No announcement yet.

Rant! New tools just ain't meant to be!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant! New tools just ain't meant to be!

I went to Homedepot last weekend to checkout a Ridgid planner.
    Our store has now also taken all the floor displays and stuffed them into
    racks or just have a picture of the machine on a display board with basic info on the machine attached to the rack. There was no planner on the floor, no planner on display in the rack, no planner even on the picture display rack!, I did find what looked to be a planner in it’s box up on the top rack!
    I have emailed HD telling them the story above and that I will never again buy a power tool from them unless it is on the floor on display like it use to be. ( bet they will get right on it ) ….

This week is Craftsman Club Weekend, so I went to the Sears website looking to see if they had a good deal on the 14” band saw that I’ve been eyeing up for the past six months, well they only had a club deal on the 12” band saw, well that’s ok, …but when I went to the band saw web page and there was no Craftsman 14” band saw to be found!!!! Looks like they discontinued the saw no longer carry it !

Just ain’t meant to be I guess?
    Thanks for listening to my rant !

Re: Rant! New tools just ain't meant to be!

Originally posted by Davet View Post
    Just ain’t meant to be I guess?
    Thanks for listening to my rant !
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh - you're welcome???

Comment

Maybe it's time to say *&^%$# to the big box stores and lookup a more serious woodworking machinery dealer in your area?

Comment

Davet,

You may be right about the Craftsman 14-inch band saw... it's not listed in the new 2008-2009 Craftsman catalog that I picked up today!

Seems a bit crazy as that item seemed to be rather popular.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Maybe it's time to say *&^%$# to the big box stores and lookup a more serious woodworking machinery dealer in your area?
          Woussko,
          We use to have these great woodworking supply stores with higher end
          machinery and woodworking tools years ago, they are all now gone.
          I would have to drive over an hour to get to any of these type dealers or stores. shame really.

It's gonna end-up... and to some point already has, ..If you want it, you need to order it online.
          The problem with that is you only have a picture to go by.
          I hate that! .. no looking at an actual machine, no playing with the machine on a display floor.
          Last edited by Davet; 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I am not a big fan of Craftsman power tools, but their 14" band saw seemed to be good deal for the money. I do still like their hand tools.

I find it interesting they are now moving in a big way toward selling other brand name power and hand tools.
            I noticed on their website today, they now have Dewalt, Milwaukee, Jet, Lincoln Electric, Sk and K&D.
            It makes me wonder if Sears is going to drop Craftsman all together in the coming years.

Hey ...Woussko maybe that the answer my problem! Because now I will be looking at the Jet 14" band saw! ....Wonder if Sears will have one on display????
            Last edited by Davet; 02-24-2008, 07:48 AM. Reason: Added Hey Woussko comment

Comment

I don't think they will ever drop "Craftsman" as a brand product. Especially in the hand tool line. Regarding brand-name loyalty it has a tremendous following. While probably waining a bit in the past decade, it is still one of the top brandnames.

What I think we are seeing, is that Sears is trying to increase it's market share by bringing in other brands. Twenty or thirty years ago, the rest of the Sears line of products (electronics, appliances, etc.) was 100% Kenmore (or whatever their electronics line was) and even things like toys and clothing bore only a Sear's brand. With a declining reputation and market, they were forced to bring in other brands. The hardware line (Craftsman) didn't have to do that because they were still a hot-selling and very reputable brand-name.

But as we all know, the Craftsman name has slipped quite a bit since then. Hence, the need to expand horizons and bring in some other brands. I'm not really sure when that started, but in mid-2001 the Craftsman catalog contained feature pages for Porter-Cable, Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Black & Decker, Lincoln Automotive, Paslode, Chicago Pneumatic, and Ingersoll-Rand tools.

CWS

Comment

Davet

Sometimes it pays to take a drive over to another city and especially if there's a really good dealer or two there. Times have changed and not for the better that's for sure.

As for what Sears is up to only time will tell. I doubt they will drop Craftsman all-together as it is a hot name. For what this is worth I remember when they sold "Silvertone" radios. Their appliances where mostly Kenmore and some were HomeMart. I haven't checked for a long time but I wonder how their Di-Hard batteries are selling. They used to sell Armstrong tires.

For purchases like a planer or band saw, I really think it would pay off over time to take a drive over to a good big woodworking machinery dealer sometime. Next year you would do well to try hard to get to the woodworking show down at the state fair grounds in Timonimum, MD along I-83 and really see things. I'm sure someone on here will post when it is. There may well be a similar show in the Harrisburg area too.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  .....Sometimes it pays to take a drive over to another city and especially if there's a really good dealer or two there.
                  That is very sound advice. The relatively minor extra it will cost to make this drive will be well worth the added enjoyment you'll receive over the years when using a better quality tool. Especially when the alternative is just settling for another just because it's all that is available locally.
                  ================================================== ====
                  ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                  X