X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Combo Kit?

Ok I need some help here. I have owned ridgid tools for a while now (5 years). I had the original 5 piece 18V kit Home Depot first offered back in 2003. I sold it to one of my guys a month or so ago still in great shape and picked myself up the 8 piece kit for 299.00...Great deal. But then before I even opened the unit I saw the lithium-ion drill and saw how light it was..wow. Well then found out it was only the 2.5 and then heard that they where gonna come out with a 3.0 combo kit. So I sold my 8 piece kit to another one of my guys and have been waiting for it to come out. Well my Home Depot here in Mckinney TX called me today telling me they had some in. Man its the same old drill I use to have but now with a 3.0 lithium-ion battery making the drill just as hevy as the other units where. No changes to the tools at all. Not even a little light on the drill, which is kinda nice when it starts getting dark and your still out there working..or for attics of course. Anyway I am now trying to figure out what kit to go with..stick with Ridgid or go a different way?? I need a hammer drill, rip saw, circular saw and light.
    Thanks
    David

Re: Which Combo Kit?

I picked up the 8-piece too and although I am not impressed with the 1.9 ah batteries, I knew I could eventually get a pair of lithium-ion batteries to replace them. When you add LI batteries to that 8 piece kit, it's a pretty good set of tools. I cringed when I read that you sold it to one of your workers. It might be another year or longer before you see another deal like that.
    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Yeah tell me about it...I have been beating myself up all day now that I saw that the new lithium kit they put out is the same exact tools just with the new 3.0 batteries...it sucks

Comment

If your HD has any 24v kits left, that may be the way to go. They're on sale for $339, and then get the circular saw for $119. Comes out about the same price as the 18v lithium set. Only difference is the light instead of the impact, and you would have 24v.

I don't think there is much they can do about the weight. They make the compact lighter by using lighter duty parts. The gears wouldn't stand up to hammerdrilling.

Comment

if you can find a 9223 kit, i'd go with that. circular and recip saws, hammer drill, impact driver, light, 2 18V 2.5AH batts. and the fan cooled twin charger. i bought one for one of my sons on clearance for $239 and its the best "fitted out" combo kit ridgid made. those 2.5 batts last a good deal longer than the 1.9ah batts. and we have the 9212, 9213 and 932 combo kits in the family, so we cover nicad and xli battery classifications.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
          X