Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone use the milwaukee V28 stuff???

Definitely take magazine reviews with a grain of salt. V28 and 36V drills are the same size and weight. 6.7 and 6.9 lbs if you want to split hairs. All the other tools in the 36V line are just about identical in size & weight to the other 18V XRP tools which makes them no bigger or heavier. The 18 and 36 batteries are identical weight and the 36 is slightly larger in overall shape, but not much.

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
    I've had the Milwaukee V28 for almost two years now. They've always worked great.
    Another post said the Dewalt 36 volt is the same size as the V28. Well I've never used the Dewalt, but I read a review in "Tools of the Trade" magazine where they compared all the big lithium tools. The reviewer said the Dewalt was more powerful, but he liked the Milwaukee better because they were lighter and less bulky. He also chose the V28 as the overall winner. I think this test was done before the Bosch 36 volt came out.

Comment

Someone brought up a problem with the wiring on these drills, and someone else said it was fixed. Why hasn't anyone brought up how cheap these things feel? I received my V28 1/2" Hammer Drill yesterday and upon opening the box I was shocked at the poor quality of this thing. The forward/reverse selector is just loose in the housing; the locked position is hard to find. The trigger feels like it could break at any moment. The battery locking tabs don't impress me.

I purchased this drill on recommendation of a coworker who is a long time user of Milwaukee. I've used his Milwaukee drill and it is high quality; somewhere between when he purchased his and when I purchased mine, Milwaukee sold out and outsourced to China to save a few bucks and pass on the junk to it's customers.

They need that 5 year warranty because their junk will fall apart every other week.

Comment

So send it back and go buy something else. I'm pretty sure there's at least a 30 day return policy on it, but you'll be hard pressed to find a tool not manufactured in China or a European union country. I believe my V28 set was manufactured in Slovakia or something crazy like that.

Works great though.......
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Looking and feeling cheap is one thing, being cheap and unreliable is another and they don't necessarily go hand in hand. I think thats the case with most tools now. They all feel cheap with a few exceptions. You'll have a hard time finding power tools not made in China, and chances are those that are not are just assembled elsewhere out of chinese made parts. I really don't think it matters much anymore where the parts are made anyway. Low quality parts are used because that's what the manufacturer specifies to keep costs down in order to stay competitive and profitable. You could certainly have very high quality made chinese parts, but they would just be more expensive anyway.

Comment

Take the magazine reviews with a grain of salt "as someone else already stated". They tend to be swayed by advertising dollars. Try the tools head to head for a good comparison. Many HD's and tool distributors have tool shows where all manufacturers are present. Actually try the tools out head to head if you can.

Comment

Working...
            X