Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24volt XLi 3PC Kit Battery Issue

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
    Having used the Bosch PS10 and 40 ,dremel , all smaller LiIon tools that work without any problems, NiCads may still be the best overall performers in heavy duty use in the Ridgid tool as of today.
    You might think it is the LiIon battery but the review I read from Tools of the trade, on rotary hammers, tested a V28 and it worked well even when they pushed it to its limit, whereas the 18V,3aH Makita did not match the DeWalt 18V NiCad's .
    This is a interesting quote on the 36V LiI vs 18v NiCad;
    "With the exception of a chipping mode, this tool features similar performance to its big brother–but at half the price–and uses more-common 18-volt nicad batteries. "
    performance. The 36V Hilti was the best but cost over 1K!
    http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...36620&artnum=7
    What is the point of a 24V tool if you can not use it in a heavy duty manner?
    I can find almost no 24V anything in the SoCal area which maybe the largest market in the country. Ridgid is not sending any units as far as I can tell and their rep has not responded to me or the tool dept mgr either. Something is weird with all this and unless you buy a kit you have no LSA, just 3 yrs on the batteries.
    I am still trying to decide if I will return the Ridgid cordless tools I just bought and stay with my Milwaukee, DW, and Makita NICad's/NiMh's. I can not really use an 8pc kit on 2 x 1.9aH NiCads, and I refuse to buy batteries that do not have LSA because other brands have tools that are really better . HD has actually raised the prices now on the 3 pc 24V kit to $379, and no free tool offer anymore either.
    Why they have a regular size LiIon in the Ryobi tools and no such starter 18v, 3 aH kit in Ridgid also is strange.
    Andrew,
    I was looking for some solid info about the performance of lithium in other tools, thanks for the information regarding Ni-Cad performance as well, very interesting.

We, as consumers, were presented lithium by the manufactures as the revolution to tools. While this may be and I am happy with lithium over Nimh and Ni-Cad, lithium is obviously not without its faults.
    http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I am totally frustrated with Ridgid CS with buying batteries listed in their catalog as having a LSA , the logo is right next to the 2.5aH Max battery in the battery section listed with a part # but the women who says she is supervisor was of no help, she was abrupt, no discussion as to why the catalog shows the LSA with the single battery, she refused to even look at the page said it does not matter what the catalog pic are there is no LSA on any batteries out side of a kit, period, no exceptions, not a missprint just NO exceptions it is not confusing according to her. Look at the 2007 catalog for yourself here at this site,NO mention that the LSA applies to kits only ,next to the batteries with the LSA logo.
      Why would I spend $79 for 1 18V Ni Cad with a 3 yr warranty on tools that are not superior or even equal to other of similar price, be limited to HD to buy items, and have no service ctrs in my area?
      I guess I am going to return the 8pc kit, which I can not run on 2 x 1.9aH batteries effectively. It is stupid to buy another kit with the same tools for $200 to get the 2.5aH batteries w. LSA. I had hoped the 2 x 24V batteries in the starter Kits would have worked but they did not, performance was not good, they would shut down with use and there is no new 24V battery kits in any stores, and ridgid is not planning to have them in production anyway in the near future as told by CS.
      HD stores are not going to have 24V tools kits or batteries in the store stock because of the cost and performance problems both leading to poor sales as told to me by 3 different store managers.
      $300 8pc sounds good until you try to buy batteries, add another $200 for another kit, now over $540 with tx and the tools are not as good as Makita,DW or Milwaulkee which are lighter and better designed across the board. My 12v Ridgid RA driver and drill performance is also sub par compared to the other brands I own . The chucks wobble, batteries drain quickly,heavy, fair ergonomics , the charger is the best feature with a 20 min. chg. but if I am using the tools I am constantly cycling the batteries due to their limited run time.

The toolsofthetrade.net tests also have tested other ridgid cordless with sub par results. You can look at their tests on the web.

I think the Milwaukee V28 perform well because the motors were designed for that voltage. The 36V LiIon tools are heavy but perform well such as the Bosch and Hilti tools.
      24V as a heavy duty tool is not what Ridgid has made.

Comment

Follow this link to my thread. I have had the same problems with my 18V L ion. I think the above posters are correct. Lion cant handle the load and the fact that RIDGID is putting out alot of defective Lion tools/batterys. 5 of 9 people voted having to return thier tools/batterys at least once. after several returns I have 2 good 18v L ion kits.

PS Please vote, maybe ridgid will check thier quality assurance lines better prior to shipping out to stores.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15738

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
          What is the point of a 24V tool if you can not use it in a heavy duty manner?

I am happy with my 24 volt kits. I am concerned that this is a correct statement that the tools can not be used in a heavy duty manner.

Being a 24 volt set, consumers and professionals are paying for 24 volt power.

The kit is very powerful, however, when pushed to a certain threshold the tools start to show their limited capabilities. The tools have 24 volt power but not for more than a few minutes at a time.

It has been my experience that the drill can perform to about 80% of its capacity before you start noticing the heavy load issues I mentioned previously.

In RIDGID and lithium's defense, I believe if a Ni-Cad was pushed to the same load it would drain the battery and not recover as well as the lithium. The Ni-Cad would have to be recharged. Please correct if this is a wrong statement regarding your experience with Ni-Cad.

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
            I am happy with my 24 volt kits. I am concerned that this is a correct statement that the tools can not be used in a heavy duty manner.

Being a 24 volt set, consumers and professionals are paying for 24 volt power.

The kit is very powerful, however, when pushed to a certain threshold the tools start to show their limited capabilities. The tools have 24 volt power but not for more than a few minutes at a time.

It has been my experience that the drill can perform to about 80% of its capacity before you start noticing the heavy load issues I mentioned previously.

In RIDGID and lithium's defense, I believe if a Ni-Cad was pushed to the same load it would drain the battery and not recover as well as the lithium. The Ni-Cad would have to be recharged. Please correct if this is a wrong statement regarding your experience with Ni-Cad.

I have abused my Nicads to the extream. I used them to mix mortar, grout, textured paint, Hammer drilling. You just have to charge them when they are fully drained or they could get a memory and eventually go bad or need reconditioned.

The advantage of L ion is they dont get the memory effect and you can leave them on charge without a problem. But I have found at least with my 18V RIDGID L ion dont hold up to any stress, drain in COOL weather and I think they are inferior to Nicad at this stage.

Comment

i've also abused the crap out of my panasonic 12volt MiMH drill and people have thought it was an18volt...

too damm bad panasonic products are so darn expensive...but guess you get what u pay for...

Comment

The problem with the battery shutting down, Has anyone had this happen with another tool besides the drill? Personally, I have never experienced this with the sawzall or circular saw, which I use alot, and I haven't read in any of the post where it seems to occur with the other tools. I'm just wondering if it's something in the drill shutting it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                  The problem with the battery shutting down, Has anyone had this happen with another tool besides the drill? Personally, I have never experienced this with the sawzall or circular saw, which I use alot, and I haven't read in any of the post where it seems to occur with the other tools. I'm just wondering if it's something in the drill shutting it down.
                  that is an extremely good question...i haven't found the use for the circular, jig or recip saw, if they hold fine in those tools, i'd be a happy camper...

thats why i asked if it's the drill/driver itself thats bad and not the battery?

Comment

I have posted a comment before when someone had a problem with a clicking sound from the drill. They immediately thought it was the battery, so this is a very good question you present because I think sometimes it is the trigger in the drill.

When we use the circular saw, you have to use the saw at a constant speed, therefore, the battery is at a state of constant resistance. The drill, however, may drain the battery more rapidly due to variable speed. Batteries discharge more rapidly under variable speeds as well as load.
                    We can say the same for the recip saw if it always used under constant speed.

As far as the light goes, NO PROBLEMS. A good long lasting battery.
                    Last edited by onlycordless; 02-21-2008, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere that some types of Lithium batteries (not all) will increase their internal resistance as they age. The result is; that the maximum current draw available will slowly reduce over time. This is not recoverable. If this is the problem with these batteries, then the problem will just get worse. How old are these batteries that are having this problem? This issue does not affect the overall capacity of the battery and it will continue to work fine in a lower load (lower current draw) application.

When worked heavy, the drill probably has the most current draw of any of the tools and is why it's being seen on this tool first. I hope you all have your LSAs registered for these batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
                        When worked heavy, the drill probably has the most current draw of any of the tools and is why it's being seen on this tool first. I hope you all have your LSAs registered for these batteries.
                        The only time I've ever had the problem is if I'm drilling through something tough enough to actually stop the bit (like concrete). But I have also been sawing through lumber and hit a knot or something and had my saw blade bind, but it didn't kill the battery. I would think these situations would put simular strain on the tools and batteries, so why does the battery only shut off while on the drill? Some have said that they experienced the clicking right after taking the battery of the charger, but before putting the drill under any pressure. Has anyone had this happen with the other tools, or is it just the drill? I'm just wondering if maybe something in the drill is causing the problem.

Comment

The only time I've ever had the problem is if I'm drilling through something tough enough to actually stop the bit (like concrete). But I have also been sawing through lumber and hit a knot or something and had my saw blade bind, but it didn't kill the battery. I would think these situations would put simular strain on the tools and batteries, so why does the battery only shut off while on the drill? Some have said that they experienced the clicking right after taking the battery of the charger, but before putting the drill under any pressure. Has anyone had this happen with the other tools, or is it just the drill? I'm just wondering if maybe something in the drill is causing the problem.

I believe it is 2 issues in particular with the drill.

#1. The drill is advertised and rated at 615in. lbs. What that basically means is the drill is capable of performing at a maximum of that torque rating. What the manufactures don't tell you is that it could only sustain that torque rating for probably a couple of seconds. I do not have real proof but from experience I would conclude the drill would not be able to perform at that rating for very long.

#2. The design of the drill may be causing some issues. If the trigger is faulty or the drill is drawing too much amperage from the battery, then the battery is not engineered to take advantage of the power the drill can deliver.

The drill is powerful, however, it seems the battery can not handle the load the drill is capable of. Again, the drill may be drawing too much current.
                          The 615in. lb rating is great for marketing and a bad reference point in the real world of using the tool. I am trying to find the current draw from these 24volt batteries and that should explain a lot.

How long a tool can sustain a high torque rating is a much better indicator of performance rather than a simple torque number.
                          Last edited by onlycordless; 02-22-2008, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I decided today that the 3 pc 24v XLi kit is going back this weekend. I stopped by HD at lunch today and saw they're still not stocking the 24v batteries. Since I find it odd that HD is not supporting the 24v line it doesn't deserve to be in my tool chest.

It's too bad cuz I really like this kit! I did notice a sale on the 18v 4 piece kit that can use both Nicd and LI-ON batteries for somewhere around $450. For an extra 50 bucks I would get a circular saw & trade the flashlight for the impact drill.

I feel alot more comfortable spending this kind of money having the option of a standard battery if Ridgid is having issues with its LI-ON technology.

Comment

Originally posted by nhiggins22@yahoo.com View Post
                              I decided today that the 3 pc 24v XLi kit is going back this weekend. I stopped by HD at lunch today and saw they're still not stocking the 24v batteries. Since I find it odd that HD is not supporting the 24v line it doesn't deserve to be in my tool chest.

It's too bad cuz I really like this kit! I did notice a sale on the 18v 4 piece kit that can use both Nicd and LI-ON batteries for somewhere around $450. For an extra 50 bucks I would get a circular saw & trade the flashlight for the impact drill.

I feel alot more comfortable spending this kind of money having the option of a standard battery if Ridgid is having issues with its LI-ON technology.
                              I said that a while ago and some here still think the 24v system is supported, all I have talked to in person have said it will NOT be carried any longer and the max select also will be changed. I actually am OK with the 2.5aH Nicad's. The 3aH LiI are simply not worth $99.

Comment

So what happens in another 6 months when one of my 24 volt batteries goes bad? Can I swap "down" to a 3.0 ah 18 volt?

Comment

Working...
                                X