X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forstner bits with electric drill

Can forstner bits be used with an electric handheld power drills? I know that they are mainly for used in drill presses but just want to know if they can be used in electric drills.

Re: Forstner bits with electric drill

You can but just make sure that you back the bit out often to clean out the hole so as not to over heat the bit and scorch the wood.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What about the titanium coated forstner bits vs the high speed still bits. Which of the two would be better? I know that the titanium coated would last longer but cannot be resharpened.

Thanks,

Comment

It's my understanding that the primary importance of titaneum nitride (TIN) coating is to facilitate the dissipation of heat. So, even if resharpened, the remaining TIN on the upper portion of the tooling may still provide some advantage, I would think.

However, that said, you'd still have a heat challenge using it with a hand-held power drill. Primarily, it's a lack of control. With a drill press, you can generally control the feed rate, feeding and extracting with little effort. That's a bit more difficult with a hand-held.

Using a "drill-guide" with a hand-held drill would provide better control, but one needs to still take care not of burn the bit.

The other challenge of course is that you're pretty limited to smaller Forstner bits. Trying to hand-hold any significant size Forstner would definitely hurt if the bit grabbed.

CWS

Comment

I have to agree with CW on this one. Was always under the impression that they were for drill press use only. Tried with a handheld drill once, and it really just kept trying to ride away even before I got a good start on the hole.

If anyone watched Trading Spaces several weeks ago, one of the carpenters was using a handheld drill (Ridgid, no less) and a forstener bit to drill out holes for a concealed door hinge. I almost had a heart attack when I watched them start it.....it was a big bit too, and the first thing it did was slip off the mark and scratch the plexi that was in the door. Imagine if they had a piece of glass instead.

-Chris

Comment

Depending on what results you need, maybe you could use a hole saw or a self-feed bit??? To me Forstner bits are for use with a drill press when I must have very clean round holes with a flat (not drilled all the way through) bottom.

Comment

I watched tool belt diva [watching for the WW advise]and she used an 18V 1+ ryobi , freehand, to make a 4 leaf clover design in a shutter , and actually did not slip. That was not melamine though, pine where you could press a ctr. hole to guide the hole with the bit.
              I use an old Portalign drill guide , all metal made in San Diego,CA, if I can not use a drill press . Bought it in the 70's when I worked PT at Sears.

Comment

Who is "tool belt diva"?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Who is "tool belt diva"?
                  I think these links should help answer the question. To me she is just a big mouth *** saying that guys can't get the job done but girls rule. LOL

http://home.discovery.com/fansites/t...lbeltdiva.html
                  http://home.discovery.com/fansites/t...a/bio/bio.html

Toolbelt Diva is a D I Y television program on Discovery Home in the U.S. Hosted by Norma Vally, this half-hour show encourages and empowers women to take on home improvement projects themselves.

Comment

Well, nobody ever told me that Forstners were for drill press use. I use them quite often for doors, they work great for handle installations. Dave, the Diva only made about 6-8 shows before being cancelled but can still be seen on Discovery channels, pretty funny show most of the time.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

It is not all that serious of a show. I was being sarcastic on the WW tips, but she did make the holes OK, maybe it was because the guys on the other show used a Ridgid drill with the forstner bit instead of a Ryobi. OH, I forgot they are both made by TTI, anyway.....
                      As far as the big mouth, she is from Brooklyn, NYC, that is they way the always talk and besides Norma, is way better to look at than Norm!
                      You can always turn off the sound too.
                      Last edited by Andrew M.; 03-15-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Andrew,

I still have my old "Portalign" that was purchased from Sears' back in the early 70's. Still use it often, and find it great for drilling when you want exactly perpendicular holes. Nice for deck use, and when drilling shelf pin holes, etc. Only thing is you have to dedicate a drill to it, remounting the chuck to the Portalign

Two years ago my wife bought me a more modern version, but the newer drill guide appears to use softer aluminum and too many plastic parts. The independant chuck is nice, but they should have put a hex shaft for inserting into your drill's chuck. Too easy to get slippage.

CWS

Comment

I put a 3/8" Hitachi keyless chuck on it and then just put whatever drill you want on it. There are no well made portable ones like that, all metal. I do oil the bushing and wax the guide posts. One of the best things is that if you extend the posts beyond the base it will auto center the bit. Great on door lock installs.

Comment

Working...
                          X