X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24volt XLi 3PC Kit Battery Issue

I've seen some issues discussed regarding 24 volt battery issues but I have yet to read a thread on the issue I'm having.

I purchased the 24 volt 3pc combo kit yesterday. The first battery charged fine, the second would not exit the evaluate mode (red flashing light). The manual says that this will occur if the battery is too hot or cold, then when the battery reaches the proper temp it will begin charging. I tried charging it again this morning so I know its at room temp but it still wouldn't charge.

Any ideas??? I don't expect defective product from Ridgid right out of the box. I might take it back this weekend and get something else...

Re: 24volt XLi 3PC Kit Battery Issue

all this 24volt problems is making me insecure a little bit...

i didn't have your problem when i first charged up my batteries this weekend...sorry i can't help much...

thankfully i don't use them all day everday so i can afford a week or so if i ever need to send them in

Comment

It sounds like a defective battery. I had this problem when I bought the kit after it first came out. I took it back to depot and exchanged it for another one. Has worked fine ever since.
      For all Repair and Cleaning needs in DFW, call THAT GUY! 817-565-7508

Comment

I returned the kit tonight and exchanged it with a new one. Both batteries charged this time, so far so good. I was hesitant to exchange it fearing I'd get another defective kit. I asked the clerk at the return counter if she had many returns on the 24 volt tools and she told me it was the first one she had seen. Not sure what thats worth.

Date code for defective battery: G0720
        Date code for new battery: G0726

Comment

Just as a little heads up I was at HD today and saw a stack of 24V Liion batteries that they had all labled bad/defective. probably 8-10 batteries. Not a good sign

Comment

Originally posted by nhiggins22@yahoo.com View Post
            I returned the kit tonight and exchanged it with a new one. Both batteries charged this time, so far so good. I was hesitant to exchange it fearing I'd get another defective kit. I asked the clerk at the return counter if she had many returns on the 24 volt tools and she told me it was the first one she had seen. Not sure what thats worth.

There were a number of issues with defective 24V batts in early 07', however I haven't heard of any problems since then. We have 4 of them and work them very hard every day and have had no issues.
            I was curious as the numbers you refer to as date codes are the model numbers. Is there a date code imbeded in the model number?

Comment

mine is G0726 too...*knock on wood*

Comment

The G0726 number is the serial number for the tool, in this case the battery. The battery number is 130377001. There is another number E183634 which may be the model number.

I could be wrong but if this number is in fact a date code it would be July, 26 2007. G would be the month (A=Jan, B=Feb, Etc), 07 would be the year, and 26 would be the day manufactured. The codes for the tools (drill, recip saw, charger) have a different format. Mine start with BD and end with 32 so this logic would not apply. Since the tools are not age sensitive it would make sense to have some kind of date code on the battery.

DuceLee: When did you purchase your batteries/tools?

Comment

I just read in post titled "24V LI-Ion battery problems" that the date code is the year, then the week manufactured so 0727 would be between 8/12 & 8/18. Looks like I was way out in left field...

Comment

I just read in post titled "24V LI-Ion battery problems" that the date code is the year, then the week manufactured so 0727 would be between 8/12 & 8/18. Looks like I was way out in left field...
                    lol, yeah we've all been there...

i just bought mine last week...

came accross a problem already

drilled a couple of 1/2 inch holes in some 2x4, stopped working after 4 holes, put in charger, says its fine, used another batter worked again, again for another 5 or so holes, same thing again....hmmmmmmmmm

not to bash ridgid or anything, i got a couple of their other tools, electric ones, and i couldn't be happier...but so far something doesn't seem right...

Comment

Used the hammer drill tonight for some light duty work with no issues. I guess I'll have to get around to some projects I've been putting off for a while to make sure I didn't buy a lemon. If I have any issues within 90 days they're going back.

Comment

I have been using the 24volt for about a year and a half and noticed something that may help other with battery issues.

I was drilling into concrete (1/4 bit on high speed) and the drill began to struggle under heavy load. After only 4 holes, the drill stopped. I started with three bars!

So I put a second, third and fourth battery, each with 3 to 4 bars of power and they all died after the drill was under heavy load. I pulled the drill out and ran under no load and heard the drill clicking and could feel the drill wanting to spin. The best way I can explain it is: intermittent pulsing

I charged all four batteries and the lights went from 1 to 3 to 4 in about 20 seconds. I placed the batteries on the drill and tried stopped the drill with my hand. The battery did the same thing, went down to empty level and the clicking sound again. I waited about 30 seconds and continued to press the power meter and noticed the meter came back from none to 2 to 3 bars in about 30 seconds.

My point is; these li-on are great but they lose(stay energized) there energy very fast under heavy load. If you use the drill under extreme load you will need to let the drill sit for 20 to 45 seconds in order for the battery to refresh itself. For those that have the 36v Dewalt, I would assume this does not happen as often due to less stress from the higher voltage but I would be interested to know if this is all li-on or just these RIDGID kits.
                        Last edited by onlycordless; 02-17-2008, 01:04 AM.
                        http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Originally posted by onlycordless View Post
                          I have been using the 24volt for about a year and a half and noticed something that may help other with battery issues.

I was drilling into concrete (1/4 bit on high speed) and the drill began to struggle under heavy load. After only 4 holes, the drill stopped. I started with three bars!

So I put a second, third and fourth battery, each with 3 to 4 bars of power and they all died after the drill was under heavy load. I pulled the drill out and ran under no load and heard the drill clicking and could feel the drill wanting to spin. The best way I can explain it is: intermittent pulsing

I charged all four batteries and the lights went from 1 to 3 to 4 in about 20 seconds. I placed the batteries on the drill and tried stopped the drill with my hand. The battery did the same thing, went down to empty level and the clicking sound again. I waited about 30 seconds and continued to press the power meter and noticed the meter came back from none to 2 to 3 bars in about 30 seconds.

My point is; these li-on are great but they lose(stay energized) there energy very fast under heavy load. If you use the drill under extreme load you will need to let the drill sit for 20 to 45 seconds in order for the battery to refresh itself. For those that have the 36v Dewalt, I would assume this does not happen as often due to less stress from the higher voltage but I would be interested to know if this is all li-on or just these RIDGID kits.
                          x2

honestly in the production world, it may be hard for any tool company to achieve six sigma and get a 3.4 defects per million in their products because these products gets used under stress, BUT, still, these tools should NOT have a failure rate greater then 1 or even .5%, that would just be horrible already as it is...

ridgid is a great company and all, but looks like they got some bugs to work out with these 24volt kits...seems like a decent amount of people are experiencing some issues, myself included...

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
                            x2

honestly in the production world, it may be hard for any tool company to achieve six sigma and get a 3.4 defects per million in their products because these products gets used under stress, BUT, still, these tools should NOT have a failure rate greater then 1 or even .5%, that would just be horrible already as it is...

ridgid is a great company and all, but looks like they got some bugs to work out with these 24volt kits...seems like a decent amount of people are experiencing some issues, myself included...

The batteries I have are not defective because they work under light and relatively heavy loads without fail. I have drilled door knob holes at high speed with no problem. The point is, the batteries may not be capable of handling heavy loads.
                            I have used the kit(not professionally) for about a year and a half. I have never put the drill under this heavy load I mentioned before, until recently.

The fact is; although the tool is rated at 615in. lbs, it could only sustain this torque for a few seconds. The tool has enough power, however, the battery can not keep pace with the tool. This may one more reason that Dewalt's watt ratings are more practical and relative. This obviously would not happen with a corded tool because of the consistent load and not from an energy source.
                            Others have complained about using the batteries under light load and experiencing similar problems(this would be considered a defective tool or battery).
                            This is not the case with my 2 kits.

I would be interested to hear from people using other manufactures' tools to find out if they have similar battery problems with li-on regarding heavy loads.

Is it RIDGID and maybe Milwaukee Li-on?(same company). It seems that the RIDGID battery is not capable of handling heavy loads for more than a couple of minutes unless you let the battery sit for 20 to 45 seconds in order for the battery to refresh itself.(which may be impressive depending on what you expect from a cordless tool).

For all the people(including myself) hoping to replace all their corded tools with cordless, we are not there yet with battery technology.
                            Last edited by onlycordless; 02-18-2008, 12:20 AM.
                            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Having used the Bosch PS10 and 40 ,dremel , all smaller LiIon tools that work without any problems, NiCads may still be the best overall performers in heavy duty use in the Ridgid tool as of today.
                              You might think it is the LiIon battery but the review I read from Tools of the trade, on rotary hammers, tested a V28 and it worked well even when they pushed it to its limit, whereas the 18V,3aH Makita did not match the DeWalt 18V NiCad's .
                              This is a interesting quote on the 36V LiI vs 18v NiCad;
                              "With the exception of a chipping mode, this tool features similar performance to its big brother–but at half the price–and uses more-common 18-volt nicad batteries. "
                              performance. The 36V Hilti was the best but cost over 1K!
                              http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...36620&artnum=7
                              What is the point of a 24V tool if you can not use it in a heavy duty manner?
                              I can find almost no 24V anything in the SoCal area which maybe the largest market in the country. Ridgid is not sending any units as far as I can tell and their rep has not responded to me or the tool dept mgr either. Something is weird with all this and unless you buy a kit you have no LSA, just 3 yrs on the batteries.
                              I am still trying to decide if I will return the Ridgid cordless tools I just bought and stay with my Milwaukee, DW, and Makita NICad's/NiMh's. I can not really use an 8pc kit on 2 x 1.9aH NiCads, and I refuse to buy batteries that do not have LSA because other brands have tools that are really better . HD has actually raised the prices now on the 3 pc 24V kit to $379, and no free tool offer anymore either.
                              Why they have a regular size LiIon in the Ryobi tools and no such starter 18v, 3 aH kit in Ridgid also is strange.

Comment

Working...
                              X