Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Dimensions

Hi,

I am wrestling with purchasing either the TS2400 or TS3650 saw, and one thing that could help in the decision is knowing what footprint the TS3650 uses. I found elsewhere here that the TS2400 uses 25" x 17.25" when folded up, but found on another site that the TS3650 may use 15.3 square feet. That is a lot! If anyone could provide the dimensions the TS3650 would occupy, would appreciate it!

Thanks,

- Phil

Re: TS3650 Dimensions

Approximately, 64½" wide x 41" deep x 41¼" tall.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Remember you need plenty of room on all 4 sides when using a table saw. If storage space is an issue you may want to look at hybrid table saws where the motor is under the table rather than out back as it is with a contractor type. Then get a mobile base so you can move it around. The little job site saws are handy but don't have near as large a table and ripping large sheets is hard going on one of them. Try to think of all the sawing work you need it to do for you. Then post more about that and people that own both models can comment. The TS3650 is way more machine than the TS2400 is, but do you need it? If you have a lumber yard with a good table saw or a good panel saw and big radial arm saw, you may do fine with a smaller table saw. The first time you need it for large work is when you'll be wanting a big table with extensions and a good rip fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        If storage space is an issue you may want to look at hybrid table saws where the motor is under the table rather than out back as it is with a contractor type. Then get a mobile base so you can move it around. The little job site saws are handy but don't have near as large a table and ripping large sheets is hard going on one of them. Try to think of all the sawing work you need it to do for you. Then post more about that and people that own both models can comment. The TS3650 is way more machine than the TS2400 is, but do you need it?
        Since I am a complete and utter novice to woodworking, and not even sure about the level of interest I have or what exactly I will be doing, your comment on what I need the saw to do for me, really hits home. The best answers I can come up with are these kinds of projects.

- Overhang for a patio.
        - Deck construction.
        - Work bench for garage and nicer bench for wife's hobbies (inside).
        - Sprinkler valve box (to hide and shield valves).
        - Bookshelves (including floating type).
        - Closet shelving.
        - Shoe rack, simple bookcase, stereo rack, shadow box, stair railing.
        - Crown molding & baseboard (I have the Ridgid 10" miter saw).
        - Garage cabinets, racks, tool storage.
        - Deck bench, chairs, railing, etc.

I really don't think I would be getting into fine furniture making.

I tend to subscribe to the philosophy of "buy nice, or buy twice", and I do not want to buy more than one saw if possible, by outgrowing my first saw. Somewhat difficult to do, if you do not know the future full extent of your interest level from the outset!

The space savings from the 2400 is welcome, but can accommodate the 3650. The TS3650 looked appealing as it is $62 more than the TS2400LS ($466 vs $404). The Sears hybrid 22114 is $729, a lot more than either Ridgid, and probably too nice for what I have planned.

Thoughts?

- Phil

Comment

With the exception of the garage cabinets most of the rest of the projects you listed could be done with a sliding compound miter saw. Add a circular saw and you could do the cabinets also.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            With the exception of the garage cabinets most of the rest of the projects you listed could be done with a sliding compound miter saw. Add a circular saw and you could do the cabinets also.
            Hmmm..., it would seem I better be asking WHAT tools I need vs what model of tools that I presumed (perhaps wrongly) I needed. Will ask that in a separate thread.

Thanks.

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
              - Work bench for garage and nicer bench for wife's hobbies (inside).
              - Sprinkler valve box (to hide and shield valves).
              - Bookshelves (including floating type).
              - Closet shelving.
              - Shoe rack, simple bookcase, stereo rack, shadow box, stair railing.
              - Crown molding & baseboard (I have the Ridgid 10" miter saw).
              - Garage cabinets, racks, tool storage.
              - Deck bench, chairs, railing, etc.

I really don't think I would be getting into fine furniture making....

- Phil
              Whether fine furniture or not, you will be making furniture!! If you can accomodate the space, you will have a lot less grief with the 3650 (or 3660 now, I guess) as opposed to the 2400. Altho you can make these items without a TS, it will make a nice finished project much easier to achieve. The 3650 will make it that same amount easier with one caveat. You said you already had a CMS. Get an MSUV (portable stand) for it if you do not have one as it will make the decks, railing, overhang, etc much easier to do. If you cannot afford the MSUV, at least buy one of those easily assembled canopy things so you can leave the CMS/bench/table, etc set up and in the shade/out of the rain, while you are working on them. [Don't know if you have TSC (Tractor Supply Company) or comparable out there, but I bought a 10' x 20' canopy for $100 that takes 20 minutes to put up/take down, and has been invaluable for those outside projects.]

Just another thought

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I'm building the chop saw station that I saw Norm build on the NYW. I'll adjust the size to fit my smaller MS and smaller workspace. It's another option if $$ are tight and you get the experience/pleasure of building it yourself.

Comment

Thanks. I find myself rather confused now on what I really NEED, in part because I am not entirely sure what tools do what work best. It does seem that a compound miter saw or even a radial arm saw, could do most of what I want. And a circular saw plus guide could do long cuts, for long shelves. It all makes me wonder just where does the tablesaw fit in? What can it do that the other two more compact tools combined, can't do? Lastly, I am doing some crown molding miters, and is a sliding compound miter saw accurate enough for this, or should I hang onto the Ridgid 1065LZA CMS, plus the SCMS?

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                    Whether fine furniture or not, you will be making furniture!! If you can accomodate the space, you will have a lot less grief with the 3650 (or 3660 now, I guess) as opposed to the 2400. Altho you can make these items without a TS, it will make a nice finished project much easier to achieve. The 3650 will make it that same amount easier with one caveat. You said you already had a CMS. Get an MSUV (portable stand) for it if you do not have one as it will make the decks, railing, overhang, etc much easier to do. If you cannot afford the MSUV, at least buy one of those easily assembled canopy things so you can leave the CMS/bench/table, etc set up and in the shade/out of the rain, while you are working on them. [Don't know if you have TSC (Tractor Supply Company) or comparable out there, but I bought a 10' x 20' canopy for $100 that takes 20 minutes to put up/take down, and has been invaluable for those outside projects.]

Just another thought

Go
                    OK, but as I posted elsewhere here, it seems a compound miter saw along with a circular saw and guide could take the place of the table saw. From what you say, the TS makes the job easier, and I suppose, possibly deliver superior results. I ask because a circular saw, guide, and SCMS take up a lot less space than a TS3650!

I am so new, I did not know what an MSUV was, but found out. That is excellent, and I do need one of those. Not too expensive, and will get one, as I need something like this soon. How is the Ridgid model?

- Phil

Comment

Thanks. I find myself rather confused now on what I really NEED, in part because I am not entirely sure what tools do what work best. It does seem that a compound miter saw or even a radial arm saw, could do most of what I want. And a circular saw plus guide could do long cuts, for long shelves. It all makes me wonder just where does the tablesaw fit in? What can it do that the other two more compact tools combined, can't do? Lastly, I am doing some crown molding miters, and is a sliding compound miter saw accurate enough for this, or should I hang onto the Ridgid 1065LZA CMS, plus the SCMS?

- Phil
                      The TS will get you two things:
                      - Repeatable cuts without any kind of measurement
                      - The ability to work with small workpieces

I am building closet shelving. I did most of it with a circular saw, but will use the TS for the following:
                      - I am making applied moulding to serve as edge banding. I am simply routing it into a 1x4, and then cutting 3/8" of an inch off the long edge. I don't think you can't do this safely w/ a circular saw.
                      - I need 5 shelves that are the same size. You could do this with a circular saw, but setting up the fence on a TS is easier.

I will use the CMS to cut the molding to rough size, but might use the TS to get a cleaner final cut (b/c I have a zero clearance insert on the TS and not the CMS.

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        The TS will get you two things:
                        - Repeatable cuts without any kind of measurement
                        - The ability to work with small workpieces

I am building closet shelving. I did most of it with a circular saw, but will use the TS for the following:
                        - I am making applied moulding to serve as edge banding. I am simply routing it into a 1x4, and then cutting 3/8" of an inch off the long edge. I don't think you can't do this safely w/ a circular saw.
                        - I need 5 shelves that are the same size. You could do this with a circular saw, but setting up the fence on a TS is easier.

I will use the CMS to cut the molding to rough size, but might use the TS to get a cleaner final cut (b/c I have a zero clearance insert on the TS and not the CMS.

Charles
                        Charles, this really helps. Oh...we just had an earthquake. 3 miles away according to the USGS. Mild, but I heard it more than felt it. Makes me wonder about running lumber through a tablesaw and have the ground start shaking!

Your comments echo would I thought would be the case. COULD be done with a circular saw, but more of a pain.

- Phil

Comment

Another good question is how much space is needed around a TS? I know it depends on what you're planning to build, but are there some guidelines that we can use?

Comment

Approximately, 64½" wide x 41" deep x 41¼" tall.
                            Does the 41" deep dimension including the motor? This will help me decide on room availability.

Thanks,

- Phil

Comment

Does the 41" deep dimension including the motor? This will help me decide on room availability.

Thanks,

- Phil
                              Phil, yes, the 41" deep measurement does include the motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X