X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist-Lock Cords

I recently heard that tying cords together can damage cords and cause short circuits and that twist-lock cords are a better option. Has anyone used twist-lock cords on power tools in the past? I was also wondering if they are a requirement in any parts of the counry. Thanks a lot guys. Take care.

Re: Twist-Lock Cords

Not a requirement down here and never used them, but I will agree that tying them together can cause shorts. I work in the wire and cable industry and have seen plenty of times how the jacket can start to seperate and expose the wiring on cables. It's not a big concern and many variables on how long they will last, but I imagine after years of use and trying together they will eventually seperate and could be a hazard. Best bet just make sure to inspect ou cord from time to time and replace wore out ones.

Comment

Twist lock cords are not a requirement in Canada on a job site, but they are in the theatre/movie/tv industry, and are widely used also in industrial settings.

I too disagree with tying cords together. I always used to use a quick wrap or two of electrical tape from one side to another. But I've seen a type of plug connector thingy that works well.

I've seen it at HD before. It's orange rubber, and basically stretches out and it's two ends slip onto each extension cord on either side of the connected plugs. It then secures the connection, and is a safe method, without creating any posibility of wear or damage to your cords from tying them together. I just tried looking for a picture online, but couldn't find it, but I know I've see them all over the place at HD before.

Comment

Twist-Lock is great if you have matching receptacles and extension cords. Cost may well play a factor and make you back away from them.

canucksartech may be able to find pictures of what he has in mind. I've seem them too, but am not having any luck with pictures to post on here. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          canucksartech may be able to find pictures of what he has in mind.
          This Krazy Kanuck might be poochy-screwed. Here's what I was able to find:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...connectTM.html

It's not quite the same as what I was talking about. What I've seen before is the same orange rubber, but it's connected by 3 rubber pieces that extend from one side to another, and just securely hold the 2 plugs connected together.

HOWEVER, while on my search, I came across another very valuable picture...

Know your trailer weight limit, fellas. Safety first.

Comment

I worked for a guy a couple years that was nuts for using twistlocks on everything.In general They do have advantages and disadvantages....advantage..rarely will your cord come unplugged when dragging it around nor will the tool come unplugged flipping the cord over something...disadvantage...theres times its really nice to be able to use 1 hand to jerk a cord out..like when you get all wrapped up in a holehawg on top of a ladder....been there done that.
            That said one of my next tasks is getting a bunch of twistlock stuff together for the move to the philppines..where I'm at now.Here they use the same outlet style used in the states..but everything is 240 volt.so to save my 120 volt tools from being randomly plugged into 240 I'm going to change all to twistlocks.
            Sam

Comment

Found a couple other things on the internet that are supposed to do the same thing. Both look a little cheesy but seem to do what we are all looking for.

http://www.cordsnake.com/

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/a...n_klamp_ke.php

Comment

This the thing?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43460

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  Close, but no. Same idea, but the one I'm thinking about is orange rubber, not plastic, and it doesn't snap on in 2 pieces, it stretches out and on, and is a fairly stiff rubber. It doesn't completely wrap and enclose the plug, sort of reminds me of a plastic trouble light cage.

Comment

Working...
                  X