difference in chargers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference in chargers?

Is there a difference in the little orange chargers between the ni-cad ones and the li-ion ones?

They look physically the same and I'm assuming that b/c a 18volt li-ion battery will fit in my ni-cad charger that they're the same?

Re: difference in chargers?

I haven't seen the Li-Ion charger, or it's part number, so at this point I can only presume that there is some difference. Technically speaking, a Li-Ion battery requires a different charge method than does NiCad batteries. Overheating is a real danger, which can result in possible fire and even explosion. Perhaps the design of these current batteries have overcome those dangers, and/or the charging mechanism may somehow sense the difference in the battery type and switch to the appropriate charging type/rate. The fact is, I really don't know how Ridgid/TTI design engineers have handled this challenge.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by stevescivic View Post
      Is there a difference in the little orange chargers between the ni-cad ones and the li-ion ones?

They look physically the same and I'm assuming that b/c a 18volt li-ion battery will fit in my ni-cad charger that they're the same?
      The older nicad charger will charge li-ion batteries, but not all of the functions will work, such as the led light to tell you when it is full. There was an extensive thread on this a few weeks ago, try doing a search on li-ion batteries and chargers for more info.

Comment

NO they are not the same! The charger that can do the nicads and lithium batteries have a "decal" stating it will work with lithium batteries!

Actually there are some circuit differences although the exterior box/package looks the same!

Do not charge lithium batteries on a nicad charger period.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
          NO they are not the same! The charger that can do the nicads and lithium batteries have a "decal" stating it will work with lithium batteries!

Actually there are some circuit differences although the exterior box/package looks the same!

Cactus Man

The Ridgid sales rep told me, after returning from a conference in GA, they will charge the 18V LiIon batts. but the full charge light will not work. He said it is best to time the charge,30 Min for a 1.5aH, 60 Min for a 3 aH. This also was discussed before. The charger is OK to use. 24V are different

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

Cactus Man
            This issue was thorougly thrashed a few months ago. See below for "final answer" from Ridgid Engineering via ProBrand.

ProBrand
            Moderator Join Date: Nov 2005

Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. To sum up:

The statement from the engineers is to alleviate the concern of hazards. The statement by customer service is correct in that it speaks to "compatibility." While the lithium ion batteries will charge in the older chargers, the led lights will not function properly. Rather than go solid state to show a full charge, the led will just turn off. For that reason, customer service advises using a lithium ion charger.
            Last edited by roadrashray; 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X