Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Tires

Hello
    I have the Ridgid BS14002 bandsaw and was wondering about the tires. When replacing the stock tires, do I replace both tires or just the one giving me the problem, which is in this case, the top one?

I have had the saw for about 2 years now and never had a problem with the upper tire (or bottom for that matter) until yesterday when I adjusted the blade tension and then the upper tire came off the back of the wheel and I got a horrible burning rubber smell! Thanks, Ron
    Last edited by Ronald; 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM.

Re: Bandsaw Tires

I just had the very same problem with my upper tire. I asked the same
    question, and was told that the original tires are junk, and to replace them both with urethane tires. I did that and it works great. I bet you
    live in a cold climate,with an unheated shop,which I understand makes
    those original tires go bad. Hope that helps.

Comment

amax
      I live in east tn and the bansaw is in an unheated basement/garage. It really doesn't get that cold, but I guess in thsi case, it did!
      Did you have any trouble putting them on? Do they come in different widths or do I just buy the 14inch ones and they will be the correct width? Where did yo buy them from? I see Woodcraft had tehm on sale a few weeks ago, wished I had bought them then. Anyway, thank you very much for helping. Ron

Comment

I bought mine from woodcraft. I think all 14" tires are 7/8". One person could
        do it,but it really helps to have a buddy help. Just remove blade, then old tires. Then clean wheels. Heat tires to 120 degrees for 5 minutes in soapy
        water. Then just stretch them over the wheels. Good luck. I live in Idaho
        and my problem really was a cold issue.

Comment

I change them on my BS1400,grey model, with the ones from Rockler, they were made in the USA and are orange. Do not know if they carry the same ones now. Just stretched them on, no soap or heating either, very tight fit work great compared to the rubber ones which are just not a good idea with the urethane type available.
          Balance the wheels too after you put on the tires.
          Take the tension off the wheels when you are not going to use the saw for awhile.

Comment

Hello
            I am going buy the orange tires form Sulphur Grove Tool. They are listed as:
            2 new 14" Urethane Band Saw Tires Bandsaw $29.95
            SULPHUR GROVE TOOL

You get 2 tires for that price. I am also getting the Fenner Power Twist link belt from them.
            My questions are about sizes. I measured the standard issue belt that came with my BS and it comes out at 40 inches (quite small, no wonder I can't open the lower door all the way!). Will the 4ft 1/2 inch width link belt be correct for my BS? Also, the urethane tires that they sell are a full 1 inch wide. Will these fit my wheels. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Any thoughts? Ron

Comment

Anybody have info on the sizes?

Comment

Here is the Rockler ones, $25, they fit , the stores have them too.
                  http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...andsaw%20tires

The link belt can move the motor so the door can open, I moved the saw to the edge for more support too.

Comment

Thanks Andrew M.
                    I saw those and they said they are backordered until 28 March. I then saw these on EBAY and they look like the same ones. They are 1 inch width. What is teh width of your tires? Thanks, Ron
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-new-14-Urethan...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I do not know but 1" seems right since 3/4" is the max blade width but I would not use over 1/2" for resaw. I use Tinberwolf from Suffolk Mach..

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                        Hello
                        I am going buy the orange tires form Sulphur Grove Tool. They are listed as:
                        2 new 14" Urethane Band Saw Tires Bandsaw $29.95
                        SULPHUR GROVE TOOL

You get 2 tires for that price. I am also getting the Fenner Power Twist link belt from them.
                        My questions are about sizes. I measured the standard issue belt that came with my BS and it comes out at 40 inches (quite small, no wonder I can't open the lower door all the way!). Will the 4ft 1/2 inch width link belt be correct for my BS? Also, the urethane tires that they sell are a full 1 inch wide. Will these fit my wheels. Thanks, Ron
                        Quick Update
                        Got the tires and link belt from Sulphur Grove Tools and could not be happier. They were quick and helpful. Much better pricing than any of the otherr places. Can not go wrong ordering from them.
                        For the saw operation, much better now!

Comment

You just have to shake your head in that if these manufacturers would include small changes like the urethane tires and link belt you could have a much better tool to market.

Comment

I agree. For about 50.00, they would certainly get and keep a better reputation for a quality tool if they added these items (and I know on a quanity basis, they could get them for alot less).

Comment

Working...
                            X