X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the R9223 set a good deal?

It is now on closeout for $299. The one thing I like about the set is that it has the 6 1/2" circular saw that has the blade on the left side (better for right handers). Does the newer 6 1/2" saw have more torque? How about the other tools in the set, are they just as good as the newer ones.

I know it is Nicad but then if I get the R86006 (18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Drill) it then comes with 2 Lithium-Ion batteries.

Am I correct in assuming that if batteries are purchase without the tools they have no lifetime warranty (if that is so it kind of defeats on of the major reason to purchase Ridgid).

Also are there any coupons that HD will take if i do spend ($299+187)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

Re: Is the R9223 set a good deal?

The Ultimate kit for $299 was better, assuming you could get one, although someone recently noted it had gone back up to $499.

Have you looked for a deal on the 24 volt lithium? They might all be gone....

The R9223 is $599 plus tax in Canada, so $299 is a deal. I'd buy two of them and get rid of the extras on eBay - the impact driver alone should get 80 bucks on eBay.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I bought that kit a couple years ago and paid $450.00. I'm retired and use the tools occasionally, but when I do they perform very well. All the tools are very strong, hammerdrill is powerful and you can just feel the quality. The impact is very impressive, I've driven 3/8th lag bolts with no problem even used it for automotive work. Reciprocating saw cut through 1/2" threaded rods no problem and no cord to lug around. Circular saw is also very strong. My only complaint is that I don't get good run times with the 2.5AH batteries. I would strongly recommend you not waste your money on the compact drill and lithium batteries if you expect to use them in these other tools. Instead buy the kit and use it for a while, if you still feel you need extra batteries or run times buy the 3.0 AH 18volt lithium which is currently sold separately. I'm hoping they will be sold as part of a kit in the future but that might not happen. By the way the twin bay charger is also great, fan cools the battery as it charges. I don't think you will be disappointed in the least with this choice. Good Luck.

Comment

Historically, $299 for the 5-piece is a great deal. Unfortunately it comes on the heels of the 8-piece set that was stunningly marked down to the same $299. If I'm not mistaken, the 5-piece is normally $449. Compared to the 8-piece, you are missing out on the cordless screwdriver (nice), caulk gun (WTF?) and the jigsaw (very nice). However, it only comes with the 1.9 a.h. batteries and a single charger. With the 5 piece, you are getting the 2.5 a.h. batteries and the twin charger, which is pretty cool.

I wouldn't hesitate getting the set at that price.
        Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Tinmack:

>Have you looked for a deal on the 24 volt lithium?<

Are you refering to the R931?

At $379 I think it is overpriced for just 2 tools. Has it been available for less?

Thanks,

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by joe_d View Post
            Historically, $299 for the 5-piece is a great deal. Unfortunately it comes on the heels of the 8-piece set that was stunningly marked down to the same $299. If I'm not mistaken, the 5-piece is normally $449. Compared to the 8-piece, you are missing out on the cordless screwdriver (nice), caulk gun (WTF?) and the jigsaw (very nice). However, it only comes with the 1.9 a.h. batteries and a single charger. With the 5 piece, you are getting the 2.5 a.h. batteries and the twin charger, which is pretty cool.

I wouldn't hesitate getting the set at that price.
            Good point about the batteries and twin charger - I was thinking about that yet neglected to differentiate between the two battery/charger types.

You could always sell the batteries and grab some of the 3 amp lithiums later on....

As I noted before, I'd grab two kits and see if I could pare off the extras. I'd keep the extra light and bag from the second kit and sell off the rest. I'd also be looking for a Lowe's coupon and getting HD to match it. If you can't find a competitor's coupon, I'd roll over to the Pro Desk at HD and demand at least an extra 10 percent off - maybe 15 to 20 since I would be buying 2 kits.

Either way, it's a good price..........

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB View Post
              Tinmack:

>Have you looked for a deal on the 24 volt lithium?<

Are you refering to the R931?

At $379 I think it is overpriced for just 2 tools. Has it been available for less?

Thanks,

Alan
              The R931 appears to be the current combo in the system...I was referring to the R932 kit which has the circular saw along with the recip and the drill. They may be already gone in the US. In Canada, the R931 is $499 and the R932(bigger kit) is $489, essentially on clearance, where the R931 is listed as current stock. I'm circling the R932 but waiting for a further drop or a 20 percent off(or more) sale. I mainly use Milwaukee, but I got a bunch of the MaxSelect tools in the fall and now I'm on the hunt for batteries. I have two of the early 18 volt lithiums, but I might grab some 24 volters for back up.

Of course....If I could grab the R9223 set for $299 I'd be all over it...........considering it's $599 here in Canada.

Comment

the 9223 is a great set. you can't beat teh 2.5ah batts and teh twin charger is a real bonus. i got the 9223 for one of my sons for $239 in a bronx HD that was relocating. last christmas, got the 932 for my other son for $317 plus a free max select tool. and yes, ridgid CS was kind enough to call me to advise that batteries purchased as individual accessories are not eligible for LSA registration.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If I could find a R932 for $317 I'd grab it in a second! Are they still available? The Ridgid site has them under their product archives...so I guess they are discontinued?

Alan

Comment

they are few and far between but they occasionally find their way to the floor after being buried in store overheads. that's where i would look. if u can find one, it's a good kit. my son has had no battery problems and the recip saw is very powerful. the batteries are also lighter than 18V nicads. good luck.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I think the R9223 set was one of the best price/performance tool purchases Ive ever made.

At first I figured the only thing Id really use was the drill, but Ive used every tool at least 5x already. The impact driver is a piece of work......the drill just kinda sits now, I use the impact for everything I possibly can.

Also had the chance to buy the Ultimate kit, but with the lower cap. batteries, only 2 18V batteries in the kit, and single port charger, I think the 9223 was the better deal.

As far as selling off the extra tools, I looked at parting out a complete Ultimate kit, and *maybe* would find 130.00 profit in it (looking at current Ebay going prices for the tools). Not sure if the 130.00 was worth the hassle of dealing with Ebay, PayPal, fees and shipping.

-Chris

Comment

I just went out and picked up the last R9223 set at HD. I had a 15% off any one item for Harbor Freight, and they took it. So I got the set for $254+tax. Now I will wait for a good deal on a set of something that includes a Lithium-Ion tool and 3.0 amp hr. battery (so as to get the warranty on the battery). Thanks for all the help!

Alan

Comment

Rock on dude.....you should have been wearing a mask when you got it, 'cause you, like, STOLE it, man...............

It's like a 2 fer 1 sale down there........

Comment

FYI - the 8 pc kit is back up to 499.99 up here in CT. Even the manager had no idea why they brought the price back up....so much so, since it was the last one in the store, they dropped the price back down to 299 for a friend of mine to buy it (also, considering the STORE didnt even know they had it, as far as Im concerned we should be able to set our own prices ).

So if the 9223 or 8 pc kit are in your store, buy em while you can! I love my 9223 kit, the 8 pc would have been nice to have but since my friend got it I can always borrow the caulking gun or jigsaw.

Comment

Just picked up the 5 peice set 299.99, it last one at my HD. I didn't really need it sice I have all those tools from Dewalt.

Comment

Working...
                              X