X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 12 Volt Pocket Drill

Yeah, ese! Looks like here comes the Ridgid 12 Volt Pocket Drill...
    Attachment

Here's a link to This Old House's webpage, where they have this item shown:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...408408,00.html

I love the fact that this thing has the LED light, and also I like that it has a 3 jaw chuck, rather than a 1/4" quick change shank set-up. With the chuck, you can actually use it with standard bits, with no need to pick up 1/4" quick change versions. Also, it looks like the little battery pack is almost identical in design and setup from that picture to the Bosch and Milwaukee ones. I'm hoping that this thing comes in a little kit with it's own charger definitely (another one???!!!, I can hear my wife saying now), and hopefully with 2 little battery packs, like the other manufacturers supply with theirs.

Also, I'm wondering what the price will be, and when the release date will be. Come on, Josh and ProBrand - give us something, fellas! I can't believe it's on TOH's webpage, but we still haven't got a definitive release date or any information yet from Ridgid/TTI/OWT. Feed me, Seymour!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by canucksartech; 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM.

Re: Ridgid 12 Volt Pocket Drill

thats pretty sweet...

Comment

I'm just really glad too that the overall design is the same or almost identical to the general design that's in place for the 18 volt compact lithium-ion drill, and that's also going on with all of the MaxSelect tools. May sound stupid, but it's nice that all the tool design flows together. It may not be a big thing to some people, but to other (anal-retentive, nit-picking, design-focusing) people like me, it would suck if the design was so different from everything else, that it would look out of place sitting beside all of the other tools (similar to the newer drill compared to the original 1/2" NiCad 18Volt drill). I like that not only are all my power tools from one brand (generally), but it looks like they were bought in one giant kit, and everything works smoothly design-wise as well as operationally speaking as well. Yes, I use my tools well, but I like them to look good too.

I'm also curious what size that one-handed chuck is. I don't think they'd be able to fit a 1/2" chuck into that small of a package. But I'm wondering if it would be a 1/4" or a 3/8" chuck.

Comment

Hmm, I will probably still rather pick up my PS-40 to drive screws, but that thing definitely would be nice than my old standard Ridgid 12V drill. I wonder how they compare to eachother. If the chucks have the same capacity, that would be nice, but I really wouldn't want to give up the capacity for a smaller size...

Comment

Finally a pocket driver with a chuck instead of the 1/4 shank thing. Ive been thinking about getting the 9.6 volt pivot driver for a while but this little guy with the chuck and higher voltage is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just curious as to what the price is going to be for it, if it's like 150 bucks I may just buy the pivot driver for 47 which is still a great deal.

Comment

if you can get past the chuck issue, the 9.6 pivoting driver is a very useful tool. i was initially put off by its slow speed, but it sinks 2.5" drywall screws without pilot holes with no problem. its on clearance for $47 and easier to handle than my 18 volt hammerdrills. main draw back is the need for quick connect drills and drivers.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

What's the runtime been like on the 9.6 volt screwdriver?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                What's the runtime been like on the 9.6 volt screwdriver?

it depends what you are doing, but it seems like it lasts forever

Comment

See that the new 12 volt pocket drill is now up on the webpage - sweet. Good work Josh and ProBrand - thank you for listening to some of our gripes. Definitely is a difference being noted with the release of these tools - nice to see info ahead of time. Very much appreciated. The winds of change are good.

Comment

this is due 03/02/08 in my HD it does come with two batts and a charger and a case for 129.00

Comment

I'm in the market for a "pocket" driver and was considering the Bosch PS-10/20/40. It will be interesting to see how the Ridgid performs against other "pocket" drivers. I predict that the Ridgid with 12V power should be superior to the Bosch products plus LSA. We may see a repeat of the "voltage wars". My first drill was 9.6V (a genuine Black & Decker)

Comment

the bosch has 80 in lb and the milwaky has 100 and the ridgid has 120 let the up scaling begin

Comment

Working...
                        X