X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400LS review questionable?

I was about to buy the TS2400LS this weekend when I ran into this review on Amazon where the guy says this..

The Rigid has plastic gears that raise and lower the blade, a terrible dust collection system, and a 15-amp motor that runs more like a 10-amp.

So any truth to this or is this a problem?

Thanks

Re: TS2400LS review questionable?

Originally posted by rom57 View Post
    I was about to buy the TS2400LS this weekend when I ran into this review on Amazon where the guy says this..

So any truth to this or is this a problem?

Thanks

I don't own the Ridgid saw, but the Amazon review is highly questionable, especially when compared to other reviews (found off google).

Comment

Amazon doesn't even the sell the Ridgid do they?

Comment

Review is not true. All 2400 models are excellant saws.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

This thread is bullship! No review like that on Amazon and Amazon does not even know what a Ridgid saw is. they think Ridgid and Ryobi are one in the same. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...00LS&x=13&y=24 Josh, you can trash this thread and the original poster. LOL
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

As a finish carpenter and cabinet maker, I have used my ts2400ls for more than two months on the job and have found it to be very accurate, enough to use in making custom cabinets on site. I have had no problems with the motor's power. It is one of my favorite "on site" tools. There is nothing wrong with plastic. As in metal, there is both high and low quality,and plastic won't rust. Who wrote that review anyway?? It is in conflict with the reviews I read before buying it.
            Last edited by bruce k; 03-17-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I buy lots mail order from amazon and others and generally read the reviews.Just remember these are a personal review and the person might have gotten a lemon or might not know how to really use whatever the item is.These reviews are not done by a professional review type person that has experience using the type of product.When looking at personal reviews I use a sliding scale something like this...
              1-4 personal reviews saying the samething I might believe
              5-10 saying basically the samething its generally believable
              Over those numbers you'll always get some that like or dislike a product then usually the majority are right in their personal reviews.
              On the other hand if you see something like a tablesaw thats reviewed by someone that constantly use 1 and theres 3 or 4 of them saying the samething its usually good advise.
              Sam

Comment

Papadan,

First off, I asked a legitimate question based on a review that I read on Amazon mentioning the TS2400LS while reviewing the Bosch.
                Not expecting a flame like yours. Just asking questions so I can make a sound decision.
                Before you go trashing me, have the courage to look at the review yourself before you go calling me BS and having me banished.
                Here’s a link for you.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00067IX1A/ref=pd_bbs_2_cm_cr_acr_img?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showVi ewpoints=1

It’s the 4th review down by some guy named Steve, called (Top Of The Line, June 23, 2007) second paragraph.

Apologies accepted. Papadan.

Onward with banishing.

Comment

I know the Bosch has plastic gears, and is very expensive to fix as it iis an assembly part.
                  The new Makita has metal gears and soft start which is what I dislike about my CM pro job site, the hard start. My CM/Hitachi saw has metal in the design, not plastic except in the bushings.

Comment

The gears to raise and lower the blade are in fact plastic. They are pretty big and not likely to be much of a problem though. It's not a high stress part. No one here has complained of that part failing. It sure would be nicer if they were metal but I would not write it off just because of that. The dust collection isn't the greatest but it still does a reasonably good job of catching the bulk of the dust. Dust collection is not a strong point in any single portable saw. As far as the motor, it has plenty of power for a direct drive universal 15a motor. I use mine all the time to cut through hardwood at full blade depth and even dado's with blades stacked at full width and it handles them just fine. I don't see how the reviewer can claim it's underpowered unless he's comparing it to a contractor or larger saw with more powerfull induction motor.

Comment

IT IS NOT TRUE the ridgid is the bes saw out there i got one and couldnt be happier it has plenty of power i dont know if the blad raising gears are plastic but even if they are they work fine

Comment

I don't own the saw, but I have examined it to a lengthy degree and have certainly read a wealth of owner comments, etc.

I ended up going with a Ryobi BT3100, but only because it was a fantastic buy on closeout ($135). Had that not occurred, I would be the owner of a TS2400 at this time, as it was my top choice in that price range. I'll probably still go that route in another year or so, when money isn't so tight.

I do know that it's PapaDan's choice and his recommendation after several years of use, carried a lot of weight with me. Especially after seeing some of the projects he has posted.

One of the things that seems constant with so-called reviews, is that there's always some character that pops up and totally rips a product. You never quite know whether he's got the lemon of all lemon's or has done something really stupid and now blames the tool or the manufacturer and is out to "get even".

Best thing to do is exactly what you have done... start asking around. Get some experienced opinions and go take a look at the saw yourself (that is if your local HD still does tool displays. If not look at other HD's).

Regarding the "Plastic" comments. We live in a world of plastics... and some plastics are better than metal. Afterall, all metals are not the same and you can find some pretty poor quality junk that looks like top quality steel. With the Ridgid product, you've got a manufacturer that provides an excellent 3-year warranty, a 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee, and with registration, a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. Just from a cost point of view, I'm sure they don't want to be replacing cheap plastic gears for the rest of your life! To go along with that, I don't recall ever reading a complaint about failing gears on the TS2400.

The saw has some very nice features in a very portable package. It also appears to offer a good level of precision and therefore is quite popular.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thank you CWS and the rest.
                          Unfortunately the two local HD stores do not carry the 2400. I had seen one of these at some other HD store but it was chained down and it looked as if someone had taken a dislike to it so I couldn’t evaluate the fence or other basic functions. So I tried to get as much info as possible from reviews and forums.
                          I do not dismiss the saw for having plastic gears. Only wanted to know if this had been an issue with other users and other pros and cons. I realize that a portable saw will never have the accuracy or the refinement of the full-blown pro saw but when space is an issue then portable it is.
                          Nor am I about to spend 600+ on a Bosch 4100 portable when I could have owned a Jet hybrid saw for few dollars more.
                          My first choice was actually the Dewalt due to accurate fence but they left out the
                          T-tracks and few reviews including the service centers have mentioned the word recall on some saws. So 2400 is now my first choice.

Comment

My TS2400 ....best tool purchase I ever made.
                            Plenty of power, super acurate, smooth cranking on them plastic gears.
                            It don't boarder mee!

Last edited by Davet; 03-20-2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Hey, ..post number100!... I'm now a senior member!!!!
                              Yeah !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X