X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question: what are "good blades" to cut laminate flooring

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Call a professional, stop being cheap.
    ROFL!!! Good advice tho...as I remember hearing something like that from someone....

Laminates are tricky because the substrate can be anything from a metallic (Pergo) to OSB. Pergo is not even really wood on the surface. There are many that have a very thin real wood surface. The problem comes with the substrates. You need to find out what exactly you're dealing with to know what kind of saw to use. A pro will know, and know what tool to use to cut it properly.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Call a professional, stop being cheap.

HAHAHAHAHA, your stalking me ben???

thanks everyone for the replies!!

sadly, me installing my hardwood floor will not cause someone to get sick, explode, cause major property damage, or not to vent or drain properly....(Ben)...it will just look like crapola.....errrr

nice try on the good point though, made me laugh my azz off.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

LOL.. I remember that too.

BTW, "CHEAP" is my middle name ... (bite me ) so me cheap-weekend-worrier will seek help from those experts who are willing to share their expertise, this is what makes this board is designed for .. info sharing.

Happy DIY-ing.

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        ROFL!!! Good advice tho...as I remember hearing something like that from someone....

Laminates are tricky because the substrate can be anything from a metallic (Pergo) to OSB. Pergo is not even really wood on the surface. There are many that have a very thin real wood surface. The problem comes with the substrates. You need to find out what exactly you're dealing with to know what kind of saw to use. A pro will know, and know what tool to use to cut it properly.

Comment

I've done it two ways:
          1. With a very fine tooth (for paneling, I think) non carbide blade on a cheap table saw. There was some burning / smoking, but it worked well enough for a living room and dining room.
          2. With my new Ridgid Miter Saw. The carbide tipped blade that came with it cut through the laminate like butter, but the next week, I couldn't cut oak or pine or anything.... It cost me $12.50 to get it sharpened and now it's better than new, so no big deal.
          How does a professional become a professional? Flip a switch?

Comment

just buy a cheap carbide tipped blade for you miter saw, it will work good, but man it dulls the crap out of the blade, i was dumb enough to use my good 80 tooth finish blade, and i paid dearly for it,...

Comment

When we did the Pergo in the basement, the whole job was an excuse to purchase a CMS. At the recommendation of the Pergo rep. at the store, we got a cheapo 90-tooth carbide blade for the saw. This was in the days when Pergo was new, and all they offered was the glue-in. Their stuff hasn't changed in how it's made, just in how it's joined. We were able to do the whole basement with that one blade for the major cuts and jig saw blades for the notches. It came out well. The "show" cuts, even near the end of the job, were still good enough. They get hidden anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Make SURE to leave the 1/4" gap everywhere you can. Otherwise the floor is going to buckle on you. These floating floors do a lot of seasonal moving around. We never had a problem with ours (DIY-cheapster-done) but our friends buckled like an ocean (professionally installed....and re-installed).

Stair treads might be a little different. Since the front will be open and can move, you can leave the back flush to the riser and should probably be fine. The risers will have to have a larger gap at the top since gravity is going to push them flush at the bottom. If one side of the stairs is "free", you should be ok too. I've never seen or done stairs with laminates, but I know it can be done.

While I'm not about to install complex plumbing or A/C systems, I think most of us can figure out a floating floor. My earlier post was really just a dig at the plumbers for constantly yelling at us sawdust makers for trying to install anything that handles wetworks. It's all in fun. I believe we should all at least try to do these things.

"Remember, amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic!"
              Last edited by VASandy; 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

It is the cutting method on a CMS, as I said. A SCMS would be OK. Most pros use that and a circ saw or small JSTS and under cut saw for the jams. I use the Bosch Fine Saw cut for the door jams but a hand saw and a scrap piece on the floor base for a spacer will also work.
                I think the new snap joint, no glue type is so easy almost anyone could do it.
                I also have used a circ saw for rip cuts but I prefer the JSTS because of the DC.

Comment

Tks for the valuable input, VASandy.. no worries, I understand where yuo coming from, my comment is just to echo to something which barks, I personally find it funny

BTW, back to the original topic, I DID thnk of using laminates on the stairs... but I've decided to stick with wood.. I heard comment that no all laminates meet codes.

Cheers

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                  While I'm not about to install complex plumbing or A/C systems, I think most of us can figure out a floating floor. My earlier post was really just a dig at the plumbers for constantly yelling at us sawdust makers for trying to install anything that handles wetworks. It's all in fun. I believe we should all at least try to do these things.

"Remember, amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic!"

Comment

I started laying the laminates last night, just want to share that it ain't too bad, thanks to the tips and hints you have shared.

There are 4 rows of lamintes needed 45 deg miter cut, I started try using the TS but the pre-attached pad (those sold by COSTCO) caused a lot of friction, making it impossible. I ended with the non-slider 10" although I needed to flip it once to complete a miter cut across the ~7" wide plank, to much of my surprise, I was able to make decent cuts with that.

The TS did make the cross cut a snap... lucky for me that I've a home made sled which bailed me out from the same friction issue as I mentioned above.

BTW, you're right... they did chew up the blade as quickly as 5~6 planks.... I bought two "cheap" Erwin last week ... but at this rate, I gotta pay HF a visit today

Overall, ain't too bad for my FIRST flooring job.. Tks again for your advise.
                    Last edited by Wagon Man; 03-25-2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I've put a piece of scrap on the bed of my MS (Delta 8-1/4") that raises up the piece to be cut. This can give me about another 1/2in of cutting capacity.

Make sure the scrap piece is flat and well secured. I don't use it when making a miter cut, just 90 degree.

Comment

I used a HFT 10" combo blade, FK with large teeth, $7 on sale 50th did a 12x14 Rm with the costco fooring, that did not have the foam attatched. I used a TS, and the blade is still good. CMS is not a good method unless you want to buy a lot of blades.
                        The heavy teeth hold up better that the TK. The blade I bought has copper plugs and expansion slots. This one looks cheaper now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46231

Comment

Tks for the lead, Andrew. I never have known that it is more tolling (to the blade) to cut with MS than with TS. Why is that?

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                          I used a HFT 10" combo blade, FK with large teeth, $7 on sale 50th did a 12x14 Rm with the costco fooring, that did not have the foam attatched. I used a TS, and the blade is still good. CMS is not a good method unless you want to buy a lot of blades.
                          The heavy teeth hold up better that the TK. The blade I bought has copper plugs and expansion slots. This one looks cheaper now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46231

Comment

Well Wagon Man, if your question has been answered, may I hijack this thread long enough to ask if anyone has used laminate in a bathroom??????
                            If so, what are the problems to watch out for? (other than your aim...)
                            I know this is opening the door for all kinds of remarks....but a good answer will be worth it
                            Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Doesn;t bother me if you'd carry the baton, dog

One word came to mind : "leak" (no, not yours, but the pipings of the bathroom )

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                              Well Wagon Man, if your question has been answered, may I hijack this thread long enough to ask if anyone has used laminate in a bathroom??????
                              If so, what are the problems to watch out for? (other than your aim...)
                              I know this is opening the door for all kinds of remarks....but a good answer will be worth it

Comment

That's why in the 'Beware HGTV' Thread, I said I'm sure I need a professional plumber!!!!!
                                Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Working...
                                X