differences in drills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differences in drills?

So I was looking at my R840011 drill and comparing it against the hammer drills that Ridgid has to offer and these are my observations.

1. Hammer drills have more torque
    2. Hammer drills can well... hammer drill
    3. Hammer drills seem to have a better carbide chuck
    4. Hammer drills on some units have better batteries
    5. There appears to be 2 different hammer drills. The one in the 3pc combo kit has slightly less torque than the model in the 8 pc kit.
    6. Hammer drills have magnesium fronts
    7. Everything else such as overall build quality seem on par.

Is there any real true differences between the drills that would warrant the added costs (I don't need the hammer drill function).

Thanks

Re: differences in drills?

If you don't need the hammer function then save yourself a little change and don't buy a drill that has it. On the other hand, within a very short period of time after you buy a drill that doesn't have the hammer function you'll run into a situation where that feature would come in quite handy. It's a Murphy thing.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

haha yeah Murphy's law always applies!

I'm not overly concerned with the hammer drill function b/c I do have a heavy duty Makita AC hammer drill that would likely pack waaay more power than any cordless variant under 18 volts....

Comment

Originally posted by stevescivic View Post
        haha yeah Murphy's law always applies!

I'm not overly concerned with the hammer drill function b/c I do have a heavy duty Makita AC hammer drill that would likely pack waaay more power than any cordless variant under 18 volts....
        Steve I have the hammerdrill and as a homeowner and DIYer I think it's great, but you've answered your own question. Clearly you don't need the added power, weight and function of the hammerdrill and I've read very good reviews on this board about the compact lithium drill. You could buy that compact lithium and if you discovered you wanted the hammerdrill, pick one up on e-bay cheap. I think you will be pleased with the lighter drill.

Comment

If you don't need the hammer drill, go with the 18volt compact lithium ion kit. However, like BadgerDave said, chaos-theory and Murphy's-Law will always rule out in the end - you may end up buying another drill with the hammer function down the road (like I did!). However, if you can't see a use/need for it in the next year or two, just go with the standard 18 volt. Its a great little tool.

Comment

It doesn't really have anything to do with a hammer drill needing all those better specs. The thing is high end drills which pack more features and usually include hammer function as one of those features. Some brands offer the same high end models in both hammer and non-hammer models. I think it's kind of unnecessary to make both. Adding the hammer mode hardly increases the cost weight or size of the drill so it's just a pain to have to stock and supply two different kinds of drills. I've noticed most places hardly even bother stocking the non-hammer models. Most manufacturers just choose to go with the one size fits all on their high end models. Don't think of it as buying a hammer drill you don't need. Think of it as buying a better drill that happens to have a hammer mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              Don't think of it as buying a hammer drill you don't need. Think of it as buying a better drill that happens to have a hammer mode.
              A very good point, Velo. Well said.

Comment

Working...
              X