X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Milwaukee V28 4-1/2" Angle Grinder

This new tool is available as either the bare tool 0725-20 or as a kit 0725-21

For more info on this tool just click the link.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...C?OpenDocument

Note: I messed up the link. As of 03/14/2008 at 20:12 EDST, I have it fixed. It should work and so should the link in post #3 which has additional information on this new tool.
    Last edited by Woussko; 03-14-2008, 08:13 PM.

Re: New Milwaukee V28 4-1/2" Angle Grinder

Link doesn't work, Woussko.

Comment

Let's see if this link works better.
      http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._195138_192137

Comment

Yeah, baby! That's better.

Thanks for that link. Cool lookin' tool. Now...if only Ridgid would release that exact same tool in the MaxSelect line-up. I completely have no reason to buy a cut-off tool (/angle grinder)...however, I would so spend the money on it (and find a reason to use it ), if it could work on the same batteries as the rest of my tools.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          Yeah, baby! That's better.

Thanks for that link. Cool lookin' tool. Now...if only Ridgid would release that exact same tool in the MaxSelect line-up. I completely have no reason to buy a cut-off tool (/angle grinder)...however, I would so spend the money on it (and find a reason to use it ), if it could work on the same batteries as the rest of my tools.
          Very nice looking tool and it does come in handy after using the reciprocating saw, smooths those sharp edges. I would also like to see a 1/2" heavy duty impact gun, I'm sick of dragging a cord in and out of my garage. Ridgid doesn't seem to be in any hurry to add these or any other tools to their cordless line, so when I'm ready I'll probaby go with the Milwaukee V28. I saw their 1/2" impact gun which puts out 325ftlbs of torque on eBay for $124.00 new, tool only. If I pick up a starter kit with a couple batteries and charger for under $400.00 I'll be set. Sure would be a heck of a lot easier if Ridgid would just market these tools.

Comment

I'll probaby add one of these for convenience but I do take note of a few of things.
            It's not variable speed. For some cuts, I start at a lower speed and make a nice straight line before turning it up and cutting through. My 12 amp Milwaukee's max speed is 11,000 rpm; this cordless runs at 8,000. Not sure how much difference this will make. I like the paddle switch (with a safety and an option to lock it on) more than the slider. Looking at the picture, it doesn't appear that the handle can mount on top of the tool, only left and right. When cutting a concrete surface or something laying flat on the floor, I find handle on top gives the most control. If it's under $150 for the bare tool, I'll buy one.

Comment

Unfortunately it's not under $150 for the bare tool. Here are the prices from Ohio Power Tool.

0725-20 (tool only) $199.20

0725-21 (tool, charger & battery) $348.21
              Jay
              Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
              Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by thedcdude View Post
                I'll probaby add one of these for convenience but I do take note of a few of things.
                It's not variable speed. For some cuts, I start at a lower speed and make a nice straight line before turning it up and cutting through. My 12 amp Milwaukee's max speed is 11,000 rpm; this cordless runs at 8,000. Not sure how much difference this will make. I like the paddle switch (with a safety and an option to lock it on) more than the slider. Looking at the picture, it doesn't appear that the handle can mount on top of the tool, only left and right. When cutting a concrete surface or something laying flat on the floor, I find handle on top gives the most control. If it's under $150 for the bare tool, I'll buy one.
                Most 4 1/2" grinders don't have variable speed so thats not a feature most people will miss. As far as the spindle speed I'm guessing it's slower to add some gear reduction for more torque. Dewalt runs theirs at 6,500rpm probably for the same reason. I have the 18v Makita grinder which does 10,000 rpm same as corded ones but it has almost no torque. It will stall on the slightest bind.

Comment

For a corded angle grinder with serious power and variable speed here are a few to look at.
                  (These take 4-1/2" or 5" wheels)
                  http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/hand..._00925_42.html

http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/hand..._01426_42.html

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192170_192137

(This one takes 4-1/2" wheels only)
                  http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192170_192137

All are electronic speed controlled. The Metabo have a wider speed range than the Milwaukee, but knowing someone that has the 5" Milwaukee I can say that is one wild and powerful little angle grinder. I'm sure the Metabo preform well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    Most 4 1/2" grinders don't have variable speed so thats not a feature most people will miss. As far as the spindle speed I'm guessing it's slower to add some gear reduction for more torque. Dewalt runs theirs at 6,500rpm probably for the same reason. I have the 18v Makita grinder which does 10,000 rpm same as corded ones but it has almost no torque. It will stall on the slightest bind.
                    The Makita is great for light use and as a cut off tool. It has current control to prevent the user from burning up the tool...that is why it "stalls" to prevent the tool from failure.

Comment

I know it has current control to stop the motor but my point was that that's precisely why it would need such a feature. The shut-off cuts it off right as it's about to stall to keep the motor from burning up. Grinders are power hogs and even with 28v or 36v batteries they still fall way short of a corded one. Lowering the gearing is a good way to help solve that but comes at the expense of its effectiveness. That's probably why Dewalt which runs theirs at 6,500rpm actually calls it a "cut-off" tool rather than a grinder. They are not very effective for most grinding but do a fine job for cutting.

Comment

Working...
                      X