Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question: what are "good blades" to cut laminate flooring

BD,
    Laminate is very durable against surface damage versus hardwood but most laminates will not tolerate moisture or high humidity that can be generated after a hot shower. Laminates + moisture can swell up and require replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by reconx View Post
      BD,
      Laminate is very durable against surface damage versus hardwood but most laminates will not tolerate moisture or high humidity that can be generated after a hot shower. Laminates + moisture can swell up and require replacement.

Yes that is true. I have perrgo orig. in my office bathroom and there is some damage even though the bordres are sealed, joints glued. It slmost impossible to have awater tight seal around all the areas, especially the door jam. If you want a wood look , there are ceramic tile planks that actually look good and then a water seal would be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
        Tks for the lead, Andrew. I never have known that it is more tolling (to the blade) to cut with MS than with TS. Why is that?
        I answered that on page 2, b/c I had dulled a 90th Freud blade fast on my DW706 12" CMS.

"I dulled a 90th 12" Freud blade on my DW706 miter saw. The blade of choice is a TCG not ATB carbide and to use a SCMC, RAS, Circ saw, jig saw, table saw etc. because the miter saw drags the tips across the hard coating and dulls fast on a plunge/chop type cut . The tips need to enter the surface at 90* not parallel to the surface.
        "The TCG blades can be expensive and I do not use them for flooring.
        [Charles M. from Freud explained that cutting problem to me. ]
        No cuts are precision ones on the ends anyway so I buy cheap HFT carbide blades and toss them when dull. I use my job site TS with a cleansteam filter and the ridgid shop vac, 16gal. and the ridgid airfilter. You can also use 7 1/4" circ saw blades which are the cheapest.
        That dust is toxic to inhale and most saws without DC will throw that dust everwhere and miter saws have terrible DC built in and it is used at face level too.
        Bosch BTW makes lamnateflooring blades for the jigsaw"

Comment

AM, I'm glad that you brought up the topic of toxic dust. Many construction guys and DIY's are exposed to all types of dust and do not consider the consequences until it is too late. Dust varieties from cement, drywall, insulation, saw dust, etc., are not considered "toxic" by some people but the long-term effects to health are known/unknown (the NY tower rescuers). It cannot be over emphasized for protective gear, ventilation, and filtration systems. Buying the best systems can be just as important as the best tool! Be safe!
          Last edited by reConx; 03-26-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Ooops.. sorry, my bad......

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            I answered that on page 2, b/c I had dulled a 90th Freud blade fast on my DW706 12" CMS.

Comment

Working...
            X