Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

how do you tighten the belt on an old delta 8" drill press?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you tighten the belt on an old delta 8" drill press?

Hi, i have an older delta 8" drill press that my grand father gave me. the problem is that every time i try and drill something (almost anything) the belt slips and the bit stops turning. there is a small adjustment screw and tightener on the motor mount, however, you just can't put much tension on the belt by using it. is there another tension devise? any help would be great. thanks.

Matt

Re: how do you tighten the belt on an old delta 8" drill press?

A picture of the DP or a model number might get you an answer a little quicker.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Without a picture I can't say but most older Delta drill presses that I remember (larger models) had a hinge type motor mount. You may need to use a small pry bar to tighten the belt. More than likely the belt needs to be replaced unless already done. I could tell you want to do for an older floor standing 14" model, but I doubt the little bench top models use the same arrangement. It would have been too costly for them.

Please do post some pictures if you can do so.

Comment

Go to Ace hardware and buy a new belt! From your limited explanation, I'd suspect the belt is original to the drill press and has stretched out to where it falls off.

Bring the old belt with you to make matching a replacement easier.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
        X