X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: what are "good blades" to cut laminate flooring

Hi.. a DIY project coming up to replace carpet with laminate flooring (bought from Costco with the $5-off coupon). Any recommendation on 10" blade for laminate?

TIA.

Re: Question: what are "good blades" to cut laminate flooring

If you'll be using a miter saw to cut the laminate, check out the Freud LU97R010.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-14-2008, 08:15 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Dave, I only have a 10" Miter and since the planks are ~8" wide, so I don't think I can use my miter saw... pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Plan is to cut with my TS2400, I trust that the blade you suggest should be good for it too, right?

Tks!

Comment

Wagon Man, personally, I prefer not to use a negative hook angle blade on my table saw so I wouldn't recommend using that blade. A negative hook angle blade, when mounted on a table saw, can have a tendency to lift up the piece being sawed and push it back at the operator. That's just my opinion and others may have a different viewpoint.

I haven't had enough experience working the laminates to recommend a good blade to be used on a TS for cutting it. Hopefully, hewood will chime in with a suggestion.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

On my last job, I used a non-slider miter saw to make the cuts on the 8 inch wide laminate boards by flipping the board around. With practice I was able to make perfect cuts but they were not really important to have perfect edges because the ends went to the baseboard and were hidden by the baseboard. I did notice the saw blade becoming progressively dull and the cut edge getting a bit rough. Laminate must be pretty tough on the blade so I may not invest in a expensive blade for these types of cuts especially if they will be hidden cuts. I will use my slider or table saw the next time for wider boards.

Comment

So.. table saw is out. Yeah, that make sense, I don't need a perfect edge on the cut end... between buying a slider and a imperfect edge on the hidden end, I choose the latter

Well, I think I will use some stop block, should help.

Originally posted by reconx View Post
            On my last job, I used a non-slider miter saw to make the cuts on the 8 inch wide laminate boards by flipping the board around. With practice I was able to make perfect cuts but they were not really important to have perfect edges because the ends went to the baseboard and were hidden by the baseboard. I did notice the saw blade becoming progressively dull and the cut edge getting a bit rough. Laminate must be pretty tough on the blade so I may not invest in a expensive blade for these types of cuts especially if they will be hidden cuts. I will use my slider or table saw the next time for wider boards.

Comment

It's not as fast, but I used a jig-saw. Cut it with the good side down. Worked fine for me.

Comment

just use an old, junk blade because laminate will ruin a good blade on the very first cut.

Comment

My jig saw blades took a beating cutting laminate flooring for notches or cuts around plumbing. Luckily most jig saw blades are inexpensive compared to circular/table saw blades. After a few cuts the blade will be worn down so be sure to have a couple extra blades because pushing the a saw with a dull blade is not good for your safety or the saw.

Comment

Oh yeah.. those notches ... I forgot the jig saw blades completely ... Thanks, guys!

Apparent to you all, this is my 1st laminate flooring job ... hope that after the 1st room is done, other rooms will go thru much smoother & quicker.

Comment

I dulled a 90th 12" Freud blade on my DW706 miter saw. The blade of choice is a TCG not ATB carbide and to use a SCMC, RAS, Circ saw, jig saw, table saw etc. because the miter saw drags the tips across the hard coating and dulls fast on a plunge/chop type cut . The tips need to enter the surface at 90* not parallel to the surface.
                      The TCG blades can be expensive and I do not use them for flooring.
                      [Charles M. from Freud explained that cutting problem to me. ]
                      No cuts are precision ones on the ends anyway so I buy cheap HFT carbide blades and toss them when dull. I use my job site TS with a cleansteam filter and the ridgid shop vac, 16gal. and the ridgid airfilter. You can also use 7 1/4" circ saw blades which are the cheapest.
                      That dust is toxic to inhale and most saws without DC will throw that dust everwhere and miter saws have terrible DC built in and it is used at face level too.
                      Bosch BTW makes lamnateflooring blades for the jigsaw.
                      Last edited by Andrew M.; 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Tks, Andrew...

I LUV this board... information and knowledge base from here is phenomenal !

Comment

So a jig saw is the best idea? how is the control? I have stairs, and I would need to cut a lenght wise, 3', good control with a jig saw? I am a plumber, I could cut it with a sawzall, but I don't think thats a good idea
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            So a jig saw is the best idea? how is the control? I have stairs, and I would need to cut a lenght wise, 3', good control with a jig saw? I am a plumber, I could cut it with a sawzall, but I don't think thats a good idea
                            Call a professional, stop being cheap.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

A jig saw will give a reasonably straight and 'neat' edge, but it will not be perfect. Normally laminate flooring is designed to have a gap at the edge to allow for expansion, which is covered up with the trim at the edge of the floor. If you need a perfect edge, a jigsaw may not be the right tool. I'm sure guys on this forum can tell you the best way to get a good edge; if it was visible, I would probably use a handsaw for each piece. If you try the jig saw, remember to cut the laminate with the good side down as the saw pulls thrtough the material, if the 'good' side is up, you will pull the top material away from the laminate and the finish will be worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X