Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new power miter box with slide.

I am ready to replace my older Hitachi 10" miter saw. I am thinking of going to a saw with a slide as to have a bit more versatility. If I use a sliding saw I may be able to go with a smaller diameter blade. I use my saw for my home shop...remodeling my house (2 room additions added) and my current project of converting a bus to a motor home. I have most of the exterior work done (sheet metal and 14" roof raise) and with Spring fast approaching I am looking forward to starting the complete interior finish. Any experienced recommendations for a new saw would be appreciated.

Note: I have used a new saw one of my boys own and it has the new style handle that you grab with a fist and pull down...I find this much more comfortable then the old pistol-grip style handles.

Re: Looking for a new power miter box with slide.

I'd say one of the new Bosch mitre saws. My buddy just got one a bit ago. Very expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. The construction is top notch, and the accuracy is phenomenal. A very well designed and machined tool.

Comment

Yeah, that Bosch saw looks good with the motor back out of the way and the dual slides.

Comment

All of the Makita LS1013 models are top notch sliding compound miter saws. An added plus with this saw is that the stock blade produces very high quality cut results so replacing it with an after market blade isn't necessary....money in the pocket.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The Dewalt DW718 will cut 6 1/2" Base against the fence because of the cut out behind the arbor.

Comment

Bosch 10" slider.

Comment

I would recommend looking long and hard at both Bosch and Makita. Stay away from wild features you most likely won't use. Be sure that the saw you do buy has the capacity for anything you'll need to cut. As for the blade that comes with it, some brands and models do come with nice quality blades and many others come with junk grade blades. Consider this when pricing them.

All in all more than likely once you own and use a really good miter saw you'll want to get a really good blade or two for it. Keep the junker blade for ruff work and save the good blade(s) for fine cutting on valuable work.

You'll want a good stable base for it too. Don't use it on saw horses, a junky little table or on the floor. That's asking to get hurt.

Comment

I keep my miter saw setup on a stand with a shop vac hooked to it. In good weather I sometimes move it outside but I always leave it bolted to the stand. I no longer have to move my tools from job to job and I am fortunate enough to work out of a Home Shop.

The biggest thing I would likely use it to cut would be a 45 on 1X6 trim or sometimes 2X6.

Do the the Bosch and or Makita slide saws have enough travel to 45 a 2x8?

Comment

The Makia LS1013 10" SCMS's maximum cutting capacity at 45° is 2" x 8¾". I'm not sure what it is on the Bosch.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    The Makia LS1013 10" SCMS's maximum cutting capacity at 45° is 2" x 8¾".
                    Wow, that's a bunch.

Comment

I have used a lot of other sliding cms but I would agree with Badger Dave on the Makita. I love the one I picked up last year, and the stock blade was absolutely great until my uncle decided to cut a bunch of aluminum soffit with it. But I guess now I have an aluminum cutting blade too.

Comment

i to am looking for a new miter slide saw 12" size. i wanted to get the ridgid but heard about it not cutting straight and thats just a waste of money. i was intrested in getting the bosch 12" slider. i would really like to get a peek at it somehwere at a sales center. anyone no of where you can find one to look at in the lower bucks county area of PA? im not fond of buying somehting ive never even seen for what it costs. i see it has alot of good feedback along with the 12" makita. quite the pickle.

Comment

Hitachi makes a great 10" slider.Model C10FSH. Sometimes Lowes has these on sale. Amazon has them for $429 or so but keep your eyes peeled at Lowes. I paid $375. I have two of these now,one for the shop and the other goes to work with me.This saw is accurate right from the box,is not as heavy as other saws and will serve you well. Makita and Bosch make a good product too, but the choice is yours.
                          Good luck in whatever you buy.

Comment

i work for a construction supply company. we sell Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, and a few other brands.
                            i personally have a Ridgid 12" double bevel CMS because i got it a a better deal than i could get a Bosch or Makita at cost. i do love the Ridgid and an 100% happy with my ownership.
                            my boss got a Hitachi 12" double bevel CMS the same time i got mine. he bought his at cost through the company and it is a nice saw no doubt, but i think my Ridgid trumps his Hitachi.
                            i will say that Bosch and Makita make some serious power tools. you can trust that their tools will last longer than you will need them to. they are also very precise. i would not hesitate for a second to buy either.
                            Last edited by TXST8tj; 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X