Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press Selection

Hi,

Would like some guidance on a floor drill press selection. I can get the Ridgid DP1550, or the following Craftsman unit for $30 more.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=drill+press

BUT, no store I can find has any in stock. The local store will sell me the floor model for 20 - 30% off. That could mean a price as low as $231 for the Sears model (OR20541). The Sears has a quill lock, but frankly, don't think I would be using it. Both have sufficient quill travel. Quill travel on the Craftsman is a threaded rod/nut arrangement while the Ridgid is on the feed handle. I am mostly just boring holes, but want a quality machine.

As another matter, I have found Sears incredibly difficult to deal with (the machine is on sale, but you can't even order it, and no one knows why). I very much like the Ridgid forum and support. But, am willing to go Craftsman if it means a superior tool or better value. Also, taking a Ridgid box home in our van is a lot easier than loading the Craftsman, but I can find a way.

Thoughts?

- Phil

Re: Drill Press Selection

Well lets throw another one into the mix.
    I have the Delta 16-1/2" Drill Press w/ Laser Model: 17-950L
    It has 3-7/8" quill travel, a low speed of 250 rpm and a really neat
    14" x 18" woodworker-friendly table includes T-slots, a removable insert
    & tilts 0-45° forward & 0-90° left and right w/ positive stops at 0°, 45°, & 90°
    On sale it's about the same price as the Ridgid.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...50L&lpage=none

$231 is a great price for the Craftsman, but if there is something wrong with it will they give
    you the same run around as trying to order one for getting replacement or repair parts.

Comment

Not trying to take away from the thread, but ...... can I buy that DP table from Delta? Coolest thing Ive seen, was going to get a 3rd party one but that one looks nicer!

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
        Well lets throw another one into the mix.
        I have the Delta 16-1/2" Drill Press w/ Laser Model: 17-950L
        It has 3-7/8" quill travel, a low speed of 250 rpm and a really neat
        14" x 18" woodworker-friendly table includes T-slots, a removable insert
        & tilts 0-45° forward & 0-90° left and right w/ positive stops at 0°, 45°, & 90°
        On sale it's about the same price as the Ridgid.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...50L&lpage=none

$231 is a great price for the Craftsman, but if there is something wrong with it will they give
        you the same run around as trying to order one for getting replacement or repair parts.
        Wow, how did I overlook the Delta 17-950L?! That IS nice, and reviews are pretty solid on Amazon. Not on sale at Lowe's right now, but what kind of discount do the sales typically provide? Given the features on the Delta, I am inclined to go with it, but have to watch "price creep".

Thanks.

- Phil

Comment

I checked out the Delta 17-950L at Lowe's, and really liked the table. However, I think the quill travel was a bit less than the OR20451 Craftsman (922900), and if anything, thought the Craftsman fit and finish may have been superior. I also prefer the depth rod type adjustment on the Craftsman vs the Delta measuring set-up found on the quill crank wheel. Still, the table is ideal, and is pretty hard to resist. Sears customer service regarding their machine is worrisome, and will pass on the floor mode, despite the attractive price. Who knows how that thing was assembled. Anyone have other pros/cons on the Delta 17-950 or 17-965 drill presses?

Thanks,

- Phil

Comment

If the purchase price will sway your decision the Delta 17-950L at Lowes will be 15% off from $369 to $313.65. The bench top model at 15% off went from $179 to $152.15 For the price they both appear to be built well.

Comment

I bought my DP 1550 when it was on closeout back in 2003 but have only recently put it together. (It's the old gray color, but other than that is identical to the current model... I got it for $180 (NIB), and couldn't pass it up at the time, even though I knew I wouldn't be able to use it for a few years.

It is very well made, has no run-out on the quill travel, and it runs quietly. The quill travel is smooth operating and the travel depth is adequate for my uses. I do like the collar-type depth stop over the convention rod and nut, but it did take a bit of getting used to.

I haven't looked at the newer Craftsman offerings or the Delta. I do remember looking at those a few years ago and as I recall, the Ridgid impressed me more with it's fit and finish. While I generally like some of the Craftsman tools, I wish they'd upgrade their warranty to be more competive with other brand offerings. The 90-day Satisfaction, 3-year warranty, and Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is a big plus for Ridgid consideration, IMO.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X