Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFFICIAL: the radio

Originally posted by Davet View Post
    The way battery technology changes every year, I really don't see the big deal about not having a built in charger.
    IMO having a built in charger would mean the charger would be obsolete very quickly anyway.

I would rather bring the charger along that fits my drills, which all are "currently" Makita 18volt lithiums.

Racing is big big business in this area, a lot of guys buy race radios.
    A weather / emergency band would have been nice along with the race band.

I also like the way it is built that you and use it as a stand to place your chargers on or as a step.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth on this radio..
    This looks like an awesome radio.
    Pretty much that's it.... I completely agree with most of the other posts, why not open the scanner to monitor Police, EMS, Weather, etc, just like a $50.00 Radio Shack scanner?? This radio should have been designed for working professionals as a JOB SITE tool.. I don't think there are too many NASCAR races during normal working hours. However, opening the freq. range to monitor weather , etc. would be VERY valuable on a daily basis.

Also, as a reply to the quoted post above. The battery chargers have not changed much in the past 5 years except for the Lith charger so I think your point is pretty invalid.
    Without a charger in this radio, why not just buy a $10.00 Wally World radio? So, without a built in charger and a $10.00 WM radio, I am still carrying TWO items and it didn't cost $150.00!!!

I sure hope Emerson / Ridgid reads these posts and take notes from suggestions.

Comment

I have to agree with you woodcraft. If you think about it, this radio was not built for everyone who owns ridgid tools because undoubtedly lots of us don't get to the races that much to use the race scanner (in fact most of us probably don't). The point I think is that this radio could have been built for everyone if it had a charger ( I know it's patented and not Ridgids fault ) as everyone who buys the radio can use a charger. I try to get out to Watkins Glen every year and we end up having to park like miles from the track, then we walk over. I wouldn't wanna be lugging that heavy radio all the way to the track and all the way back in order to use the scanner. If it's a scanner I want I would have to go with the 50 $ much lighter radio shack handheld, thus making this radio just a radio. I'm not a big fan......Price is also an issue and maybe if they drop it down to 99.00 or less I would think about picking it up. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Hey guys...I'm new to the Ridgid forum world but been a fan/owner of Ridgid tools for a couple of decades. My local HD received one radio...just one...and I have to say after looking at it, I had to buy it. It's overpriced, it lacks a charger, and it weighs too much but I just couldn't say no. It's just too sexy. And at my age, that's about as exciting as life gets. haha~
        sigpic

Comment

I heard it in HD and it is no where as good as my Milwaukee, sorry guys but it might look good but the sound is like the first DW radio,poor Better to buy the Milwaukee, the V28 running on the battery is excellent. I have the second gen 18V version. They both sound best with the battery as the 120V ac becomes 12V dc if you plug it in so the amp does not work as good as on the DC batteries.

Comment

Yep. You're right. I actually own a Milwaukee also and it probably sounds twice as good. Probably due to the Rockford Fosgate alliance. But even though the Milwaukee has the ipod pouch, I must say, the Ridgid got that part right. Easy access/charging/secure area for an ipod.
            sigpic

Comment

patented by who? Rigid? Why would this hinder Rigid incorporating a charger in a Rigid product?

Comment

Originally posted by knightfisher View Post
                patented by who? Rigid? Why would this hinder Rigid incorporating a charger in a Rigid product?
                Please review past threads and posts - this is a question that has been looked at an answered dozens and dozens of times before.

DeWalt has a patent issued on a radio/charger combination. Yes, Bosch has one, but they are stuck paying patent infringement fees to DeWalt for those units sold.

This patent is what hinders Ridgid from incorporating a charger in their radio.

Comment

Wow The Radio has made its way to HD. I got the Radio 2 Days ago and get real happy to see it on the shelf. So like all good RIDGID tool guys i went to grab it. Thats when i thought my back was going to go out! What and Why is the Radio so heavy???? Needless to say i bought it and when to test it out. Thats when i got it out and powered up and pluged in the ipod. NO IPOD CONTROL. Ok so i got a radio that is Heavy, No Charger , A pointless Nascar scanner ( At lest for me) and to top it off a connector for ipod that you have to open and close just to change a track and no read out on the display.

RIDGID im so disapointed! All the wait, all the hype, all the excitment. I cant believe i have to return (for the first time) a Ridgid tool back to home depot.

Maybe next time you guys will get it right. I hope soon

Comment

Wow The Radio has made its way to HD. I got the Radio 2 Days ago and get real happy to see it on the shelf. So like all good RIDGID tool guys i went to grab it. Thats when i thought my back was going to go out! What and Why is the Radio so heavy???? Needless to say i bought it and when to test it out. Thats when i got it out and powered up and pluged in the ipod. NO IPOD CONTROL. Ok so i got a radio that is Heavy, No Charger , A pointless Nascar scanner ( At lest for me) and to top it off a connector for ipod that you have to open and close just to change a track and no read out on the display.

RIDGID im so disapointed! All the wait, all the hype, all the excitment. I cant believe i have to return (for the first time) a Ridgid tool back to home depot.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bmg607 View Post

Hey, bonehead. How about not posting the same post 5 different times in 3 different threads!

Comment

Just picked up the radio at the local HD on Feb 29, 2008.

My first impressions:
                          1. Feels solid - nice weight to it.
                          2. Sounds great - can turn it up and it still sounds good. Base response with boost is very acceptable keeping size of speakers in mind.
                          3. Battery life is good with the 24v LI and 18V NiCd but if going out all day make sure you have a few spares or a charger (or a plug).

Constructive Feedback:
                          1. iPod feature is great - but controlling iPod is difficult. When you dock your iPod into the unit it is upside down and is hard to read. Also, the strap partially obscures the screen and/or buttons on my iPod (4th generation 40GB). Using a side grip ratcheting clip like you see on some of the window mount cell phone holders would solve that issue. It would also be great if you could control the iPod from the radio control panel and not have to access the iPod to make song changes etc. The other option would be to put the docking connector on the opposite end of the cradle so that when you dock your iPod and have the door open it faces you.
                          2. Radio reception is weak with the included antenna but they do give you a connection option for hooking up an additional antenna to boost the signal. Connecting the extra antenna did make a difference.
                          3. Cord wrap on the top of the unit going all the way around seems a little cumbersome and partially blocks control panel when used. I think I would have installed wrap hooks on the back of the unit (and still might) so that when you are not using the cord it is not in the way.
                          4. This may only be on my unit but the power/volume button seems a little finicky. This button is pushed to turn on/off and turned for volume. On my unit I noticed that sometimes you really have to give it a deliberate push and hold to get it to turn on or off.

Bottom line is that I'm pleased with the unit and would recommend it. My wife rolled her eyes when I brought it home and said it was unnecessary but I assured her that it was.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                            DeWalt has a patent issued on a radio/charger combination. Yes, Bosch has one, but they are stuck paying patent infringement fees to DeWalt for those units sold.
                            Bosch is NOT paying any infringement fees to DeWalt.

http://www.chicagoiplitigation.com/2...res-new-trial/

Comment

Hey,
                              I'm thinking that replacing the race scanner with police/EMS/border patrol scanner would be a much better option.
                              Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Originally posted by wynne View Post
                                Bosch is NOT paying any infringement fees to DeWalt.

http://www.chicagoiplitigation.com/2...res-new-trial/
                                Looks like that decision was in favour of Bosch then, but that was new info. That only came down in the last few weeks it looks like. Don't worry - DeWalt will appeal that one further. That's the first time I've seen it go in Bosch's favour.

Comment

Working...
                                X