X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something - Radio/charger

I agree with everyone it would have been cool to have had the combo charger built into the radio. But its been throughly patented by a competitor.

The thing I don't get is if you are plugging a radio into an outlet why not plug the charger in as well?

Its cool having it integrated but I think I am missing the big advantage in it.

Josh

Re: Am I missing something - Radio/charger

Maybe if you only have a one plug outlet? Or an extension cord with only one outlet to it, like a block heater extension cord?

Oh crap - Josh, you started another thread on this??!!?!

LOL.

Comment

What's the matter Josh?...sales a little flatter than expected? Doesn't surprise me really. Lots of puffery on this one. Just didn't seem to live up to the hype. I still might buy one but I can wait til summer when the price drops below $100

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        I agree with everyone it would have been cool to have had the combo charger built into the radio. But its been throughly patented by a competitor.

The thing I don't get is if you are plugging a radio into an outlet why not plug the charger in as well?

Its cool having it integrated but I think I am missing the big advantage in it.

Josh
        josh there is nothing wrong with it it is just something for people to complain about .i have a dewalt radio and i do not use the charger a lot .

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        Maybe if you only have a one plug outlet? Or an extension cord with only one outlet to it, like a block heater extension cord?

Oh crap - Josh, you started another thread on this??!!?!

LOL.
        whats wrong with a power strip
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Josh,

If you look back at the original posts where you guys asked for advice on the radio I posted outlets are often limited on a job so a power station with outlets would be a big plus. Now some may have to choose between the radio and the charger. I'm sure they will find a way to make it work but they may whine about it a bit.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorry, but it sounds blah next to the Milwaukee, like the early DW. I heard them side by side.

Comment

I'm not going to complain about the radio, what done is done and I'm sure a handy guy could black tie a charger on the frame and run a single plug off them if it was that important. I am going to complain about the lack of new tools for the 18 volt line. Like I posted on the "Ideas For New Tools" thread, why not a 1/2" heavy duty impact and 4 1/2" cut off tool like DeWalt, Milwaukee and a few others have? Ridgid stepped up and came out with the 3.0AH 18 volt battery but has not offered a good compliment of tools to go with it. I'd rather not switch brands if I don't have to but the Milwaukee 1/2" impact with 325ft lbs of torque is on ebay for $124.00 tool only. I've written to Ridgid but no answer so far. Let the radio go for now and let's have a greater variety of tools, please!

Comment

For me the lack of a charger is more of a concern when coupled with the price. This radio is in the exact same price range as the dewalt and bosch and both have chargers. Now sure I could just go out and buy another charger and rig it up to the radio and be done with it, but by the time I do this, it is one incredibly expensive radio. This radio, in my opinion is priced at least $50 to high. It offers nothing that would make it worth more than $100 tops.

For $50 or less, I can go out and buy any number of radios that i can easily build a nice box around it and do the same thing other than the race scanner, which in my opinion is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen incorporated into anything that calls itself a jobsite tool.

Sorry if I offend somebody at Ridgid, but this was designed by a guy in an office and not somebody that has ever been on a jobsite. I like my ridgid tools, but I would not disgrace my other tools by putting this one next to them. I don't get how Ridgid can sell the 3650 for such a great price, and then this radio is at such a ridiculous price?

Jeff

Comment

To me the it's just a matter of lugging less stuff around. It's true you can just plug in the charger on the outlet next to it but the way I see it jobsite radios are ideally chargers with the convenience of a radio, not the other way around. It's nice to be able to just carry one item instead. For all the features that are packed into them it's still hard to to shell out over $100 to do basically the same thing a $10 radio will do. The charger option simply makes it a very practical item.

I don't think the ability to run off your tool batteries is a strong selling point either. Most people probably don't shell out for enough ~$100 batteries to have the luxury of running a radio off them. Chances are you'll want those extra batteries in the charger ready to cycle as soon as the one on the tool runs out rather than have your radio draining down the few you have. My $0.02.

Comment

Try out the Milwaukee V28 model 49-24-0280 Job Site Radio and then the Ridgid. There's just no buying the orange one.

Comment

valid points. I am not trying to defend the radio. Its not perfect. It will work for some and may not for others.

I really have always been curious about that though.

Mark, your right that woulda been a good one to include (outlets)

Comment

Hey Utah,

You've got the wrong type of tool/toolcase in that picture in your avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                          Hey Utah,

You've got the wrong type of tool/toolcase in that picture in your avatar!
                          Would this be better?

Mark
                          Attached Files
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            Mark, your right that woulda been a good one to include (outlets)
                            I think the biggest compromise, if Ridgid couldn't get around the patent issue with DeWalt to include a built in charger, is to make certain adaptations to make it easier for customers to set it up themselves.

Firstly, big item missed - outlets (like a GFCI panel like the Bosch has). Two at a minimum, but like Bosch's, two panels of 2 would have been better. I also like the dust covers (a nice adaptation of that would be a double-outlet cover, and then 2 single covers, to allow any assortment of unused outlet to stay covered).

And then...there should have been some sort of a mounting setup to work with the Ridgid chargers. Some sort of a docking bay, if you will, for a charger. Maybe something of a two peg setup, to work with the pocket hole hanging mounts on the charger. That way, someone can "mount" one of their chargers to the radio, and have it run through the outlets.

(Amazing though, how I've come up with this design idea, and some consulting/design team probably went through millions of dollars, yet didn't apparently come up with it. I'm telling ya, Ridgid, I'll design this crap for you, and won't charge you nearly as much, but will be able to make you millions, as apparently your current design team is lacking a bit! )

Either way though, even if this had been included in the radio, it's still overpriced. I want one, as I've been waiting for them for years like a lot of others. However, I will wait for it until it drops to about $89, as for me it's just another radio, albeit one that can run off my Ridgid batteries (scanner doesn't have a broad enough range, lack of charger/charger option, don't have an iPod yet). And I don't understand how Milwaukee can have Rockford Fosgate speakers to their radio, and it sounds so good, but the Ridgid (also a TTI brand, like Milwaukee) can have such crappy sounding speakers to it.

Comment

Saw the radio, listened to the radio, looks cool, handle seems uncomfortable - an indented plastic strip to grab onto would have been nice, sounds all right, but I already have the Milwaukee.........

There is no way this thing is anywhere near as cool or nice sounding as the Milwaukee...

The ipod deal is kinda keen though, I will give it that.......

Otherwise, I'm kinda mehh on it....

If you already have all the Ridgid stuff and you wanna complete the set.....then I guess you'd want one....

Maybe if you're buying a mitre saw and stand and you get one for free - the recent deal here in Canada.....

Otherwise, looks like a free tool promo now, maybe a clearance item come next January......
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X