Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Miter Saw

Hello to one and all,

I herd thru the grapevine a few years ago that Ridgid was making a Battery Miter saw. Any truth to the matter? Bosh has/had a 10" single compound 24/18 volt saw and Ryobi had an 8-1/4" 18volt single compoud saw does it seem like there is not enough useage for a cordless saw???

Sincerely
    The Doorman

Re: Battery Miter Saw

Actually, I would think that a battery operated saw would have a much better use now more than ever because of the companies upgrading to a lithium technology. Take the 8 1/4 Ryobi miter saw for example. This saw from what I hear would chew through Nicad batteries like crazy before ( I believe it as i own the Ryobi cordless circ saw and grinder and have seen how fast you can go through a battery with those tools ) Now, you have lithium batteries which last much longer so with a tool like this, many will have longer run times. Also, the Ryobi cordless miter saw pops up on E-bay every so often and people are getting between 200 and 250 roughly on there. Wow, I remember when these went clearance a couple years back and we sold through them for like 30 bucks a piece. Anyways, the battery miter saw would be a great tool for cutting trim work and just for making a cut here and there where you don't wanna break out your corded, basically for ease of use.

Comment

As of now, Ridgid does not have a battery miter saw but this would be a nice addition. I think it would be a perfect max select tool.
      For all Repair and Cleaning needs in DFW, call THAT GUY! 817-565-7508

Comment

I've got one of the Ryobi 18 volt miter saws and use it for exactly that - trim items and an occaisional 2x cut here and there when I don't want to drag around a larger miter, or am not near the shop. Bought it about three years ago on an HD closeout for $39 and love the little thing. I know that Bosch has one but the price/cost was vs $39 was a no brainer. Stuck a buddies Ryobi 18 volt lithium in it and it flies as the Ryobi lithium has a much greater amp hour rating than the weaker NiCads. I just don't want to spring for the lithium batteries, another charger, or new drills that I know I don't need nor will ever use just to get the batteries. Would be an interesting tool for the Max Select line with the 24 volt 3 Ah option. Love to see that one.

Comment

Anyone know why Ryobi stopped making that 18 volt miter saw? I remember seeing it in H/D for $149.00 years ago. When I retired I bought myself a 10" Bosch sliding compound saw and swapped a buddy for his 12" DeWalt. The Dewalt is a great tool but man it is huge, and to be honest I didn't need to go bigger. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Like my request for Ridgid to make a 4 1/2" grinder and 1/2" heavy duty impact gun for the 18volt lithiums, I'll add a cordless miter saw to the list. Come on Ridgid, folks will either buy from you or another brand and if you don't make the tools you're not even in the running.
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-25-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Looks like the cordless miter saws just arent that hot of an item. Dewalt also makes 24v one but only available in europe. http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/p.../catno/DW017N/

Comment

Oh man, I also would love to see this. Sell it as a MaxSelect tool, and running it on a 24 volt battery?! Yeah, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                Looks like the cordless miter saws just arent that hot of an item. Dewalt also makes 24v one but only available in europe. http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/p.../catno/DW017N/
                Took me a while to do the math on the blade size. 216mm is about 8 1/4 inches which is the blade size of the Ryobi miter. I think that the reason that the portables aren't a hot item is because of the users penchant to treat the miter as a "chop" saw. Everyone that gets behind the handle of my portable wants to throw the blade at the wood and usually it's with a not so good result. But with some finesse, it's a useable machine. It's well made, as a portable would have to be because it's always travelling, and with an Irwin laser and Freud blade, coupled with a Senco Cordless Nailer, trim and pick up jobs are a breeze. In the past one guy inside would pass measurements to another guy outside who would make the cuts and pass the material inside - too slow and costly. Forgot, carry the Ridgid cordless vac also as there is going to be a few shavings.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                  Took me a while to do the math on the blade size. 216mm is about 8 1/4 inches which is the blade size of the Ryobi miter. I think that the reason that the portables aren't a hot item is because of the users penchant to treat the miter as a "chop" saw. Everyone that gets behind the handle of my portable wants to throw the blade at the wood and usually it's with a not so good result. But with some finesse, it's a useable machine. It's well made, as a portable would have to be because it's always travelling, and with an Irwin laser and Freud blade, coupled with a Senco Cordless Nailer, trim and pick up jobs are a breeze. In the past one guy inside would pass measurements to another guy outside who would make the cuts and pass the material inside - too slow and costly. Forgot, carry the Ridgid cordless vac also as there is going to be a few shavings.
                  Sounds like music to my ears.

Comment

I've got the Ryobi, although in truth I haven't used it much. I got is as part of a set that included a small plastic "cabinet" to store the other tools in the set. The miter saw is secured to the top and can be used in that position.

Comment

A) What size blade do you need it to have?
                      B) Cutting capacity?
                      C) Number and type of cuts per hour?

Please everyone try to realize that even with the new 36 Volt Li-Ion batteries it just can't have the power or stamina of a corded model. With that said, for lighter work and only a few cuts per hour, it sure would be a very handy tool. I would like to see one where more than one battery could be used in parallel connection to give it more run time. As long as the user feeds it slow, there's no reason why it can't do a nice cutting job. This would apply to a 10 inch model too. I think the real reason we don't see any large cordless miter saws is that there's just no way to get enough energy stored up in a battery that's both small and light enough for most power tools. Miter saws require a powerful motor and that takes lots of electricity to run. If several batteries of a popular type could be used, then we might see a serious model.

Bottom line: Wait a few years as there are battery improvements in the works and soon we will have super power cordless power tools. If 5 years ago someone had made claims of what the current Bosch and Dewalt 36 Volt tools can do, they would have been laughed at. The next 5 years will being some wild tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X