X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 or 2400LS

I'm new to the game so I've only started to buy tools.. woot!

Looking at table saws, both the Ridgid 3650 and 2400LS and I'm a little stumped.. I have a pretty big garage and the 3650 will fit, but I'm wondering that would be like learning to ride a bicycle, but buying a Ninja 1100. However, I don't want to purchase tools that will only last me a year either.

My plans are to start building furniture. I'm fascinated with antique furniture and would like to learn a lot of the old ways, but at the same time making sure I have good tools to work with. I've look at a lot of the larger power tools and I like the look and quality of Ridgid so I've decided I'm only putting Ridgid power tools in my garage. I seem to have a problem of not liking the rainbow assortment of tools in the garage. I figure if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do this right.

My first project is to build a workbench. I'm not going to use any nails or screws. 10' wide, 3' deep, 3' high. 2x4x10 up right for the table top, 4x4 legs.. Some what of the style shown in Christopher Schwarz "Workbenches" book. Here is a CAD I did of it.. I'm not that good in CAD, lol.. http://www.chizl.com/aspuploaded/workbench.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.
    Chizl

Re: 3650 or 2400LS

If you have those type of plans (you are in the same boat as me) go for the 3650 funds permitting. I don't think it is really comparable to the 2400 when you are considering making furniture and the like. The 36" capacity of the 3650 is really helpful for these type of things, plus, it weighs almost 300 lbs, so it will be more stable. If you are planning on putting a bench in your shop that big, you must have a pretty big shop, so the portability of the 2400 isn't needed.

PS. You might want to re-think making your bench 3' deep, that seems pretty deep. Most workbenches that I have seen are closer to 2' wide, and some up to 26", my bench is going to be 2' by 5', but I also have a pretty small shop. I just would think that eventually having a bigger bench would just be a place for junk to collect, but that is just me.

Good luck with your purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by automobiliben View Post
      PS. You might want to re-think making your bench 3' deep, that seems pretty deep. Most workbenches that I have seen are closer to 2' wide, and some up to 26"
      I've thought about that in the past for about 2 seconds, but guess never put any real thought into it. I've see up to 27" and since I'm only 5'9", leaning over 6' of bench doesn't work so well. Ha!

Thanks for the reply.
      Chizl

Comment

If you don't need the portability of the 2400, and don't mind spending the extra money, the 3650 has just about every structural and usability advantage. True of almost any full size stationary saw relative to a portable.

The bigger saw offers better stability, a larger work surface (especially in front of the blade), quieter motor, better longevity, lower vibration, and should generally be a bit more pleasant to use. Get a good blade and align it well, and you should be set.

Comment

Yes, I think I'm sold on the 3650.

automobiliben,
          I took your advice and modified my workbench to 26" depth. I think I may even move the width down to 8' instead of 10'. I guess I was thinking too big and since there is only one of me, not sure I need all that space filled up with a workbench.. Too many other power tools that need that space.
          Chizl

Comment

Chilz, i just picked up the 3650 too...saw is sweet as hell

not too many people at my work place work with wood...nice to see other IT folks on here and sawmillcreek play with wood...

btw, honestly is there really a difference between a software developer and software engineerer?

i'm thinking its just a matter of what your company decides to call you...my company just changed from software engineerer to developer last year...it's all the same right?

Comment

At any level you are, learning will be a lot easier on a bigger saw like the 3650than the 2400. The more table surface and stability the saw has the better. You should only consider the 2400 if high mobility is an issue. There's nothing wrong with the 2400, it's a fantastic saw and what I use, but if I had the room for a 3650 I would go with that and not think twice about it.

Comment

I got the 2400 for xmas now I just need a garage to work out of. LOL. I like the portability of it as well as the stability over other "tabletop saws"

If you dont need to move it dont by the moveable one, but make sure you have a few friends with you when the wife Bit***s at you to clean up the garage.

Comment

I don't need anyone but myself to move mine all over my garage. With the hercu-lift on it, mine rolls with an easy touch. The hercu-lift was one of the major selling points for me, and I have not been disappointed by it, that is for certain.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                    I don't need anyone but myself to move mine all over my garage. With the hercu-lift on it, mine rolls with an easy touch. The hercu-lift was one of the major selling points for me, and I have not been disappointed by it, that is for certain.

Jeff
                    I assumed the 3650 was stationary, maybe when I build my workshop Ill step up.

Comment

Working...
                    X