Is the R9223 set a good deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the R9223 set a good deal?

I got the last R9223 5 pc from HD last night for 299. In my opinion, the R9223 is definitely a better value than the hammer drill for 149, the 18V 1.5 Li-ion kits at 99 or 187 and the new 4pc 18V 3.0 at 499.
    My initial impressions of the kit are:
    **Impact drill chuck wobbles alot during operation, is that normal?
    **Hammer drill is very heavy (7lb+/-)
    **Recip saw=convenient + will be perfect for trimming bushes & dead branches
    **Love the light-perfect for showers during power outages
    **Circular saw-nice but I prefer corded
    Another thread stated that the Makita LXT407 18V 4 pc is $320 (499 at HD)---which looks extremely tempting
    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by reConx; 02-24-2008, 12:03 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by reconx View Post
      I got the last R9223 5 pc from HD last night for 299. In my opinion, the R9223 is definitely a better value than the hammer drill for 149, the 18V 1.5 Li-ion kits at 99 or 187 and the new 4pc 18V 3.0 at 499.
      My initial impressions of the kit are:
      **Impact drill chuck wobbles alot during operation, is that normal?
      **Hammer drill is very heavy (7lb+/-)
      **Recip saw=convenient + will be perfect for trimming bushes & dead branches
      **Love the light-perfect for showers during power outages
      **Circular saw-nice but I prefer corded
      Another thread stated that the Makita LXT407 18V 4 pc is $320 (499 at HD)---which looks extremely tempting
      What are your thoughts?
      Reconx,

5 tools is always better than 4, which is better than 3, etc., especially at the price that you paid. Impact chuck wobble is normal in that the impact driver is not a precision tool, but a work horse. Get it going behind a Simpsen 5/8" Titen into concrete and you'll see what it does. Its' gotta have that play to hammer, but it'll also handle the smaller stuff quite handily too. The hammer drill is big and heavy, but when you have one of those Speed Bits in it going into a top plate drilling holes for electrical or a hole saw, let's say, that bit sucks the drill right on through with little effort and you'll appreciate something to hang on to when those things take off. I've used the 18v compact lithium on that kind of work and when the battery has had enough and it binds, it'll twist your wrist off on restart almost (I usually grab the big guy and a NiCad instead of the lithium 1.5 or 3.0 Ah if I've got a lot of holes). Circular saw at 18 volts is good for the smaller stuff - a few 2x cuts, notching, and plywood/OSB plunge cuts, but wouldn't suggest for serious framing stuff. My partner has some of the Makita stuff and we try to compare against each other, but we find at the 18 volt level, it's gets down to he likes what he bought and I'm happy with what I bought, but we find that they both get the job done by the end of the day.

Comment

Spinalzo,
        That was a great explanation for a impact drill novice. I'm looking forward to impacting some lag bolts this spring instead of the usual wrenching and grunting. My best cordless tool up until now was the 18V Ridgid drill and now I got the rest with the R9223 kit. Thanks again for tool update.

Comment

I just bought the 299 set a few days ago. It is a great set for the price. The only reason I bought though, was the supposed lifetime warranty. After registering the tools, and actually reading the warranty, I believe it is a HOAX. They are very clear that it is only for manufacturers defect, not normal wear and tear. They go so far as to say it is very uncommon for a tool to have a defect after being used for some time with no problems. What this means to me is the tools have no warranty at all beyond the 90 day return period. I am only concerned about the batteries really, as the tools are heavy duty for personal useage. But batteries have a life cycle of so many charges, so if they fail in 5 years of normal use it is not a warranty item, it is normal wear and tear. I knew it was too good to be true. My set is going back and they can figure out how to put in all back in the box. I bought a drill 4 years ago that had the warranty I don't remember it being so weak then, but maybe it was. I would be interested to hear what actual experiences are with this warranty.

Comment

there are lots of past posts on the topic, please browse the sight and check them.

Comment

I did search and this is one thread that came up. I believe most everyone searches, and can do it. Some of the related threads are from 4 years ago when I bought the first Ridgid item. The box on the set implies free batteries for life. I just want to hear someone say they actually had batteries replaced free after a long time and after they wore out from normal wear and tear. Otherwise, it appears the actual warranty, or contract, is a hoax to dupe buyers. A lot of people don't read the warranty, only see "lifetime." I probably did that the first time. This may be what the marketing dept expects.

Comment

I too was skeptical about their warranty. Often 'Lifetime' warranty means for the expected lifetime of the item. The following was just taken from the Ridgid website and clearly says it includes normal wear items including the batteries, and lasts for the lifetime of the original owner. No I have had any reason to try and get any service under this warranty.

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:
                The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID®Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID® Brand products.

Comment

Working...
                X