet temperature is 104 degrees for this unit. Will using warm water at this temperature or even somewhat cooler shorten the life of the pump? Even lukewarm water cleans better than cold.

2. Any recommendations on using fiberglass extension wands? I'd like to get a 24' wand, but haven't seen too much feedback on how well they work, etc. I'd imagine that the pole at this length flexes somewhat and may be tiring to use. I'm willing to put up with it if it's reasonable. Also, can you put a brush on a pole like this to better clean areas with a lot of mold, etc.?

3. Have they fixed the front plate cracking issue with the 3000 psi unit yet, or is it still likely that a unit I pick up today may still have that problem and require a call to customer service?

Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by GaryP View Post
                              I'm considering the 3000 psi unit from Home Depot. I've read this and several other posts and understand the differences between the axial pump on this unit and the better pump on the 3300 and other higher end units. This power washer is going to replace an old Sears electric unit - I'm probably going to use the new unit less than 20 hours a year, largely to clean vinyl siding a couple times a year on the house, so I'm comfortable with my decision ...

I do have a couple questions for you with a lot more pressure washer experience than I do:

1. What are your thoughts on using warm water for a power washer? The Ridgid site says the maximum water inlet temperature is 104 degrees for this unit. Will using warm water at this temperature or even somewhat cooler shorten the life of the pump? Even lukewarm water cleans better than cold.

2. Any recommendations on using fiberglass extension wands? I'd like to get a 24' wand, but haven't seen too much feedback on how well they work, etc. I'd imagine that the pole at this length flexes somewhat and may be tiring to use. I'm willing to put up with it if it's reasonable. Also, can you put a brush on a pole like this to better clean areas with a lot of mold, etc.?

3. Have they fixed the front plate cracking issue with the 3000 psi unit yet, or is it still likely that a unit I pick up today may still have that problem and require a call to customer service?

Many thanks in advance!

Well normally I'd say buy the best machine you can afford because you'll always have enough machine to do anything down the road. But if you're only planning on using it 20 hours yearly then the 3300 might be overkill. If you are just washing vinyl siding and similar cleaning jobs, then the 3000 would be just fine. If you might need to clean brick, concrete, strip paint, etc. in the future then I'd step it up a bit.

If a pressure washer is rated for cold water, then that's all I'd put through it. Warm/hot water will certainly ruin a pump faster than cold if it is only designed for cold useage. How would you feed it lukewarm water anyway?

I have no idea about a fiberglass extension being available, but would say it might be as heavy as a tubular mild steel or aluminum one of the same length. I have thought of getting one myself, but really don't wash anything higher than 17-20 feet anyway and rely on the chemicals to do the work at that height. I don't know if a brush is available for an extension at that height.

Instead of worrying about an extension or brush, use the proper chemicals to do the job. I find that pressure washer specific cleaners work OK, but have developed a much cheaper and effective alternative. I mix 1 pint of outdoor bleach and 1 pint of Simple Green with 3 qts. of water to make an awesome gallon of a great cleaner. It's mild to touch/smell and it doesn't do any damage to any plants, siding of any type or anything else for that matter and WILL NOT harm any parts of your machine. Most machines utilize downstream injection and the chemicals never see the inside of your pump anyway. After I'm done for the day I simply run a qt. of water or so through the chemical injection system, the wand and any nozzles and it's all good. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by shadow745 View Post
                                How would you feed it lukewarm water anyway?
                                Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have both hot and cold hose bibs (faucets) in my garage and use a "Y" adapter to combine them into one. I can turn the cold on fully and the hot partically to get whatever temperature I want. I've done this to hose down the house ... it doesn't take too long to deplete all of the hot water in the water heater, but the water is still warmer than all cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X