X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rusty Compressor Tank

Any idea on a rough estimate on how much it will cost to run a test?

Comment

At a very rough guess as I've never had it done...minimum 1/2 the cost of a new tank...my best guess is more then the cost of a new tank.Figure in their shop labor price the cost of insurance etc.Just buying a tank isn't very cost effective when you compare cost of a new compressor setup.
      Sam
      Originally posted by mheriot View Post
      Any idea on a rough estimate on how much it will cost to run a test?

Comment

To hold back the blast of an exploding tank, even a little one you'll need a steel reinforced 12" think concrete block wall. They let go with a serious KABOOM. Please just buy a new tank and be done. Be sure to buy and install a new pressure relief (safety) valve too. Places that work on air compresses should have the safety valve or you can get them from Ridgid customer service. If you can post the specs on it, I may be able to post a link to where you can get one along with pressure gauges and more.

Because your tank is small, you might get a fire extinguisher service center to hydrostatic test it for you. There are 2-1/2 gallon air over water type fire extinguishers all over in commercial buildings. They have to be pressure tested every 5 years by code requirement. The equipment used to test one of them should work fine for a small compressed air tank. The cost of doing the test makes me think you would just be better off to buy a new tank.

Sometimes buying used ends up costing more than buying something new. The fun and learning of fixing something up may be worth many times the money paid out.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Sometimes buying used ends up costing more than buying something new. The fun and learning of fixing something up may be worth many times the money paid out.
          Yea, I will probably just buy a new tank. I was trying to save myself the embarassment of paying more to fix up a used unit than it would have to buy a new one. If I buy the new tank I will have spent just under the price of a new unit but I have essentially rebuilt the entire thing. I have already installed the new safety PRV you suggested in the last post; I installed it when I put in the new regulator assembly. At least if something goes wrong with the compressor in the future I will know exactly what I need to do, how much it is going to cost, and where to get the parts to fix it. Thanks again to all for the suggestions and help in rebuilding this thing.

Comment

HD sell that unit new for 249.00 with a warranty http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=524403

Comment

Thanks for the post but I am obviously not going to go out and buy a new one at this point, that would be ridiculous on my part.

Comment

Plywood will not save you from a tank explosion, get a new tank to be safe.

The Aluminum compressors will not rust so I recommend them.
                Last edited by Discostu; 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X