Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Cutting Circular Saws

Anyone own or used one of these saws?

What's your opinion on their performance?

What is the true duty cycle? The couple user manuals I have read say anywhere from 6 minutes run/30 cool-off for the Milwaukee to 30 minutes for the Evolution 9" model 230.

One of the contractors on my job is considering cutting some 18" WF beams (the flanges only), then finish the cut (the web) by other means. This will mean cutting the bottom flange (~5/8" thick steel) in position so the saw will be upside down.

How well does the chip catcher work when the saw is inverted?

Also, in gerneral, how much chip debris is thrown out by the saw when cutting in a normal position? Maintaining control of and stopping ALL debris is a big part of this evolution which is why they are looking at alternatives to flame cutting or a plasma torch. No matter what method is used they will tent off the area to contain all debris, but reducing the amount of debris is also a plus.

What kind of mileage do you get out of these blades when cutting thicker steel such as 1/2" or greater. I have read 120 feet but that seems hard to believe. I am thinking of a new blade for each cut (blade cost is not even worth mentioning on this project). A sharp blade has less chance of kickback or binding and cuts faster which time is BIG money on this project. Saving an hour equals tens of thousands of dollars.

From a safety standpoint using the saw they propose (the Evolution 9") upside down in the air working off a scaffold seems risky. The saw tips the scales at 19.8 pounds and draws just a tad under 15A so its no whimp in the power arena. If it kicks back or binds your fighting one mean machine till the blade stops spinning (I did not see where any of the saws I read about have a electronic brake which is strange) . They plan to tether the tool so it can't be dropped if it gets away and plan to use two people to hold and guide the saw. They will also probably do some mock-up training to see how well all this will work.

I'm just trying to find out what you guys might have run into if you have used one in the past that we should be watching for on this job, both from a performance and a safety standpoint. And if you have an alternative tool or method to suggest I'd like to hear about that too.

Video of the Evolution in action
    http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/v...Demo%203mb.wmv
    Last edited by Bob D.; 03-02-2008, 08:16 AM. Reason: Fixed some typos
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Metal Cutting Circular Saws

Wow, 33 have viewed this post but nobodys' got first hand expierence or an an opinion they want to share.

Did I forget to mention it will also be used to cut in a flat vent for a bidet by a DIYer w/o a permit? :-)
    Last edited by Bob D.; 03-02-2008, 05:11 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    ---------
    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Wow, 33 have viewed this post but nobodys' got first hand expierence or an an opinion they want to share.

Did I forget to mention it will also be used to cut in a flat vent for a bidet by a DIYer w/o a permit? :-)
      Bob,

I confess .... I was one of the 33

I don't have first hand expierence but I do have an opinion

I watched the video and now I want one. Do I need one?..absolutely not but I would find a use for it and impress everyone around me

I'll finally have an answer to those pesky HVAC guys that keep putting ductwork in my way

Looks like it throws out way less sparks and debris than a chopsaw

What exactly is considered mild steel anyways?

If it can cut cast iron like steel I'm in

Comment

Bob, I too was one of the 33 (twice).

Sorry, but no experience with this. Sounds kinda scary to me. And I more than know how to clean up wounds, but I wouldn't want to be around. The whole chance of a blade binding with this kind of work, on a scaffold, with this kind of tool. Eeek!

Sorry, but I'm a torch kinda guy when it comes to metal cutting.

Comment

bob, i'm #34

i don't own that saw, but i do own the milwaukee and makita cordless metal cutting saw. 6.5''

i'm very impressed with the saw. i've even cut 1.25'' sch. 40 gal pipe in the air without any issues. the blade and speed is the real key.

i like the low heat and no sparks. same as my dewalt multi cutter 14'' chop saw. this also uses the carbide tipped blade.

can't help you with that particular saw, but the saws i own, i like.

did this help

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys. I know the particulars of this job make it out of the ordinary. The inverted cutting is what scares me...and I won't even be doing the cutting but I can see problems with it. We'll see what happens this week with the mock up training.
            ---------------
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Thanks guys. I know the particulars of this job make it out of the ordinary. The inverted cutting is what scares me...and I won't even be doing the cutting but I can see problems with it. We'll see what happens this week with the mock up training.
              Send me the pictures from the emergency room visit.

Comment

Working...
              X