• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Pressure Washers

Look what I found:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pressure...s/EN/index.htm

Re: Ridgid Pressure Washers

SWEET!!!

Too bad I bought a Dewalt last year CAT Pump and Honda commercial engine, but Id rather have an orange and gray washer

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
      SWEET!!!

Too bad I bought a Dewalt last year CAT Pump and Honda commercial engine, but Id rather have an orange and gray washer
      Who in their right mind would by a unit that has a Subaru engine in it? I remember they had a Ryobi unit with a Subaru engine that was not even worth producing.

Comment

i would stay away from the smaller unit with that axial pump.

the middle unit with the cat pump is a nice spec and the largest one is also a nice spec.

if i didn't already have more than i could count
        i would buy either of the 2

either one of these could easily be turned into a jetter.

nice job ridgid

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
          Who in their right mind would by a unit that has a Subaru engine in it? I remember they had a Ryobi unit with a Subaru engine that was not even worth producing.
          Robin/Subaru engines are very good commercial grade engines. Not as well-known as Honda, but good nonetheless. They are used on a good amount of commercial duty lawn equipment, so I cant see them being much worse on a pressure washer!

As with any pressure washer, though, the pump is the big key. When I bought my DeWalt, the display shows the nice blue CAT pump. Apparently DeWalt made a change somewhere along the way, changing to a POS Taiwanese axial "strap" pump (same type of pump on the cheapest Ridgid pressure washer)........and of course without lowering the price. Opened mine up, it had the POS pump, dragged it back to HD and demanded what I paid for. Had to take the display model (all in-box models had the new cheap pump), but I got what I wanted. Just about any small engine will last forever if you take care of it........the pumps will die much sooner (even if you take care of them!)

Looks like the middle line uses CAT, and the high line uses General. I always thought CAT > General, but Ive seen most of the "high line" washers from different companies use the General (including the DeWalt model above mine).

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
            Because a big block Chevy would be hard to get into the truck!
            Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Does anyone know where the new pressure washer can be purchased? I looked at HD...no Ridgid pressure washers available as of 2-23-08...the HD was in the Birmingham Al. area....

Comment

Looks like Ridgid is posting all of this new stuff on their webpage, ahead of the product launches in store - a nice change. Sounds like most of this newer stuff will be available after March 2nd - at least that's what it looks like for the other newer stuff (radio, 12volt lithium driver). Wait and see I guess.

I was looking at getting a power washer this spring, but I'll probably be sticking with getting a Karcher. I just need a little electric one, don't need a big gas powered puppy. I just need something for cleaning the vehicles, spraying down the driveway and siding, and giving the deck a spray once in a while. A little electric will suit me better, I think.

Comment

For anyone that does buy an electric pressure washer keep in mind they need to be on a private circuit and if you do use an extension cord keep it short and heavy gauge like 12-3 or better yet 10-3. If you can, make use of 5/8" ID water hose rather than extension cords.

For safety be sure it's on a GFCI protected circuit. You can get GFCI circuit breakers, receptacles or plug-in (inline) ones that the pressure washer then plugs into.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    For anyone that does buy an electric pressure washer keep in mind they need to be on a private circuit and if you do use an extension cord keep it short and heavy gauge like 12-3 or better yet 10-3. If you can, make use of 5/8" ID water hose rather than extension cords.

For safety be sure it's on a GFCI protected circuit. You can get GFCI circuit breakers, receptacles or plug-in (inline) ones that the pressure washer then plugs into.
                    Don't worry Woussko - got myself covered buddy. Got 1/2" copper piping running to my outside water tap in the garage. Got 5/8" interior diameter rubber hose for both outside hose reels. Got 5/8" outlet brass fittings on all my hoses and tools, for quick connects (hard to find, but worth the trouble for the flow rate compared to the standard 1/2" or 3/8" ones out there). Have 12/3 heavy gauge extension cord reel on the ceiling of my garage, 35 feet cord length. It's plugged into the plug on my ceiling for the garage door opener, dedicated plug on a solo 15 amp breaker. So, no, not 100% single use plug, however, I won't be opening and closing my garage door opener when I'm using the power washer, so I'm good to go. And the extension cord reel has a GFCI feature to it.

I've always planned ahead - it's not what my need is right now, but what my future needs may be, that I build and install to.

Comment

I have 2 gas PW's, and a electric Karcher. The Cat pump is the best overall and most expensive. I have a $300 HD clearance DW 3100psi / 3gpm 5.5hp Honda commercial and a DW 13hp/4 gpm/3400psi from Sam's Club display $500. Both were a steal and are excellent. DW stopped using the CAT pumps to save costs. The Cat pumps are made in the USA. The general pump is a grade down from the CAT.
                      The karcher I have is electric , about $250 from HD, 1.7gpm/1400 psi/made in Italy back then, and is OK but too much plastic , esp. the water inlet and NO replacement parts except assemblies that cost as much as the PW. Go to amazon and look at how poor they are reviewed. I would never buy a karcher anything again, their CS is almost non existent. Call them first and ask some questions, if they ever answer the phone.
                      If you want a good electric it will cost as much or more than a gas model, and not perform as well. Northern has some with general or comet and cat pumps. AR has a model that is a good build on amazon.com I think. That is made in Italy and the are a good CO. too, you can get parts also.
                      BTW, CAT CS is excellent and is in MN. I prefer CAT pumps, my brother has a maintenance business and has a hot water PW ,CAT pump that he has not serviced in 10 years under heavy use. Parts down to fasteners from CAT are available.
                      As far as the GFI, an electric will have one on the cord so you do not need a GFI outlet, in fact 2 GFI's under heavy amp draw can cause problems. Most electric pumps do not need much GPM so the hose is a non issue. You use PWs to reduce water waste, even my 13hp Honda/Cat only uses 4gpm as a garden hose can use 10-20 times that much alone.

Comment

Been using a 6HP Karcher for a couple years now with no problems. The Ridgid units look good, just one comment, anyone who's ever used a pressure washer with a 30 or 50 foot hose would welcome a reel to wind the hose on. I know it's a small complaint but coiling that hose is a drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Been using a 6HP Karcher for a couple years now with no problems. The Ridgid units look good, just one comment, anyone who's ever used a pressure washer with a 30 or 50 foot hose would welcome a reel to wind the hose on. I know it's a small complaint but coiling that hose is a drag.

Yes, I mounted a simple reel on my 13hp unit,generac reel on clearance at HD, which just holds the 50 'hose not for pressure use, like you may have and it is great. I would invest in a liquid filled pressure gauge to check the condition of the unloader and the output. I also can set the engine speed to ideal output. Northerntool has them. The problem with karcher is that they often use wobble plate[cheapest] or axial cam instead of a cam shaft/ceramic pistons like CAT, AR.General...
                          Winding the hose by hand is a pain in that you have to rotate the collected hose as you make your ring.

Comment

Oy vay, Andrew! I checked out the prices of those AR pressure washers. Freakin' ouch! At that price, I'd almost rather buy a cheapo Husky power washer for $70, and if it lasts 2 years, I'd be ahead of the game.

Thanks very much for the info, though. They do have some pretty lookin' units - I know what I'll buy if I hit it big on lotto!

Comment

Yeah, Cat pumps are excellent. However, I heard the parts are very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X