Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact driver versus drill for normal household use

Hello everyone,

I've have read various threads on this website and other tool websites and still can't find a solid answer.

I am looking for a drill to use around the house for things such as installing shelves in the basement, closet organizers and maybe to drill a hole every now and then. I'm obviously not a professional "tool user" and I wouldn't consider myself "handy" when it comes to things around the house.

My current tool collection consists of some old hammers that I inherited from my grandfather, a couple of screwdrivers and a saw.

I was at Home Depot the other day looking at the various drills and impact drivers.....and ended up buying a Rigid 14.4 volt impact driver because it was on a blowout for $50 (model # R82320). The other thing that attracted me to this over a standard power drill is that the impact driver was much smaller and lighter.

I suspect this driver would get used once or twice a year. Would this be a good all around, general use tool that could be used as a conventional drill when needed?

I know the advantages of the impact driver are more for screwing in things versus drilling holes....but I have read that the impact driver could be used for drilling holes on occasion.

The thing that attracted me to this Rigid impact driver was the size, weight and price over the comparable conventional drills. I just want to make sure that I'm not buying something that has a specialized use.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    James

Re: Impact driver versus drill for normal household use

Your good to go, you should be fine, The impact driver is good because you won't strip as many screws ans with a drill. for simple drilling it can be used. each tool has a specific use. drill for drilling and impact for driving screws.

Comment

Standard drill bits will not work with this driver. In order to drill with it, you'll need to get some bits that look like these.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Sometime you would do well to pickup a low cost variable speed drill. This should be a corded model and most likely a 3/8" chuck model. When you need to do any serious hole drilling you'll be thankful to have it. Unlike a cordless model you need not worry about batteries for it and that they are just sitting around.

Later on if you get more serious into doing DIY projects you can upgrade your power tools at needed.

I really think you'll love your new impact driver for driving and loosening screws.

Comment

i have both the impact and the drill both 14.4 volt, i try never to use the drill to drive screws, it is slow, does not put the screw in as tight.
          ihave used my impact to do some drilling, but a set of quick change drill bits for your impact and it will handle most small hole boring required around the house.

once you go Orange you never look back

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I will keep this impact driver as the price is right and it seems like it's going to do the job for me.

When the time comes for me to drill holes, I will buy a set of quick change drill bits as suggested.

Thanks again!

James

Comment

Working...
            X