Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24volt XLi 3PC Kit Battery Issue

Originally posted by nhiggins22@yahoo.com View Post
    I decided today that the 3 pc 24v XLi kit is going back this weekend. I stopped by HD at lunch today and saw they're still not stocking the 24v batteries. Since I find it odd that HD is not supporting the 24v line it doesn't deserve to be in my tool chest.

It's too bad cuz I really like this kit! I did notice a sale on the 18v 4 piece kit that can use both Nicd and LI-ON batteries for somewhere around $450. For an extra 50 bucks I would get a circular saw & trade the flashlight for the impact drill.

I feel alot more comfortable spending this kind of money having the option of a standard battery if Ridgid is having issues with its LI-ON technology.
    I've had my 18 volt 4pc kit for a couple of years and the tools are great. A couple of days ago I put together a simple table out of 1/2" plywood and some 2/4's. My Ridgid tools made quick work of this project. I would like to say that if the folks at Ridgid are reading these Threads they should be very concerned. When a Professional Carpenter is not happy with his tool purchase it is not a good sign. The tools and accessories should be on display and in stock at Home Depot. I'm a DIY'er and homeowner so my cordless tool purchases are limited compared to the Pro's . Come on Ridgid grow your business by impressing the buyers and not frustrating them into buying another brand.

Comment

To those of you who have been working with the Ridgid product line in the past......considering the apparent problems with the lithium batteries, if you were purchasing a new cordless drill would you stay with NiCad or take the chance with Lithium?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
        To those of you who have been working with the Ridgid product line in the past......considering the apparent problems with the lithium batteries, if you were purchasing a new cordless drill would you stay with NiCad or take the chance with Lithium?

Thanks
        We are contractors and have approx 40 Ridgid battery tools with a bunch of 9.6V,12V,14.4V and 18V Nicad batts and approx 12 Ridgid 24V and 18V LI batts. We use and abuse our tools hard all day every day. Except for an issue with the 24V LI batts very early over a year ago the performance of the LI batts has been flawless. For a professional the LI batts are clearly superior. They have greater power in the fully charged state, longer run time, and we can top them off with a full charge at the end of every day so we are starting with a fully charged battery every day.
        If you review most of the posts in this thread you will see they are from some guy who is agonizing over a $100 purchase or a bunch of rumors or someone who suspects he may have had some kind of vague problem or someone forcasting Ridgid going out of business or not supporting some product line or complaints about Home Depot or Hillary Clinton.
        Most of the guys I know who use LI tools every day on the job have little or no issues. The contractors who work and abuse tools every day know that at some time he will have a problem with any of them. Including cord and cordless tools we use virtually every brand made including Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosche, Delta, Ridgid, Skill, Hitachi, Craftsman, Black and Decker and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. At some point we have had problems with every brand.
        Whats to worry? Ridgid has a solid long term reputation, they build good products, they provide a lifetime service agreement that includes the batteries. Don't listen to these worry warts and rumor mongers and professional Ridgid bashers. I say buy em and take em out and work em. You won't be sorry.
        Last edited by roadrashray; 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I own quite a few Ridgid tools going back to a grey BS1400 with a serial# of 00005.
          I think that the 24V is not going to be made in the future for several reasons, the Ridgid rep said so[Max select will be changed], Ridgid CO. tech said that HD is not ordering any[I know that does not mean much], HD stores do not have any on order in my area[from a manager for I know for 12 years] and I give up trying to find any starter kits and I am not going to buy extra tools I do not need to just get batteries. How are you supposed to use the Maxselect tools in 24V mode if there is no starter kit and it is discontinued?
          Ray, seems to be the the most happy with those tools but there are not many others I have read about. I have decided to stay with the NiCads. I had bad 24v and 18v LiI issues.
          Can anyone besides Ray ,comment on positive results with the 24V tools?
          Ray, I am not trying to pick on you or bash Ridgid, [look at my join date]I just think that the 24V system is a bust. I am glad you like your tools, but can you see the issues here are not just for complaining sake?
          I know of no contractors that are using them, and I know many, from HVAC to General Construction. I know some who use the V28 Milwaukee and like them for the most part but they are no revolution in cordless tools as advertised.
          Time will tell I guess.

Comment

Despite all of the debate surrounding the Ridgid 24V tools, Ridgid's next marketing move no matter how small may provide the answers we all seek about the fate of the product. Its been too long since the introduction of new competitive types of 24V tools and definitely too long for the release of additional batteries. If the batteries were more readily available the product's future would be harder to determine. This forum and the 18V tools have led me to the conclusion that Ridgid 24V tools are durable, reliable and professional-grade but some factor is affecting the competitive edge I expect from Ridgid (is it marketing?, patents?, inter-TTI competition?, indecision for 28-36V products?,etc.). The only other clue I can think of is the poor marketing efforts by Ridgid's host (HD). No 24V tools are available to be seen or touched by potential buyers. The HD tool guys on average do not know their product. The current status quo can become very interesting if more yellow clearance stickers appear in order to move inventory, i.e.:caulk gun, planer....

Comment

Here is a response from Ridgid when I asked if the 24v XLi line was being discontinued...

Nate:

No, Ridgid is not discontinuing the 24V LI line, and each Home Depot store chooses what they will or will not stock. That decision is usually based on wheter the items is something that they believe that they can move/sell, and not something that will end up sitting on a shelf collecting dust, or have to be discounted to move out.

Extra or replacement Ridgid batteries and their pricing can be obtained through your local U.S. Home Depot. If a particular battery is not in stock at the store level, their special services desk can assist with ordering them for you.

If you are located in Canada, batteries can be ordered through the Ridgid master parts and accessory distributor at 1-877-544-9253.

Best regards,

Tom C.
              Consumer Response
              One World Technologies, Inc.

Since HD is slashing the prices on these kits it appears to me that HD has made the decision to go in another direction. Considering the relationship between HD & Ridgid I don't see why Ridgid would continue to market these products if HD isn't going to sell them.

If its not a stocked item I'd be worried what the battery cost would be. My guess is that you would pay the same price you'd find at RidgidPart.com which is currently $199 or half of what I paid for the 3 pc kit. Has anyone had HD order a 24v battery and if so what did you pay?

I still haven't returned the kit but since HD has reduced the price I'm considering asking for a refund of the difference. I believe I've seen some messages on the forum that people have done this when the price is dropped.

Comment

More on Ridgid cordless tools and the HD relationship.
                1-From a business standpoint I like the tools and believe Ridgid will continue to support them.
                2-The background and training of Home Depot staff is very poor as I have mentioned many times in the past. It is however no worse than Lowe's which of course is no excuse. With all the brands and models each of them sells I wouldn't expect anyone to know the features of all the power tool products however I believe they should have background so they know the difference between a screw gun and a rattle gun or between a impact driver and a impact tool. They should have access to computerized information with full detail for each Makita, DeWalt, Ridgid et all product they carry. They do not. I find tool product information through publication test, forums, other contractors and web site reviews. Both HD and Lowe's is worthless for product info.
                3-It is my opinion that TTI entered into the exclusive distribution agreement with HD hoping to inexpensively ramp up their new power tool product line a few years ago.. As another member of this forum pointed out they were provided instant product placement in all the HD stores and access to the millions of HD customers who are in the stores shopping and buying every day. HD has been a questionable partner as many of us have discovered when trying to obtain information or purchase the many Ridgid power products we see listed on the Ridgid web site and we can not find them either in HD stores or their web site. I would hope that eventually Ridgid would expand their power tool product distribution to the independent retail network similar to Makita, DeWalt and the others.
                Our rationale for supporting Ridgid power tools is a simple cold hearted business decision. We have been purchasing Ridgid cordless power tools because we have found them to be very capable power tools that take the kind of daily abuse we give them and hold up quite well. Generally speaking they are very cost effective when compared to similar featured other brands such as Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, etc. We like the ability to share many tools across batteries and reduce the number of battery chargers necessary to keep the full range of battery voltages charged. We hope the Lifetime service agreement will reduce the cost of maintaining these tools over time. As a company we went through the Makita 9.6V tools in the beginning and moved to the DeWalt 14.4V product line when that seemed to make good business sense. Now for all the reasons listed above we are using Ridgid extensively. If another company came along and offered what we perceived to be a better relationship for out power tool needs we would switch.
                4-Ridgid marketing-It is not the best I have seen and they are poor in adding products. There is a lot of sketchy information and incorrect information and contradictory information that comes from Ridgid customer service, their web site, and from their MyEbox personnel. It's important to remember that this group of marketing people was just put together in the last few years. This is all new since TTI got the licensing agreement a few years ago. I would hope they will get it straightened out fairly soon. They are couragous with this open forum. I hope they are monitoring the information that is being candidly discussed daily and using it to improve their products and support. At times it sure doesn't look like it. I think many of us feel like mushrooms sometimes.
                5-In closing a word on the HD inventory of Ridgid products. Just to remind everyone we are in the middle of one of the greatest economic downturns suffered in this country in many years. HD's core business is right square in the middle of this blowout. It is prudent of them to reduce inventories which I have noticed. I have not noticed anything more with Ridgid than their other power tool products
                Thats my story.....and I'm stickin with it....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  We are contractors and have approx 40 Ridgid battery tools with a bunch of 9.6V,12V,14.4V and 18V Nicad batts and approx 12 Ridgid 24V and 18V LI batts. We use and abuse our tools hard all day every day. Except for an issue with the 24V LI batts very early over a year ago the performance of the LI batts has been flawless. For a professional the LI batts are clearly superior. They have greater power in the fully charged state, longer run time, and we can top them off with a full charge at the end of every day so we are starting with a fully charged battery every day.
                  If you review most of the posts in this thread you will see they are from some guy who is agonizing over a $100 purchase or a bunch of rumors or someone who suspects he may have had some kind of vague problem or someone forcasting Ridgid going out of business or not supporting some product line or complaints about Home Depot or Hillary Clinton.
                  Most of the guys I know who use LI tools every day on the job have little or no issues. The contractors who work and abuse tools every day know that at some time he will have a problem with any of them. Including cord and cordless tools we use virtually every brand made including Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosche, Delta, Ridgid, Skill, Hitachi, Craftsman, Black and Decker and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. At some point we have had problems with every brand.
                  Whats to worry? Ridgid has a solid long term reputation, they build good products, they provide a lifetime service agreement that includes the batteries. Don't listen to these worry warts and rumor mongers and professional Ridgid bashers. I say buy em and take em out and work em. You won't be sorry.
                  Here, here. Ray, I second that.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post

Thanks
                    I took a chance with the lithium ions, and I'm loving it so far. Running at about 10 months service usage right now, quite happy. Definitely worth it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                      I own quite a few Ridgid tools going back to a grey BS1400 with a serial# of 00005.
                      I think that the 24V is not going to be made in the future for several reasons, the Ridgid rep said so[Max select will be changed], Ridgid CO. tech said that HD is not ordering any[I know that does not mean much], HD stores do not have any on order in my area[from a manager for I know for 12 years] and I give up trying to find any starter kits and I am not going to buy extra tools I do not need to just get batteries. How are you supposed to use the Maxselect tools in 24V mode if there is no starter kit and it is discontinued?
                      Ray, seems to be the the most happy with those tools but there are not many others I have read about. I have decided to stay with the NiCads. I had bad 24v and 18v LiI issues.
                      Can anyone besides Ray ,comment on positive results with the 24V tools?
                      Ray, I am not trying to pick on you or bash Ridgid, [look at my join date]I just think that the 24V system is a bust. I am glad you like your tools, but can you see the issues here are not just for complaining sake?
                      I know of no contractors that are using them, and I know many, from HVAC to General Construction. I know some who use the V28 Milwaukee and like them for the most part but they are no revolution in cordless tools as advertised.
                      Time will tell I guess.
                      Always the eternal pessimist, right?!

Comment

Ok that makes 2 that like the LiI tools. That is not really a concensus. I really do not have any brand loyality to any tool Manuf. but why the "team spirit" for ridgid is strange. It is a tool company not a college sports team .As I said time will tell.

Comment

I have had the 24 volt kit since it came out and have had no problems with them. They are powerful and the batteries last a long time. The HD's in the DFW area all just got more shipments of them 2 weeks ago and the one closest to my house ran out and has more on order.
                          For all Repair and Cleaning needs in DFW, call THAT GUY! 817-565-7508

Comment

Not exactly a 24V issue but I just want to let members know that a LOCAL HD had one 4pc 18V Li-ion kit marked down to $374 from $499 with a green/white sticker. The sticker also had the "SLOW MOVER" box checked off.
                            Last edited by reConx; 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I have an all lithium battery setup - 1.5 Ah 18 volt, 3.0 Ah 18 volt and 3.0 Ah 24 volt batteries. I use my tools professionally - meaning everyday if not in the manner used - and am impressed with the LiIon technology. Moving into the warmer to hotter months, the real difference between my NiCad and LiIon experience will be how they perform in heat. Last year in the California summer heat the NiCads didn't hold up at all and took forever to cool before they'd accept a charge. The lithiums don't seem to generate the heat and are monitored by circuitry that hopefully will allow me to use them all summer without the heat problems that frustrated me last year. I reserve the 24 volt batteries for the circular and recip saws and have a better understanding of the batteries characteristics and nuances. Haven't had any real problems with the 18 volt ones and after swapping out the initial 24 volt batteries I am now impressed with their power. My vote is in support of the LiIon batteries. Just a question, anyone have any hot weather experience to speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                                I have an all lithium battery setup - 1.5 Ah 18 volt, 3.0 Ah 18 volt and 3.0 Ah 24 volt batteries. I use my tools professionally - meaning everyday if not in the manner used - and am impressed with the LiIon technology. Moving into the warmer to hotter months, the real difference between my NiCad and LiIon experience will be how they perform in heat. Last year in the California summer heat the NiCads didn't hold up at all and took forever to cool before they'd accept a charge. The lithiums don't seem to generate the heat and are monitored by circuitry that hopefully will allow me to use them all summer without the heat problems that frustrated me last year. I reserve the 24 volt batteries for the circular and recip saws and have a better understanding of the batteries characteristics and nuances. Haven't had any real problems with the 18 volt ones and after swapping out the initial 24 volt batteries I am now impressed with their power. My vote is in support of the LiIon batteries. Just a question, anyone have any hot weather experience to speak of?
                                I used mine on the job last summer and had no issues with heat. Had the 24 volt stuff all summer and the 18V LI after July which included some high ninety's days. Just a guess, however it would seem that since the better NiCad charger had a cooling fan and none of the LI chargers have them, Ridgid engineering wasn't anticipating any heat problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X