Tape Measures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape Measures

I don't like these fat-azz tape measures the kids use these days.

I used to carry a 1/2" 16' chrome-plated Craftsman, which was so nice because it would slip easily into my pocket and not get lost, but it was stolen. Now I can't find another, just cheap plastic crap, and Sears doesn't warrant them lifetime anymore so my loyalty to them is ended.

I've looked high and low for quality replacement; if I have to go 3/4" I'd like at least 25'. Stanley makes a 3/4" tape measure which seems to be my only choice, but it is made cheep. I know that the narrower, the less reach it has, but I want to put the thing in my pocket. Clip-ons simply fall off and get lost.

Any suggestions?

Re: Tape Measures

Maybe you would like this 2212 by Lufkin. It's a 1/2 x 12 foot
    http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103013231

Or this one by Stanley 33-212 which is also a 1/2 x 12 foot
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default....%2334%3B+Blade
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-08-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Noticed the Lufkin, but it doesn't seem great quality to me. Also need at least 16'.

Comment

Maybe I need to have my screen cleaned.

Comment

If you want 16 feet or longer you'll more than likely need to go up to 3/4" width. Keep looking around as you may find some good older stock. Stanley used to have some nice ones that were 3/4 by 16 feet and my bet is they still do.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....+Graduation%29
          Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Ya, Stanley has the only candidate that comes close (3/4x16 at HD), but it looks cheaply made. Fat Max is well-made, but it is too damned fat. I want to be able to get it in my pocket.

Hoping there's some brand that few know about that I've missed.

Comment

When I have time I'll check out what Starrett has. They may have one you'll like better, but anymore it's all about profit and making things cheap but selling them for big $$$.

Comment

Hm, Starrett has the CH34-5ME9, but I can't find a picture of it anywhere, nor a place to buy it.

Comment

This may help and allow time for download as it is a big file. I would try to save it to your hard drive and then open it up.
                  http://www.starrett.com.au/Construct...0Catalogue.pdf

Look in your yellow pages directory under "Industrial Supplies" and try calling around. Any that are setup to deal with L.S. Starrett should be able to order them.

You might try calling My Tool Store at 1-800-347-5096 and ask them about it. They sell lots of Starrett and while I can't find this exact one they have others. They should know some about that model and if they can get one for you.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I like the Stanley Fat max tapes. I had a few older Stanly tapes that I really liked but they no longer make them. I have a Starrett tape and it's nothing special - in fact, it is very cheap looking. It seems most of the good quality US made tapes are no longer made - what a surprise!

Comment

Lufkin seems to have a decent one.

But since there are no standouts maybe I'll end up buying whatever crap Lowes or HD has.

Comment

I also like and use the Lufkin tapes.

Comment

One quality tape that I believe is nice is the titan 25ft lighted tape. It has an all metal body with protective rubber at key locations. The tape measure is narrow, so it fits in your pocket and it is lighted. The lighted led can be switched on, which works great in dark crawl spaces. Here is the link.
                          http://www.all-cordless.com/ti2pilitamea.html

Comment

Always use the Lufkin 33 footer - If I snap one, I just toss it back to the dealer and he gives me another one. Tried a Stanley one time when I couldn't get a Lufkin fast enough - the Stanley was a piece of junk that rusted up within the first month.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

try leevalleytools.ca
                              i think that is the correct web address..they have great tools and can order any kind of tape meausre you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X