Blade brake failure on 12" CMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade brake failure on 12" CMS

The blade brake on my Ridgid 12" compound miter saw quite working. After the power is released, the blade continues to spin until it slowly comes to a stop.

The saw is roughly 4 years old with only hobby woodworking use. Is this an easy fix? Is there a part that is easily accessible and replaced for this?

Re: Blade brake failure on 12" CMS

Usually it's the switch that's to blame. Sometimes the switch gets packed with saw dust. If not, check the brushes. My money is on the switch...
    Last edited by Newman; 03-07-2008, 04:05 AM.

Comment

The blade brake should be an electronic piece thats part of the trigger assembly. It runs the motor in reverse when the switch is let go. You will probably need to check or replace the trigger assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by DeerCreek View Post
        The blade brake on my Ridgid 12" compound miter saw quite working. After the power is released, the blade continues to spin until it slowly comes to a stop.

The saw is roughly 4 years old with only hobby woodworking use. Is this an easy fix? Is there a part that is easily accessible and replaced for this?
        Check to make sure your washer and nut on the blade is tight. I had the same problem and found the laser washer and nut had come loose. I put the flat washer on and fixed everything.
        If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

My dad has burnt out 3, yes three of the brakes, and now just burnt up the one on his new saw as well. All 12" Ridgid CMS. (non sliding) Every time, Ridgid has replaced the motor, not the switch to my knowledge, and it fixed the problem for 8-9 months, and then it was dead again. My guess is if you use any high quality, (read very thick carbide teeth) that the weight of the more expensive blades burns the brake out. With the cheepies you can get at Home depot, they stop pretty quick, but with a high quality 120+ dollar blade, you can tell its a strain to stop it.

Comment

I just burned out my second, that's how I came to be on this forum. The first time the saw wasn't even a month old, so I swapped it out for another, and now after a year and a half of very infrequent use this one has done the same. Now I am told it will take at least a month to get my saw back and I am irritated.

The sad part is, I have a lot of ridgid tools that take a beating on site and continue to work hard and serve me well. This saw remains bolted to a table in my garage, getting only light occasional use and keeps doing this. I have a $100 delta 10" that gets dragged around site and worked like a dog that is much older than this ridgid saw, yet has never had a problem.

And P.S to Alphacowboy, both of mine didn't even outlast the factory blade, so it's not just the heavier ones that do this.

Comment

To be honest... I dont even like the saw brakes that much

Comment

Working...
              X