Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 4 Piece Lithium Set

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
    $500 is way over priced for this set, you can buy a Milwaukee V28 for about that, or a 18V LiIon even less. The LiIon tools Ridgid is positioning in a market that is not on the same level of quality or performance. I was totally diapointed in the compact 18v drill, my Makita 12v or Milwaukee 14.4v are much better in build, chucks are much higher quality and better motors/gearbox all metal for about the same weight. The drill chuck is terrible in runout and grip, a cheap chuck like on a Ryobi tool and it it too bulky and heavy compared to the other compacts like Makita(white) for example, which you can buy a ID and Drill set for $225 as opposed to drill only for $187 in Ridgid. They do not even have a compact ID.
    I agree, the Milwaukee V28 set is awesome, and Amazon and perhaps a few others have the free tool offer on now, so you can get the impact wrench with the set as well.

The Ridgid kit is the same 18 volt tools that have been around for a while, just packaged with the newer lithium batts...

Now, if a guy wanted to do some work, he could find the 5 piece kit for $299, and if he wanted a lithium back-up, buy two of the $99 dollar drill sets. You then sell off the drill and chargers from the 2 $99 sets(sold off a drill and charger myself for $53, you may get more or less) and you're left with a bigger set with more tools and two choices of batteries - the 2.5 nicad or the 1.5 lithium. Plus you got the twin charger and the impact driver for a net cost of probably $400-$450. Or you get 4 $99 kits instead of 2 and you sell the nicads off and get the same dollar result. Or you keep one of the compact drills for second drill choice, whatever. That is what I would be doing if I was hooked on the Ridgid and wanted 18 volt instead of Milwaukee V28. Especially if you figure you might be jonesing for a radio down the road and you want a Ridgid or Milwaukee radio.

You may agree, you may not, and of course, you gotta do some work this way.

Go the Milwaukee route and you point, click, wait for it to arrive, send in for your free tool and wait for it to arrive..........
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

tinmack;
      I have the 8pc kit , which I plan to return, and there are no 24V starters kits anywhere here, I checked, no 5pc kits either. 3pc kit for $199 or 24V for $379
      I thought the twin charger not would not chg. LiIon cells?
      The ridgid 18V compact drills I bought had very short run time, 1.5mA only ,heavy for a compact compared to others and the chucks were bad in grip and runout. My 12v drill from Ridgid was better when the battery was new. I see no advantage esp. since it takes 1hr to charge instead of 20 minutes for a NiCad.

Comment

Then get the V28.......
        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
          I see no advantage esp. since it takes 1hr to charge instead of 20 minutes for a NiCad.
          Are you talking about the 18 volt lithium ion batteries, 1.5 Ah? 'Cause my 18V 1.5Ah lithium ions only take about 25 to 30 minutes to charge. The 24V 3.0Ah XLi lithium ions take up to an hour to charge if fully discharged.

Comment

AM,
            I am very interested in this kit! There seems to be a difference between the hammer drill in the 4 versus 7 pc kit. Can you explain this?

]Makita LXT407 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 4 PC Cordless Combo Set
            Price:$319.99
            Amazon.com

Comment

Best to go to Makita.com to check. There are some different drills in the LXT line.
              I know from other forums that they like the LXT tools. I can not see how Ridgid is going to sell their 4pc for $500, and $100 batteries regardless of the LSA, and no LSA on any batteries bought outside of their kits.
              Makita even has a Radio in the 7pc kit for $579.

Comment

I was at Home Depot this morning and they had some of the new kits. They were priced at $449 instead of $499. They also had the compact drill marked down to $168, and the 3pc 24v kit was $339. They even had a couple of 24v starter kits. The new pocket driver was $129.

Comment

I stumbled on this thread while researching what cordless set to purchase next. Presently I have a Milwaukee 18v NiCad set that I have used for several years and I love it, the problem is when one of the batteries, I about had a heart attack at what replacement batteries cost. After seeing an advertisement for Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement, I'm thinking a new set of Ridgid 18v Lithium powered tools are the way to go. That way I will not ever neet to buy a battery again. Now on this thread I'm seeing people recommend a lot of great combo sets, but do any of them have the LSA on the batteries? I'm not a professional contractor, I'm just a home improvement nut that uses his tools for a big home project, and then they sit for 2-3 months until I have time for the next project,. So my questions are:

Do any of the other manufacturers offer a LSA on Batteries? The Ridgid sets with the LSA seems to be the most cost effective over time. Am I right or am I way off base on this?

Is there anything else I should be considering when buying a new set?

I've been saving up the HD gift cards and I just want to make the wisest choice.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydrohaven View Post
                    I stumbled on this thread while researching what cordless set to purchase next. Presently I have a Milwaukee 18v NiCad set that I have used for several years and I love it, the problem is when one of the batteries, I about had a heart attack at what replacement batteries cost. After seeing an advertisement for Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement, I'm thinking a new set of Ridgid 18v Lithium powered tools are the way to go. That way I will not ever neet to buy a battery again. Now on this thread I'm seeing people recommend a lot of great combo sets, but do any of them have the LSA on the batteries? I'm not a professional contractor, I'm just a home improvement nut that uses his tools for a big home project, and then they sit for 2-3 months until I have time for the next project,. So my questions are:

Do any of the other manufacturers offer a LSA on Batteries? The Ridgid sets with the LSA seems to be the most cost effective over time. Am I right or am I way off base on this?

I've been saving up the HD gift cards and I just want to make the wisest choice.

Thanks for your help.
                    Not to knock your choice on Ridgid I have mine and love them, but I would just buy a new battery. My brother used Makita for years and still has some 9.6 and 14.4 V stuff. Compared to a lot of "more powerful" stuff out there these tools hold up well. He was able to find some batteries from a third party for $30-40 ea. If the tool isn't broke no need in replacing it. The Makita stuff is weel made. I used to work for them on an assembley line and QC is/was on of there top priorities on every part. I remeber when they cam out with a new drill or repair some they would grab a 4x4 nd start driving lag screws in it to make sure it was up to spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydrohaven View Post

Thanks for your help.
                      I have the 24v kit and love it. I would imagine the 18v tools are comparable to the other brands out there. The LSA on batteries is probably one of the biggest reasons many of us have bought ridgid tools. Just remember it only covers batteries in the kits, not batteries bought individually.

Comment

HR
                        Which 24V kit did you get? What is the best deal out there for 24V? Another member mentioned they selected the max select 24V tools to allow optional use of the lighter batteries for "lighter" jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by reconx View Post
                          HR
                          Which 24V kit did you get? What is the best deal out there for 24V? Another member mentioned they selected the max select 24V tools to allow optional use of the lighter batteries for "lighter" jobs.
                          I have the 3pc kit R931(drill, light, sawzall) plus I bought a circular saw at the same time. All of the tools in any of the 24v kits are max select. I saw the same 3pc kit this morning for $339. It was $379. The circular saw is $119. So you get the whole thing for $450.

Comment

I saw the single 3.0 ah 18 volt LI-ION batteries at my HD today for $99 each.

Comment

Working...
                            X