X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridigid 8 piece set for $525 CAD?

So I was at the home depot looking at another drill set. The set that I purchased last week was the R840011 drill set that sold for $100CDN. Well today my friend and I went to home depot and they had the 3 piece hammer drill set for $199 and it comes with 2 18 volt 2.5Ah max select batteries, LSA, bag, flashlight, and recip saw. Thinking that this was a not bad deal considering that I'm getting a hammer drill and all the other tools for only a mere 100 bucks more than my plain jane drill. My friend and I didn't buy b/c we had to think about it until we were off work.

After work we went back to HD and found a 8 piece set that came with 2 18volt 1.9Ah batteries, a hammer drill (with more torque than the hammer drill in the 3pc set according to the specs on the side of the box), flashlight, impact driver, recip saw, circular saw, jigsaw, screwdriver, caulking gun and a carrying bag and charger set (single battery). All this for $525 CAD marked down from $699 CAD.

Is this a decent deal and how well does the 8 tools fair up against its corded counterparts?

The only thing that wasn't 18 volts was the screwdriver, it comes with its own 9.6 volt battery.

Should I keep my R840011 drill for $100 bucks, should I upgrade and get a 3pc hammer drill combo for $199 or should I opt for the full blown set 8pc kit for $525?

The only thing I hated about the 8pc set was the fact that it did NOT have the 2.5 Ah batteries. What was Ridgid thinking??

Suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Ridigid 8 piece set for $525 CAD?

those 1.9 batts. are not as good as the 2.5ah batts. the 8 pc set has that powered caulking gun, which is so large as to be laughable and it is teh only ridgid tool i ever bought and then returned as being fairly useless. however, the impact driver is a great tool. and the jig saw is the best jig saw i've ever used. well balanced and effortless. the impact driver, jig saw and circular saw, as Max Select tools, retail for US$119 each. not sure how that equates to CAD. and the 9.6 pivoting screwdriver is being clearanced for US$47. But it has a lot of guts for such a diminutive product. which charger comes with the 3 pc set, single or twin?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Can you tell me how i can purchace a Max Select/jigsaw and planer without buying a combo kit(in Canada). My HD rep. tells me I can't do @ this time???????

Comment

the 3 pc and the 8 pc set comes with a single charger.

3pc set comes with 2 x 2.5 Ah batteries NiCad and single charger.

8 pcs set comes with 2 x 1.9 Ah batteries with single charger NiCad
        It also comes with a 9.6 volt nicad battery for the electric screwdriver.

Comment

The 8 piece set was cleranced down to $299 USD I grabbed one and love it.
          THe battery issue has not been a big deal for me since I am not using them all day every day.

Comment

Originally posted by thawk View Post
            Can you tell me how i can purchace a Max Select/jigsaw and planer without buying a combo kit(in Canada). My HD rep. tells me I can't do @ this time???????
            I don't know about Canada, but here in the US they still have them as individual tools for $119.

Comment

After much thought I decided that I would return my ridgid 8 pcs power tool set b/c there really wasn't an insane deal where I was willing to sit on $550 bucks of my money collecting dust.

I was thinking that maybe driving to the US to go and purchase the same set for $299.

Is the $299 price at HD in the US everywhere? how long will the promo last?

Tool were nice but hard to justify when I don't have any reno projects to work on for the next year or so.

Comment

all the NY tristate area HDs have stickers on the R9223(5 pc) combo kit displays showing $299 reduction. However, the same stores are hit and miss regarding the table saw and recip saw reductions. also, fuego framing saws are not reduced here; still going for $119.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by stevescivic View Post
                  After much thought I decided that I would return my ridgid 8 pcs power tool set b/c there really wasn't an insane deal where I was willing to sit on $550 bucks of my money collecting dust.

I was thinking that maybe driving to the US to go and purchase the same set for $299.

Is the $299 price at HD in the US everywhere? how long will the promo last?

Tool were nice but hard to justify when I don't have any reno projects to work on for the next year or so.
                  The 8pc set have been on clearance for about a month or two no. Might be hard to find. I had saw a few about the time I bought mine, but haven't seen them in the stores lately. Might want to look for the 3pc or 5 pc set that I see in the stores still. I would suggest making a few calls to the stores and see what they have to save you a drive.

Comment

any home depot in Great Falls Montana have any 8 pcs or 5 pcs sets for sale ?

I was thinking of trekking down the montana to get a set if it was cheap enough....

Comment

Does the R840011 come with "compact" NiCad batteries with 1.4Ah capacity? If so, return it for something else that has the MAX-HC's, MAX-2.5's or lithium-ion batteries instead.

Comment

The drill comes with whatever standard 18 volt batteries that are included with the unit.

If I remember correctly the batteries are plain back and are not the MAX HC or the MAX 2.5's.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should jump for the $129.99 drill with li-ion batteries...

Comment

Yes, those are the "compact" 1.4 Ah (I think that's right) NiCad batteries. I used to have that drill kit.

Dude, go with the lithium ion 2 battery kit. I had bought the R840011 kit for $99, ended up buying the $179 lithium ion compact drill 2 battery kit when it came out. Much more satisfied with that one. Ended up selling a 6 month old used R840011 kit on eBay for $96 (go figure).

Comment

hmm well I was debating returning the R840011 drill and splurging on the $229 2 battery Li ion drill kit but I was turned off by the idea b/c the drills only have the 1.5Ah batteries. Kinda sucks that they're not shipping the 3.0Ah batteries with the drills yet. I asked the HD guy for a new SKU and he was only able to find the 3.0 Ah li-ion batteries and nothing else.

Comment

Those batteries may be sufficient for drilling small holes and for a worklight but not any of the cordless saws, impact driver or hammer drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X