X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recippricating saw and wobbly blade

Just bought first recipricating saw, a Milwaukee, did not use yet, but tested it at home to see if it looked o.k. I notice a lot of wobble in blade. Is that common? I was not cutting anything, just running it as test.

Re: Recippricating saw and wobbly blade

how long was the blade? was it "wagging" around or was the chuck wobbling in the saw as you operated it? the oscillating motion of a recip saw should be smooth and steady, especially if it just being "test fired".
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Left to right in rapid motion as it reaced full speed. I wondered if it was because it was not cutting anything? I tried 2 blades, one long, one short. Same with both.

Comment

Seems like the blade clamp (chuck) might be defective. With the saw unplugged if you grab the blade does it wobble if you gently try moving it? It should have a good firm feel. Be sure the collar is fully in the clamped position. At one time there was a problem where too much paint on the blades prevented the retaining pin from passing through the hole in the shank end of the blades. You might try to clean the paint from the shank with either a wire brush or some sand paper and also clean out the hole well.

If that doesn't fix it, I would contact the dealer about a warranty exchange. Good dealers normally work with Milwaukee on a 30 day easy exchange of tools that just aren't right. If the dealer won't help, then call Milwaukee at 1-800-729-3878. I hope you have your sales receipt for it.

Question: Which model Sawzall do you have? Some have an orbital motion to cut wood faster and that will make a blade look like it's shaking about. You should be able to set the saw for straight back and forth motion too.

Try cutting a scrap piece of 2 x 4 or such and see how it acts when under load cutting away.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Seems like the blade clamp (chuck) might be defective. With the saw unplugged if you grab the blade does it wobble if you gently try moving it? It should have a good firm feel. Be sure the collar is fully in the clamped position. At one time there was a problem where too much paint on the blades prevented the retaining pin from passing through the hole in the shank end of the blades. You might try to clean the paint from the shank with either a wire brush or some sand paper and also clean out the hole well.

If that doesn't fix it, I would contact the dealer about a warranty exchange. Good dealers normally work with Milwaukee on a 30 day easy exchange of tools that just aren't right. If the dealer won't help, then call Milwaukee at 1-800-729-3878. I hope you have your sales receipt for it.

Question: Which model Sawzall do you have? Some have an orbital motion to cut wood faster and that will make a blade look like it's shaking about. You should be able to set the saw for straight back and forth motion too.

Try cutting a scrap piece of 2 x 4 or such and see how it acts when under load cutting away.
          I got the one called "The Hachet" model #6524-20 at Home Depot. I was going to buy a Hilti, but prices were crazy and sales rep did not know much. Neither did anyone else working there.

I'll try what you said, thanks for the advice.

Comment

That's a popular model. I would try cutting a bit with it and if it still seems bad, return it soon for another one. It should work well for you. There are loads of that model in use.

Be sure the orbital control on top of the motor is set to the straight position for the first cutting test. This is where there are two arrows one left and one right. It's not the oval position.

If the blade isn't secure in the blade clamp when you try to wiggle it by hand, don't plug in the saw. You may have a bad blade clamp on your saw or you may have the problem with paint on the blade shanks that has to first be removed. I've seen the paint issue with other models.

If in doubt just see if you can exchange it for another of the same. Normally Home Depot is pretty good if you return defective things promptly.
            Last edited by Woussko; 02-26-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X