Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2720 belt sander will not track, what to do?

Hey everyone,

I bought a 2720 about 15 months ago, and I have used it twice. I used it once to prep a room that had wallpaper for painting, and again to shape a surfboard. I have only ran two belts on it (one clogged, the other is still on it).

When I first used it, the tracking would BARELY keep the belt centered. If I backed the screw out one turn from centered, the screw came out and the spring pulled the front wheel back. So it literally had one thread holding it in place. I thought this was B.S., but it worked, so I used it.

Well that thread let go. Now it doesn't work, and I can't find my receipt.

I went to ridgid's repair parts page, and the little cast piece that has the threads cut into it (Idle roller shaft assembly) is $47! Nearly every other piece on the whole sander is less than $15, even the main housing is only $26.

I searched, and was shocked to find that nobody else was having this problem. I can't imagine them sending me an adjustment screw that was too short. The only thing that I can think of for reason for failure is that there was a void in the casting prior to machining, and QC didn't catch it.

Has anyone else seen this kind of issue on a 2720? Know if it could be covered by warranty? I don't want to take it apart (void the warranty no doubt) to find out i I am right.

Re: 2720 belt sander will not track, what to do?

Welcome to the forum!

It has a three year warranty I believe. Take or send it to a service center (call Ridgid first). It should not be that difficult to keep on track. Mine tracks easily once the belt runs for 5-10 seconds. The tracking knob on mine holds firmly and does not require much adjustment. Maybe you got a bad one. Since you don't use yours that often you won't lose much or any productivity.

Before you call Ridgid, try a new good quality belt (if you have not already done so) and see if there is difference. I use the blue Norton belts from HD.

Good luck, Ridgid should be able to take care of it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMechanic View Post
      Hey everyone,

I bought a 2720 about 15 months ago, and I have used it twice. I used it once to prep a room that had wallpaper for painting, and again to shape a surfboard. I have only ran two belts on it (one clogged, the other is still on it).

When I first used it, the tracking would BARELY keep the belt centered. If I backed the screw out one turn from centered, the screw came out and the spring pulled the front wheel back. So it literally had one thread holding it in place. I thought this was B.S., but it worked, so I used it.

Well that thread let go. Now it doesn't work, and I can't find my receipt.

I went to ridgid's repair parts page, and the little cast piece that has the threads cut into it (Idle roller shaft assembly) is $47! Nearly every other piece on the whole sander is less than $15, even the main housing is only $26.

I searched, and was shocked to find that nobody else was having this problem. I can't imagine them sending me an adjustment screw that was too short. The only thing that I can think of for reason for failure is that there was a void in the casting prior to machining, and QC didn't catch it.

Has anyone else seen this kind of issue on a 2720? Know if it could be covered by warranty? I don't want to take it apart (void the warranty no doubt) to find out i I am right.
      Hey Joe!......What would you like us to do? Purchasing a tool, especially a RIDGID tool at Home Depot and being protected from problems is about the easiest thing I know of.
      1-You say the problem was evident "the first time I used it". Both HD and Ridgid have no hassle exchange policies on new purchases. Both are excellent in supporting those policies. You chose to keep this possibly defective product.
      2-Ridgid has a three year warranty that would have recovered repair or replacement of a defective product. All that is necessary to receive this coverage is for you to register the product on the Ridgid web site or retain the receipt. You didn't register the product although you obviously have computer skills, and of course you have "lost the receipt".
      3-The tool you have qualifies for the Lifetime Service Agreement which you obviously didn't register for either.
      Now you are on this site with you're first post complaining about quality, parts prices, asking about warranty, and help!
      It's a classic!
      Last edited by roadrashray; 03-02-2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        Hey Joe!......What would you like us to do? Purchasing a tool, especially a RIDGID tool at Home Depot and being protected from problems is about the easiest thing I know of.
        1-You say the problem was evident "the first time I used it". Both HD and Ridgid have no hassle exchange policies on new purchases. Both are excellent in supporting those policies. You chose to keep this possibly defective product.
        2-Ridgid has a three year warranty that would have recovered repair or replacement of a defective product. All that is necessary to receive this coverage is for you to register the product on the Ridgid web site or retain the receipt. You didn't register the product although you obviously have computer skills, and of course you have "lost the receipt".
        3-The tool you have qualifies for the Lifetime Service Agreement which you obviously didn't register for either.
        Now you are on this site with you're first post complaining about quality, parts prices, asking about warranty, and help!
        It's a classic!
        This post seems kinda sarcastic/negative. Did you mean it that way? Either way, thanks for the info guys. I knew nothing about the warranty since I do not have the paperwork. I will register the tool and try to get it fixed. Thanks!

Comment

Because it is over 1 year old and you don't have the receipt, I would call Ridgid customer service at 1-800-474-3443 and ask them about it. Not to rub your nose in poop, but why didn't you take it back fast when it seemed to be defective? Within the first 30 days and in many cases 90 days Home Depot is very good about exchanging defective items for another of the same.

Comment

Working...
          X