X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8" air tool quick connects

I was buying a new air chisel today and the guy working there asked what size of hose I was using.. I told him 3/8".. he said why use 1/4"npt connectors your reducing the flow at the tool. he said using 3/8" quick connects makes a big difference.. then goes on to tell me they don't carry them but suggest I get them from a company down the road.. I google'd 3/8" quick connects for air tools and didn't really come up with anything..

does any of this make sense? is there a real advantage?

Jeff

Re: 3/8" air tool quick connects

Yes, definite advantage. Now, depending on the tool or attachment you're using, you may or may not notice a difference. But for the cent or two difference between the two types of parts, well worth it. More flow is always better - like the difference between a 1/2" garden hose and a 5/8" one. It's a beautiful thing. I do believe you can find them easily enough at any big box hardware store. There's always a good selection of 1/4" and 3/8" connection hardware.

Comment

Check the scfm rating of your tools. Chances are if its something that requires a fairly high continuos air flow, it will be getting choked up at the quick connect if you're using 1/4" couplings.

Comment

You might try looking over this web site and also giving them a call at 1-866-397-4673 as they have all kinds of air hoses and fittings. Tell them what your needs are and I'm sure they can fix you up.
        http://www.hosexpress.com/airfitting...owtoselect.htm

For info on Foster Mfg. Co. products click here.
        http://www.couplers.com/company.asp

This will give pressure drops and air/water flow rates. Series 2 is 1/4", series 3 is 3/8" and series 4 is 1/2".
        http://www.couplers.com/images/catalog/Pg8spec.pdf
        Last edited by Woussko; 02-23-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Hey Woussko, 1/2" is more for a different hose and a bigger threaded fitting though, correct? It's 1/4" and 3/8" that are basically interchangeable on the same hoses and threaded fittings, but I wasn't sure if 1/2" would work on the same also, or mostly only on the bigger hoses. I mighta used those myself, if that's the case.

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I'm no expert but I have been using air for 40 years. Here are some of my thoughts on the topic.

I agree with the other comments about connector size. You never know what future tool you will use. If you buy the largest connector you can for your hose, you won't wind up having to change all your fittings over later on, or looking for an adapter. Plan ahead. They last a long time -- I just replaced my first connector due to leaking at the swivel joint -- after 40 years of hobby work! Also, after once using air tools, you will discover a lot of tools you never knew you couldn't do without .

There are four main standards and they are incompatible: Automotive, Industrial Interchange, and two others I don't remember because they are not as widely used as the first two. If you hang out mostly in automotive shops, buy Automotive. If you hang out in tool shops, buy Industrial Interchange -- it is just a matter of what is convenient to you. I use the latter because that is what I wound up with when I started and didn't know any better. In olden days I bought Sears stuff and that's what came with my compressor.

Be sure to go to Woussko's first link (above). It gives valuable safety info. For instance, for most uses you will want One-Way shut-off couplers. If you use Two-Way, you will be left with power in your tool after disconnecting the hose -- VERY dangerous unless you need that, e.g., a professional who must get into a very tight position to place one nail.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Comment

I use both 1/4" and 3/8" automotive types. On impact tools,die grinders, frame nailers, etc.... I have 3/8" couplers and use goodyear 1/2" hose w. 3/8" couplerhose and swivel, autolube mist inline. I also have a 1/2" hose setup for HVLP spray guns, no lube inline.
              The smaller tools like a brad nailer , air chuck,etc. ,I use a 1/4" hi flow type [couplers that have auto lock open when disconnected] connectors, Lowes and HFT has them[chrome plated brass made in Taiwan], 3/8" hose and swivel.

I have connectors made up to x over either way if I need that.

Comment

Just checked my fittings. 3/8" NPT brass fittings, on a 3/8" interior diameter coiled hose. Works great for me, works nicely with the Ridgid 2.5 gal aluminum twin-stack - lots of flow. I primarily use it for an air nailer, stapler, cut-off tool, and with a cleaning/blow nozzle. Lots of flow. My old work used to have a similar setup, but with 1/4" fittings - 3/8" is much nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                  Hey Woussko, 1/2" is more for a different hose and a bigger threaded fitting though, correct? It's 1/4" and 3/8" that are basically interchangeable on the same hoses and threaded fittings, but I wasn't sure if 1/2" would work on the same also, or mostly only on the bigger hoses. I mighta used those myself, if that's the case.
                  1/2" fittings would be too large for home use. I would not advise trying them. I just put them in the post so people can see which series is which. You will need to check the thread sizes of the 3/8" hoses and fittings as some come with 3/8 NPT pipe threads and most of us need 1/4 NPT threads.

Comment

Cool, thanks Woussko.

Comment

Working...
                    X