X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R82007 12-Volt Li Ion Compact Drill Driver on Sale for $103

I received this weekend's Home Depot flyer E-mail earlier today and see the subject driver on sale for $103. Combined with an earlier "Thank You" mailing this week which offer a $5 coupon for anything over $100, that brings the price down to $98. Not a bad deal, I think.

CWS

Re: R82007 12-Volt Li Ion Compact Drill Driver on Sale for $103

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    I received this weekend's Home Depot flyer E-mail earlier today and see the subject driver on sale for $103. Combined with an earlier "Thank You" mailing this week which offer a $5 coupon for anything over $100, that brings the price down to $98. Not a bad deal, I think.

CWS
    That is a good deal, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Yep, I just got a price-match refund yesterday on the one that I bought a couple of weeks ago - did a review of it in the Ridgid Reviews section.

Better option for a tool at that lower price.

Comment

Anyone find one that has a good chuck on it? They have excessive wobble on the ones I have tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
          Anyone find one that has a good chuck on it? They have excessive wobble on the ones I have tried.
          I've seen 3 HD's that have a few in stock but none have them on display. They seem to be pushing the Milwaukee version pretty hard.

Comment

I like the Milwaukee but I have the Bosch ps10,40 and I really like the 9.6v ridgid screwdriver [one of ther best tools]from the 8pc kit but I have only 1 battery.
            The rpms on all these small drivers are too low for drilling,I think the chuck also would be better as a 1/4" not 3/8" in tight areas .
            The PS40 is my favorite for driving screws, only wish it had an auto lock for hand turning.

Comment

I bought this a couple of days ago. I'm not sure about the "runout" or wobble on the chuck. Problem is I don't have anything that can accurately measure it. With a 5-inch aluminum rod chucked, there's some noticeable wobble at the tip... but it appears to be less than a 1/64th and frankly that could just be the rod itself. I can tell you that just looking at the chuck, the wobble appears to be significant, but it only take a second to see that the chuck sleeve isn't solid and without rotating the motor, you can wiggle the pressed metal sleeve that surrounds the chuck assembly.

On the old-style, keyed chucks the entire mechanism was machined steel. Most of today's tool-less chucks that I've seen have a pressed metal sleeve or surrounding the inner mechanism. In many cases, these "sleeves" are loosely fitted and will definitely wobble independant of the jaws, even when the shaft is locked.

So, to further not-answer the "wobble question" I used a 1/16 drill bit to bore a small hole in maple. With a magnifing glass, the bore doesn't appear to be perfectly round, but then my "hand" isn't as steady as it might have been either. So nothing conclusive, one way or the other! (I didn't snap the bit though.)

So, is this a precision drill? Probably not. But, I don't intend to do a lot of drilling at these low RPMs. It should be a nice driver though and I do like the clutch. The LED light however isn't worth much of anything, as you have to be at least two-inches from the end of the chuck for the screw to be illuminated. (Any shorter than that, and you're working in the chuck's shadow.) With typical driver bits being either one or two inches in overall length, I guess I'd be in the dark unless I use either an extension or order some of those super-long bits from McFeely's. Other option is to either get that baseball cap with the LED's on the brim or perhaps turn on the lights in the room! (But it does make me wonder why anyone would design a tool with an integral light, and NOT have it illuminate the targeted object where the tool is intended to be applied. Must be the guy used to work in the laser application dept. )

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

"(But it does make me wonder why anyone would design a tool with an integral light, and NOT have it illuminate the targeted object where the tool is intended to be applied. Must be the guy used to work in the laser application dept. )"

Exactly, Ridgid seems to be hit or miss on these things. There are excellent LED's now that could have been used instead of the 5 cent one in the tool. I have an $8 tactical flashlight 3V LED that will kill this light. The compact drill is the same way. My PS40 LED is actually usable. Even the Ryobi one on the impact driver is better .
                Would not a good 1/4" chuck be better as well?
                Ridgid and keyless chucks just seem to be not a good match. Their cordless drills seem to be excessively heavy, esp. that 14.4v . Or they make a circ saw with a flimsy plastic base[maxselect]. The jigsaw is excellent , even has an all metal lever which bosch does not have. The 9.6V screwdriver is the best I hav ever used in that type of design. It is not like they do not know how to build a good tool.
                I hate the sloppy sleeves and they seem to be using even cheaper chucks now, they do not even use the ratchet type let alone an all metal one. I actually did some adjusting on my 12V Ridgid drill/driver which does ratchet[Nicad] to get some of the wobble out. The newer one has an even cheaper chuck and the metal/rubber chuck ring is now all plastic.
                The corded RA drill I have from Ridgid is keyed and is good.
                I think they are trying to position themselves down, away from Milwaukee tools toward the Ryobi line, but are charging about the same because of the LSA.
                Last edited by Andrew M.; 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Went to depot today and opened a box up, the driver is not on display, I am surprised at how
                  heavy the tool is compared to the Milwaukee or Bosch compact drivers, the handle to wrap your hand around is large, again more so than the Milwaukee or Bosch, my hand size is large and still it required a meaty grip to hold on to it. The LED light is only fair. While the driver is
                  is still decent it is not in the league of the Bosch or Milwaukee, therefore I "think" the price should be about $89.00, oh yeah the chuck, the chuck sure could use some improvement.

I went to Rockler woodworking and looked at the 7.2 volt Metabo, it has a chuck that is very good, nicad batteries and a nice feel to it, while not as powerful as the others mentioned, a very well thought out design overall.

Comment

Working...
                  X