Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

24 volt kit problem, bought 18v LiIon drill kit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 volt kit problem, bought 18v LiIon drill kit?

I had a problem with the 24v battery kits they had to go back and they have none to replace and Ridgid has no production right now and the CS rep said she did not know why or when . Seems weird, OH I forgot it is Ridgid I am dealing with.
    I bought the 8 pc. Ultimate kit and wanted to have the 24v option esp. on the circ. saw and more batteries. I found 2, $99 Compact drill kits, 18v LiIon.
    I would like to know are these batteries better than the Ni Cad's for run time? I assume they are better than the 1.9ah in the kit. How will they run the saws ? That has been a problem in the past for me with run time.
    I can find no 24v kits except the 3pc but I do not need another recip. saw.
    I have a full 18v NiCad Milwaukee kit, and some Makita, Dewalt too in NiMh ,Nicad and wanted some cordless that would not go dead in storage like the older batteries.
    If I buy the 18v 3aH LiIon battery only, there is only a 3 yr. warranty, told to me by the CS rep. today, only kit batteries are LSW.
    I would rather not open the kits if the run times are not good on the compact LiIon's. Other brands seem to have good results with their compact LiIon's but I do not know about the Ridgid's.
    Any experienced help would be much appreciated.

BTW she said that the 18v chargers in the kits I bought will charge any 18v battery, all LiIon's too even the 3Ah's.
    Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-11-2008, 09:39 PM.

Re: 24 volt kit problem, bought 18v LiIon drill kit?

1-I only use the 18V LI with the drills and impact. The run time has been excellent
    I have no idea what they would be with the saws as I always use the 24v batts with those. The saws use alot of power so I would expect them to eat up the 18V LI 1.5Ah very quickly.
    2-It has been my experiance that both the 18V LI and 24V LI lose charge fairly quickly in storage. It's common for 24V to lose 25% in two weeks. the good news is they can be recharged at any time as opposed to the NiCad where you had to wait for it to discarge completely.
    3-The 18V charger that came with my 8 piece kit had the LI sticker on it.

Comment

My Bosch and Dremel last for months holding a charge. My CR123A LiIon also hold as well and my Canon SLR D-30 battery too. Seems odd that the Ridgid batts do not act the same.
      Are you storing them in the cold? That will really discharge LiIon batts fast.
      BTW from studies there is no memory effect on modern day NiCad's only the very old types and running them to empty can even damage the battery. Any charge does count towards the number of times it was charge cycled and thus can shorthen the life span[# of cycles are somewhat fixed] not damage the battery if charged from a non discharged state. In fact the more expensive DeWalt charger that did have such a feature, to discharge and then charge ,actually damaged the batteries in doing that. You never want to fully discharge the LiIon batts as that will damage them permanantly. I think the Ridgid batts have a shut off feature as do some LiIon smaller flashlight type batts.
      It seems that this LiIon battery from Ridgid may not really be much of an improvement except in weight for the voltage output..
      I may just return the $99 drill kits and wait till they sort this out. The 8pc kit for $299 is a steal though, not really useful with 2 x 1.9Ah. batts. I only have 12v Ridgid otherwise.
      Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-11-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Anddrew,

I have the 8 piece kit also and in looking around at the HDs that I frequent, I found 2 of the 24V XLi Combo kits - R937 for $89.50 each. They iclude the battery, 24 volt charger and bag. They closed out last year, but I found two of them because the HDs in my area are doing a renovation of the tool department and are apparently finding stuff that they thought they long ago either thought was sold or lost. I walked in and spoke with the service desk and they couldn't help me, but when I went to the tool department, there they were - unbelievable - 1 at each store. I use them for the 24 volt circular saw which is the only compatible 24 volt unit in the 8 piece kit. All the others are fine with either the 1.5 Ah 18 volt lithium (I have 2) or the 3.0 Ah 18 volt lithium of which I have one. Five batteries and (1) 18 volt charger on sight covers my tool useage - I've not had to recharge the 24 volts in the field as the 2 - 24 volt units carry me fine. Big difference in performance even above the 3 Ah lithium vs. the 24 volt 3.0 Ah batteries. Hope you can find the R937 combo kit - HD SKU #965-110 according to the sticker on the box, and still sells for $89.50. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks, I would love to find a kit. If you find any could you PM me ? I would pay for shipping to Monrovia,CA 91016 and any cash for you time /gas.
          Last edited by Andrew M.; 02-12-2008, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            My Bosch and Dremel last for months holding a charge. My CR123A LiIon also hold as well and my Canon SLR D-30 battery too. Seems odd that the Ridgid batts do not act the same.
            Are you storing them in the cold? That will really discharge LiIon batts fast.
            BTW from studies there is no memory effect on modern day NiCad's only the very old types and running them to empty can even damage the battery. Any charge does count towards the number of times it was charge cycled and thus can shorthen the life span[# of cycles are somewhat fixed] not damage the battery if charged from a non discharged state. In fact the more expensive DeWalt charger that did have such a feature, to discharge and then charge ,actually damaged the batteries in doing that. You never want to fully discharge the LiIon batts as that will damage them permanantly. I think the Ridgid batts have a shut off feature as do some LiIon smaller flashlight type batts.
            It seems that this LiIon battery from Ridgid may not really be much of an improvement except in weight for the voltage output..
            I may just return the $99 drill kits and wait till they sort this out. The 8pc kit for $299 is a steal though, not really useful with 2 x 1.9Ah. batts. I only have 12v Ridgid otherwise.
            Andrew.......the power and run time for both the 18V LI and 24V LI batts has been excellent and we use them on the job every day and work our tools very hard. The batts do have a monitoring circuit that shuts the batt down when it reaches the minimum discharge level. Some one suggested the Ridgid LI batts self discharge due to the monitoring cicuit built in to them. I have never confirmed that thesis with Ridgid. For the most part we are using and charging our batts at such high frequency it's not an issue. Based on our experiance the tools and batts have performed very well in a demanding professional use/abuse environment...Ray
            Last edited by roadrashray; 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I am concerned that Ridgid CS said no manufacturing is going on the 24v line at all due to the cost factor. That is why the introduced the 3aH 18v. I have look everywhere for the 24v and the only thing I find is a 3pc HD/Recip saw for $379. I would think the run time on the 2.5aH NiCad are better than the 1.5aH Li I bought so maybe I should buy the drill kit for $129 w. 2 18v ni cads? I did not know non kit batteries where not covered by the LSA. I might give up and retrun all of it and stay with the tools I have which are not cordless Ridgid except the 12v angle driver and drill I bought years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                I am concerned that Ridgid CS said no manufacturing is going on the 24v line at all due to the cost factor. That is why the introduced the 3aH 18v. I have look everywhere for the 24v and the only thing I find is a 3pc HD/Recip saw for $379. I would think the run time on the 2.5aH NiCad are better than the 1.5aH Li I bought so maybe I should buy the drill kit for $129 w. 2 18v ni cads? I did not know non kit batteries where not covered by the LSA. I might give up and retrun all of it and stay with the tools I have which are not cordless Ridgid except the 12v angle driver and drill I bought years ago.
                I would be very cautious of stuff "told to you by Ridgid CS". They have an extensive history of being inaccurate.
                During the last year they told many callers there was no problem with the 24V batts when many people were experiancing failure which was finally acknowledged later
                .........told many callers that the batts included in the 18V LI compact drill kit were 3Ah when in fact they were 1.5Ah.
                They need the 24V batts and tools for the recip and circ saws. The 18V doesn't have the grunt. They aren't going to discontinue them. If you want the facts from Ridgid I suggest an email. For some reason the info in them is more accurate than CS tele.

Comment

I still am looking for a 24v batt.kit but there are none to be found. They only 24v anything is a 3pc kit for $379 which is not what I need since I have the 8pc. I think that it is a bad deal that batts only in kits have LSA.

Comment

The 24 volt MaxSelect Starter Kits (1 charger and 1 24-volt battery) are being clearanced out, and apparently discontinued in that packaging set-up. Very hard to find at this point. Looks like Ridgid is getting ready for a repackaging of their product line.

Comment

Occasionally I need more power than the usual 18V kits but the 24V Li-ion battery looked huge and I needed to know how its weight compared to my 18V Ni-cads. The HD tool guy allowed me carefully open one of the 3pc 24V Li-ion kits because there were none on display. I was impressed that the 24V Li-ion plus hammer drill was significantly lighter than any of the 18V Ni-cad drills non-hammer or hammer on display. Weight can be a factor when I use the tool all weekend on a job. The new $339 price is nice too. Another positive factor is my 18V batteries will power the max-select tools if needed. 24V power at the 18V weight. Does anyone know whether the max-select tools are significantly more "heavy-duty" than the 18V tools? FYI: They had a couple of kits available at my local HD......
                      Last edited by reConx; 02-29-2008, 01:45 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Try this, I was given a 24vXLi Ridgid battery pack from a rep with a model # of R85008 and a sku # of 648846052083. On the package it says register for the LSA. Although they did decline my registration saying it was a promo item that was given to me.

Comment

FWIW, the 24 volt tools all work with the 18 volt batteries, whether they are Max-Select or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X