X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid vs. Dewalt

I am trying to deside between the Dewalt 18 volt kit and the Ridgid 24v kit.
    I install fireplaces and need mainly the recip. saw will the ridgid hold up to daily use cutting through roofs, 2x's and plywood???

Re: Ridgid vs. Dewalt

purchased the 4pc 24v li kit for a family member in plumbing. recip saw is best he's ever used...great power and balance. batteries have more power than 18v nicads and weigh less.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If you're looking for lots of power in cordless you probably want to look at the Bosch 36v, Dewalt 36v, or Millwaukee V28.

Comment

They're both good

1) Dewalt has a larger "family" of 18Volt tools that you could accumulate.
        2) Wait for the next-generation 48volt tools to come out if you want "real" power.

Comment

I have both sets of tools, and like them both. The Ridgid set should hold up fine. I use my saw all the time for cutting through walls and floors. Both are really good tools, and either one should work well for you. The biggest advantage for the Ridgid is the LSA. The advantage to the Dewalt is a larger availability of accessories.

Comment

For a cordless reciprocating saw I would look hard at the Milwaukee V28 but don't rule out the others until you check them over carefully. I really think you would want a corded Milwaukee Sawzall even if you also go cordless.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              For a cordless reciprocating saw I would look hard at the Milwaukee V28 but don't rule out the others until you check them over carefully. I really think you would want a corded Milwaukee Sawzall even if you also go cordless.
              I agree for reciprocating saw, Milwaukee Sawzall is really the way to go. For cordless the V28 Sawzall is the way to go. They are a little more expensive normally but until the end of the month Milwaukee is running a promo for free tools which makes the price very similar.
              Jay
              Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
              Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

i use both. best bang for the buck is the ridgid. dewalt is letting things get to there heads with there pricing and that new nanos technology. dewalt i think is using more and more parts in there tools also since they are getting lighter and lighter with every new line they pump out. ridgid has some wieght to them but i feel like they will hold up longer than my dewalt becaus eof more metal parts. dewalt takes an hour to charge ridgid is 30 minutes, good turn around there.

Comment

Originally posted by b4e2r0t View Post
                  i use both. best bang for the buck is the ridgid. dewalt is letting things get to there heads with there pricing and that new nanos technology. dewalt i think is using more and more parts in there tools also since they are getting lighter and lighter with every new line they pump out. ridgid has some wieght to them but i feel like they will hold up longer than my dewalt becaus eof more metal parts. dewalt takes an hour to charge ridgid is 30 minutes, good turn around there.
                  The ridgid 24v takes an hour to charge. Their ni-cad batteries take 30 minutes.

Comment

If a reciprocating saw is most important to you, then you should probably buy the milwaukee kit. AFAIK milwaukee is the only cordless reciprocating saw that use a wobble plate. All the others use a hypoid gear setup. The wobble plate is probably better for a reciprocating saw because it can get really beat up and still work OK.

If your only options are ridgid or dewalt, then dewalt makes the better reciprocating saw IMO. The 4-position blade clamp is a REALLY useful feature. I can't how many times that has come in handy. The ridgid has a better run time, but if that's a concern then just buy a mains powered milwaukee super sawzall and call it a day.

Also keep in mind that dewalt will be releasing a 28v lithium ion line.

Comment

Both will hold up, as cutting wood is a light snack for a recip. Milwaukee is very tough, as are the OLDER Dewalt 24v convertible cordless. The Dewalt is nice because it has an inverter battery(110>24v DC) pack so you can work around the clock.

Comment

Agreed that the Milwaukee is the best in Recip saws, cord and cordless.
                        The DW [used my friend's , an HVAC contractor who has many of the for his crew]is much better that the Ridgid [from my the 8pc kit ]which is not all that good , has way too much plastic in the build for demo work and works about as well as the Ryobi 1+ 18V I use for tree pruning because I do not to get sap all over my Milwaukee.
                        Since I can not find any 24V Ridgid batteries or kits in my area I can not comment since the 2 ,24V started kits I did manage to find had defective batteries and it seems that the 24V line is going to be changed or eliminated at HD according to the tool managers for whatever that is worth.

Comment

AM
                          When you express your opinion about the Ridgid reciprocating saw, are you referring to the 18V or the 24V maxselect? It would be nice to know whether the maxselect tool line are a step up from the 18V line. I appreciate your opinions on the Ridgid reciprocating saw but I also consider the LSA that may allow me to use the tool for heavy demo work. One HD tool guy felt that his store might not continue to carry the 3pc 24V because of the lack of sales. Your frustration expressed on a number of posts seems to have merit about the fate of the 24V. For a lot of DIY's the Ridgid line still offers the best value+LSA for the $$. My goal is to snag a lithium battery from some kit before the end of the month to lighten up my ultimate tree trimming/pruning tool.
                          Last edited by reConx; 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: update

Comment

reconx;
                            I have the 18v from the 8pc kit. The max select is just not a good idea in 18v use because the performance suffers. I would have preferred the 18v circ saw in my kit but the only tool that is maxselect and I do not like how slow it runs. I had bought 2 ,24v kits as well but the would shut down and there are no replacements, none on order and I was told that the maxselect line will be redesigned or discontinued. There is little value in having a 24v tool if there are no batteries. The recp max select recip saw has a tool free adjustable shoe, but as to build I do not know.
                            The 18v jig saw is excellent, like the build on the 9.6v screwdriver.
                            I think no one makes a recip saw as good as a Milwaukee, esp. with the anti kick design.
                            Yes I am frustrated with Ridgid/HD in this 24V battery issue.
                            The rep I contacted was nice but was also unable to find anything in his territory, I have been waiting over 1 month for an email reply from CS.

Comment

I am frustrated as there are no 24V batteries in HD stores, the 18V 3.0 is twice the cost of the Makita version, and running a maxselect on 18V causes the performance to suffer. The 8pc kit has a circ saw that runs too slow in 18v, all the other tools are 18v. Why they did that? Who knows. The jig saw and screwdriver are excellent builds.
                              The recip saw is OK but no Milwaukee. The maxselect recip saw has a different motor and tool free shoe.
                              The ridgid rep I talked to said that the maxselect maybe discontinued or changed in someway but he too could not find any battery 24v kits. There are ebay sellers, one bought 12 8pc kit, selling receipts/upc's for LSA off the boxes. Our HD's have been bought out in the 24V kits, except for a 3pc which is not a good deal on price, and I do not need another drill and recip anyway for $370.
                              24V tools on 18V batteries is a bad idea, my circ saw runs too slow, I would assume that the recip saw on 18V would be that same.
                              Last edited by Andrew M.; 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X